Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 06:17 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,571,033 times

Advertisements

I always dry clean my wool blankets. It only costs about $15.00. I'd never wash them in water as it might ruin them, and they cost about $200 each.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 06:22 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
What is with you people? I have bought several Pendleton, Woolrich or other high quality wool blankets over the years at auctions or house sales. I still have a few, but my only objection to them is that they tend to be scratchy. If I didn't live in the deep south, where it never gets very cold, I would have kept all of them.
Some people see germs and bugs everywhere. Jeeze. MOST people have clean and bug free homes.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:27 PM

31,885 posts, read 26,916,776 times
Oh please!

Just dry clean the thing, or wash according to care directions if provided, however if they aren't then best go with the first.

You cannot find the quality of vintage wool blankets today unless paying several hundreds and sometimes not even then. Smart money has been scooping up vintage Saint Mary's an other wool blankets at estate and yard sales, shrifts etc... That it gives some of you the willies thank God I say. Makes for less competition to the rest of us.

Wool has natural anti-bacterial properties to the idea of a blanket made from the stuff being infested is a bit of a stretch. Suppose if you took one fresh from a smallpox victim and used it that would be one thing.
Wool blankets were standard issue in hospitals and care homes for decades. Places stopped because of mainly cost and the fact people (such as families and or employees) kept swiping the things.

http://www.woolrevolution.com/virtues.html

Old 10-01-2015, 06:37 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,587,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Wouldn.t even put it in my trunk to take to the dry cleaners. Anyone ever watch "Infested" on Animal Planet ?
I don't have cable.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:52 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,246,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Wouldn.t even put it in my trunk to take to the dry cleaners. Anyone ever watch "Infested" on Animal Planet ?
I have a large grey wool blanket got at a Salvation Army store. No, they don't wash donations. I got lots of stuff there and a few other thrift shops which never had problems, including my favorite pair of boots which eventually wore out. My blanket is a layer of wool on either side of filling and it will keep you toasty warn on the coldest of nights. Add a few dogs snuggled with you and its even better. (Yes, I sleep with my dogs and several cats.)

My only regret about where I live now is used is pretty much used up and there are fewer good thrift stores. People here tend to use things until they have to replace. But I'm still harvesting the foam from cushions found free for other things.

These shows which show really bad houses are the worse of the worse, but still a lot of the stuff could be cleaned up and used. I'm all for buying old used stuff and giving it a new life. My favorite cable series which makes me feel like I really want to be there is Pickers. The problem would be getting me OUT of some of the places they go since I'd need to see everything.

People need to be reasonable about dirt and such things, but we've gone way way over the line with the make your house sterile approach. Each time a relative of mine sees a bug she sprays the room. I won't go there. I'm sure the bug is far less danger than making the house a toxic waste dump.

And since there are a lot of thrift stores and they have plenty of customers its good to see that most people understand that we're made to live in a non sterile world, and its far better to wash something and give it a new life than drain more resources from our Mother.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:37 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,770,758 times
I just washed it in a washer with hot water and dried in a dryer also on hot. Didn't seem to change anything about the blanket.
As tp the negative replies about buying a used blanket what do you people do when you stay in a motel. Their blankets and sheets and pillows have been slept on by hundreds of people.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:36 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,153,276 times
Of course I would bring it into the house, but would seal it in a plastic bag, and then have it professionally cleaned only after making sure it's not a high quality or a collector's item.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:39 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,621,220 times
Gross

Old 10-01-2015, 10:16 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,609,027 times
Why wouldn't you clean it? You ZERO idea what's living/growing on it! Bigfoot could have little Bigfoots growing in it. Ew.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:43 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,413,825 times
I don't know why people are squeamish about this. I would buy a used wool blanket - and be very glad to find it! - but would not use it before dry cleaning. 100% wool WILL shrink when washed in warm water and throw into a dryer. If you don't want to dry clean, wash in cold water with Woolite and lay it somewhere to dry - I hang stuff on my deck furniture all the time.

All blankets now are fleece, which is fine, but I wish I could still find the acrylic blankets with satin binding at a reasonable price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House