Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 06:19 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
From what my plumber told me, they only make 50 and 75 gallon water heaters now (notice I left out the hot ). Originally, I wanted a 60 gallon.

Edit: My A.O. Smith last 17 years. Is that good or normal for one to last that long~?
Uh oh! Mine is about that age now.....without looking it up, I know it was installed before 2000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 06:28 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,047,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Uh oh! Mine is about that age now.....without looking it up, I know it was installed before 2000.

I never had issues with it until the frigging gas company turned off my gas without me being home. They had to come over three times, and twice of that, they to light the pilot and it just never was right since as far as getting hot water, barely warm~! I always have trouble with our gas & electric company~!

Old 10-08-2015, 06:43 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
I never had issues with it until the frigging gas company turned off my gas without me being home. They had to come over three times, and twice of that, they to light the pilot and it just never was right since as far as getting hot water, barely warm~! I always have trouble with our gas & electric company~!
Well, mine is electric, no gas lines where I live.

I wonder if gas and electric water heaters have the same lifespan?

Anyone know if one tends to outlast the other?

Old 10-08-2015, 07:09 PM

715 posts, read 1,039,814 times
Default Fwiw. We have a State Select

Quote:
Mine was an O.A. Smith and I'm waiting to have my Bradford White installed. Is that a good brand~? What about Lochinvar~?

Had it installed four years ago and so far, so good.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:46 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
A "hot water heater"?
If your water is already hot, why would you need to heat it?

The term is...water heater, NOT "hot water heater".

That being said, I am of the opinion that State water heaters are better than either Bradford White or A.O. Smith.

Technically you're wrong, hot water starts at 110 or 111, so if you heat the water to 120 degrees, you are heating hot water. As a plumber I call them water heaters, but either will do.

The lifespan for any tank type water heater is 10-15 years and the only thing guaranteed with a water heater heater is eventually it will leak. Most of the gas water heaters I have installed a little over 140, have been for customers who primarily have wells, well water depending where you live can be acidic, full of Iron, and or hard. On those replacements, the water heaters mostly were aged 6-8 years.

There is only 3-4 different manufacturers of water heaters in the US, State used to be garbage, from say early '90s to early 2000's, I'm not sure if they are independent or manufactured under one of the 3 or 4. They had so many element problems with their electric water heaters, especially the 40-50 gallon single element ones, people still refuse States.

Rheem and Bradfords are my favorites, Rheem sells to Home Depot, Bradford only sells to plumbing supply houses, I believe.
I just put in my 547th water heater, that's from 2005 - current, all of them were Rheems, Bradfords, and State Power vent gas water heaters, all of them as far as I know, are working properly.

States Power Vent gas water heaters are really nice, I can't say the same for Bradford or Rheem in that capacity. Power Vents are used when the home doesn't have a chimney to vent the bad gas from the home, they are usually vented with 2-3" PVC pipe.

Currently the only water heaters I recommend home owners to stay away from are Direct Vent water heaters, especially in garages where the code calls for the water heater to be 16-18" off the floor, or Whirlpool water heaters( although Lowe's used to give a lifetime warranty on some of these) so you might get one for free, other than that no way would I ever install one.

Last edited by James420; 10-09-2015 at 12:17 AM..

Old 10-09-2015, 05:45 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
My plumber recommends and installs Bradford White. That's what gets installed in our rentals and personal homes.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:34 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,047,978 times
Question Question of the Night

When my plumber installed the hot water heater, he told me it needs to be set (I thought he said) between A and B, but I'm finding it closer to C. I think he also recall him telling me that the dishwasher and washer needs to be at temp 130, so that is why it is set the way it is. So, what is the temp the water heater needs to be at~? What do the letters represent~? Thanks. I'm a bit worried that it is too high since it is close to C.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:27 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
I love Bradford-White and never had a bad one... buy a water heater every couple of months for property mgmt.

Also have had good luck back in the day with the $88 30 gallon gas heaters sold by Home Club... this was back in the mid 1980's...

Best heater I ever owned was a Hoyt made in Oakland CA with a Copper Tank and lifetime warranty... no longer made... guess they were too good?

Old 10-12-2015, 04:49 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,150,066 times
Tankless Rinnai here that runs on natural gas. We've had it about five years and love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House