Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 04:12 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The neighbors can plant shrubs to hide the fence if they wish. Then they do not have to look at it.
Maybe...and maybe in 10 years it will cover most of it....all the more reason to get compensated so they cna buy and maintain plants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 11:11 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,664,238 times
Perhaps try to look at it from their perspective. They just shelled out $900 to have a fence installed that suits their needs. Someone comes along later and offers to remove it at no expense to them and replace it with a fence that costs more money. They don't get any of their money back (or only a fraction as it will not sell for what they paid for that section), and now have to help with an expense of a shared fence when maintenance is required (and it will be, I used to install vinyl fences for a living and my father still does). They also have to pressure wash it once a year to remove the mildew that will grow.

Maybe in their opinion, they are going to be losing money and adding a future expense by allowing you to install the fence on their property line. Their suggestion is that they will take $450 in compensation in exchange for the potential of losing part of the fence that is more valuable to them than to you and creating more headache for them. Remember, people think differently. That doesn't make either of you right or wrong.

I set my privacy fence back 2 ft from my property line all the way around so I can maintain it. My neighbors did the same. We don't have to argue over who is responsible for fixing the fence or maintaining it. We have clear boundaries and we maintain our own fences.

There's nothing wrong with you putting the fence up on your property whether they agree to it or not. However, I would still advise that you look at it from a neutral perspective of people having different tastes and maybe taking offense to someone coming in and "offering" to remove what they paid for so you can replace it with something that you like better.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:45 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2004 View Post
I know what I did. I went over and talked to a neighbor about putting up a fence. Actually I could care less about their fence staying up or going down. Either way I don't see their fence it was simply about going over there and being neighborly about my plans rather than just putting it up in which case you all would probably call me a jerk because I didn't go over to talk to the neighbors first. So I'm a jerk if put mine up on my side and I'm a jerk if I go over there because now I am trying to "force them into tearing their fence down". Is there no middle ground where I'm the guy that just went over and talked to his neighbor about his plans? Nobody has said anything about the fact the wife was extremely rude that she couldn't even come outside and meet their new neighbor during the first meeting? Or how about the fact that when she opened the door she didn't even say hello? And I tried to make small talk with her and get she just glares at me before we even discuss the fence? And the fact that she started the conversation off with I don't want you to touch my fence and slammed the door on me when I left? But ya I'm the jerk because I went over there politely to try and make sure they were happy with the situation which the husband was yet the wife treated me like I egged her house...
Pushy, demanding and entitled....And, this whole thread is about them not allowing you to talk them into taking their fence down....The wife just recognized your snake oil salesman tactics "small talk" Not....Own it.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:56 AM

800 posts, read 1,297,003 times
i don't understand why this was a decision, i understand you wanted to be neighborly, but once that went south you should have just made the decision to build your fence up against theirs? do you need a space between the walls? an inch or 2 shouldn't impact your quality of life...in this department

Old 10-19-2015, 09:45 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Wood is cheaper than a vinyl fence. The only one that is more expensive is wrought iron. Vinyl is maintenance free. It does not fade. It is very durable. A wood fence will require ongoing maintenance and can rot and just looks terrible after time if it is not properly maintained which is exactly why our community doesn't allow wood fences. Not quite sure where you are getting your data so might want to check that before assuming I can't afford a "real good wood fence". Go drive around and look at fences and the majority of the wood ones look like crap, now look at the vinyl fences they all look good! I haven't seen one single bad looking vinyl fence around here.
You may want to take a closer look at the fences you are stating as looking good. The ones that look good are composite fences and not PVC fences.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:33 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,664,238 times
I still maintain that a vinyl fence is not maintenance free. No such thing exists. You may not have to replace it as you would a wooden fence, but you will most certainly repair it and will have to clean it more frequently. A wood fence takes on a "patina" as it weathers that is consistent (although it will eventually warp and rot). A vinyl fence will turn green from mildew (look at vinyl siding on houses) that will be an eyesore. It will also degrade over time, losing its sheen and becoming chalky to the touch. The locking tabs can also break if the wind gets high enough causing sections to come loose. Remember it's a solid fence whereas wood fences still have gaps between them that allow some air to seep through. When the tabs break, you'll be paying someone to repair them. And to have this fence, you're going to pay more than you would for a wood or chain link fence because it's "maintenance free".

Out of all the fence options discussed, a chain link will withstand the elements much better than wood or vinyl. A composite fence would be second, but likely more expensive than vinyl.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:39 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post

Out of all the fence options discussed, a chain link will withstand the elements much better than wood or vinyl. A composite fence would be second, but likely more expensive than vinyl.
I would agree. I'd take a composite or chain link over PVC anyday.

If I were the neighbors, i'd be a little miffed too if someone wanted to remove my brand new chain link and put up a PVC fence.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:45 AM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
You people need to actually read my posts. Where did I complain about upkeep? Please show me. And I've said countless times I am getting the fence on my property! Do you people not know how to read?! I don't know why the thread is still going! There is nothing else to say. Read through the posts before you spout off opinions that make zero sense people come on.
from post #1...
Quote:
I also don't want to put the fence in our yard because the area in between will be difficult to impossible to maintain.
Sorry, but we read just fine.
You, on the other hand....

Old 10-19-2015, 11:49 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
That is a good idea to put something down like weed killer or pebbles if I have to put the fence on my side of the yard and leave theirs up.
Stop thinking about replacement of their fence. Just put your fence up and be done with it.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:51 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
I would have to disagree I think that vinyl fencing looks much nicer than chain link. It's also maintenance free and doesn't fade so from a durability perspective it is just as or more durable than chain link. I have not found anything to suggest chain link last a lot longer to vinyl. Again I am not wanting to remove their fence I am giving them the option to share the fence on that side at no cost to them or I can put it up on my side of the yard and they can keep their fence. Compensation is a payment based on losing something. They are not losing anything in this case since I would replace the fence so what am I compensating for?
Vinyl fencing is far from maintenance-free. You will have to at least pressure-wash it periodically.

If I were going into a brand new home, mine would be wood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House