Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 12:04 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2004 View Post
I would have to disagree I think that vinyl fencing looks much nicer than chain link. It's also maintenance free and doesn't fade so from a durability perspective it is just as or more durable than chain link. I have not found anything to suggest chain link last a lot longer to vinyl. Again I am not wanting to remove their fence I am giving them the option to share the fence on that side at no cost to them or I can put it up on my side of the yard and they can keep their fence. Compensation is a payment based on losing something. They are not losing anything in this case since I would replace the fence so what am I compensating for?
The point is your opinion is yours, they may have another. They are losing something- the chain llink fence they installed and possibly the misfortune of having their view blocked by plastic.

In my opinion they are not unreasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 12:10 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,428,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
The point is your opinion is yours, they may have another. They are losing something- the chain llink fence they installed and possibly the misfortune of having their view blocked by plastic.

And for $450 they will promptly get over that misfortune, right?

Personally I think they are just being greedy.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
And for $450 they will promptly get over that misfortune, right?

Personally I think they are just being greedy.
Who knows- maybe that's the pro-rata portion of the cost for that section of fence, in which case I would still say is more than reasonable.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:20 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2004 View Post
I am moving into a new house and running into an issue with the neighbors already. We are getting a white pvc privacy fence installed and the neighbors already have a chain link fence. We offered to have theirs taken down and replace with the new one on the shared side of the yard. They are against this and wanting us to pay them an additional $450 on top of removing their fence and putting the new fence in at no cost to them. I also don't want to put the fence in our yard because the area in between will be difficult to impossible to maintain. I don't feel I should have to pay them $450 when they are getting a better more expensive fence for free and don't have to pay for their fence to be removed. I've even offered to help them sell their leftover of their fence and they still want the $450 also. They have made it clear they won't be happy either way so I am guess I don't know what to do and am looking for any ideas.

Put the fence on YOUR property alone, it is legal, less dramatic and they can do nothing to stop you.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:22 PM

219 posts, read 313,352 times
Just put up your fence and forget about their chain link. You won't have to look at it and you won't have to pay them $450.

If they don't like the way their fence looks against yours, they can pull theirs down at their own expense. It's not your problem.

No matter what you do, you need to build your fence entirely on your own property (including fence post concrete etc.) so the idea of a "shared" fence doesn't work anyway.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:28 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,604,433 times
What is a white pvc privacy fence, is it solid or is it like a white picket fence? If solid I wouldn't like it either. Why not just plant a hedge against their chain link fence that grows say a few inches above the height of the fence that provides privacy so you save money by not putting in a shared fence ?

Old 10-08-2015, 12:30 PM

29 posts, read 47,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post

Correct we do have a difference of opinions on what looks good and what doesn't. Regardless if we share the fence or if I put it up in my yard it will "block their view" so based on that logic I should have to compensate them either way because I am not compensating them for losing the chain link fence but rather "blocking their view". But on the flip side I also will lose yard space because they have a fence up that won't fulfill my needs and I am forced to put my fence in farther so shouldn't I be compensated for that based on that same logic? Because I am indeed losing something also...

And another point is the whole point of the privacy fence is the fact that we both have 2 dogs and they also have 2 children so every time their dogs are out and our dogs are out there is going to barking and chaos. I know this because my mother has the exact same problem and she has a chain link fence and it is pure chaos every time both sets of dogs are out. So my point in doing all this is to maintain peace and not have issues like that arise which I told them right from the get go. To me the extra money I am paying for the fence is worth not having dogs driving both of us nuts any time we want to enjoy our back yards and is also one of the reasons we are moving the in first place.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:37 PM

29 posts, read 47,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
What is a white pvc privacy fence, is it solid or is it like a white picket fence? If solid I wouldn't like it either. Why not just plant a hedge against their chain link fence that grows say a few inches above the height of the fence that provides privacy so you save money by not putting in a shared fence ?
It is a white sold privacy fence. Planting does help some because my mother did that exact thing but it still doesn't eliminate the problem. I've already had the fence put in the purchase agreement and ordered because it was one of the main reasons we are even moving in the first place. This is one of the neighborhoods that allows this type of fence as not all do so I should be able to put it up if I am willing to pay for it. If they hate privacy fences so much why did they move into a neighborhood that allows them?

Old 10-08-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
Just put up your fence and forget about their chain link. You won't have to look at it and you won't have to pay them $450.

If they don't like the way their fence looks against yours, they can pull theirs down at their own expense. It's not your problem.

No matter what you do, you need to build your fence entirely on your own property (including fence post concrete etc.) so the idea of a "shared" fence doesn't work anyway.
Yup.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:47 PM

219 posts, read 313,352 times
You are not losing anything by placing your fence inside your property line which is almost undoubtedly legally prescribed by local ordinance anyway. Having to build inside your own property line is not a loss of use.

It just generally is not a good idea to build a fence directly on a property line. Read your local ordinance. We are probably talking about two to six inches setback from the property line, not a foot or something.

I understand the need for a visual barrier between the dogs and am a little surprised your neighbors don't agree on that. I have 300' of cedar privacy fence for the same reason, all set 2" back from the surrounding properties, three of which also have dogs.

From your neighbor's perspective, they just put up in inexpensive chain link fence for their dogs. Sounds like they have been there a while and here comes a new neighbor getting pushy about fences and whatnot. Maybe you came in too hot and just got off on the wrong foot.

I would just explain that you are going to put the fence in so your dogs don't bother theirs and that it will be on your property entirely, and that they can do whatever they want with their fence, but that you aren't going to compensate them for their chain link and sorry if you caused any friction. Maybe offer them a beer. Squabbling with new neighbors over a cheap fence is probably not a good way to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House