Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 07:17 AM

79 posts, read 91,631 times

Advertisements

We're in the process of buying a home in the Denver, CO area (Thornton) and recently had a home inspection. The home inspector found that the crawl space had been encapsulated due to a moisture issue, which is good that part has been addressed, but my question pertains to the ground under the plastic encapsulation. The inspector is concerned because it seems to be overly wet and your feet sink into the ground a bit.

When trying to find information on the internet regarding crawl space moisture, I found a lot of info on encapsulation, but nothing to address the soil itself. What kind of issues can be caused (to the foundation maybe?) if the ground remains wet? The seller agreed to have it evaluated to see if the water source can be found and corrected, but we're moving from Illinois so I don't know these companies to know if I will get the full story. Assuming it is not remediated effectively and the soil underneath continues to hold moisture, what are the concerns? Again, I've read through all of these stories of people who did things to address keeping the crawl space dry, but not necessarily anything to address drying out the soil underneath.

Additionally, as information, there is a sump pump and a blower system in the crawl space. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 10:42 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,891,980 times
That is a BIG issue of concern and should be corrected before buying the home!

1. Is there a high water-table that the house was built on?
2. Is the lot level or have good runoff away from the home?
3. I don’t think french-drains around the house would even help?
4. I wouldn’t buy the home until the problem was corrected!

Old 10-11-2015, 11:28 AM

No, there is not a high water table. There is a sprinkler system and they have items planted too close to the foundation. The house behind is slightly elevated which is probably contributing to some water runoff. Just not sure of the exact root of the issue just yet. There are French drains already in place, but I do not know yet if they are functioning correctly.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:46 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times
Sounds like the home was built on land that was either clear cut and not given enough years for the water concentration to drop or it's formerly swamp land. Is a crawl space drainage system in place?

If you can walk away from this house, do it and don't look back.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:50 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,151,301 times
If there is already a sump pump and French drains, that would scare me immensely!

Old 10-12-2015, 07:39 AM

This was the seller's explanation:

The dirt was soggy because it rained for four solid days prior to the inspection and we have a floating sub floor because of the drainage under the house from the hill behind us.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:55 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug_77 View Post
This was the seller's explanation:

The dirt was soggy because it rained for four solid days prior to the inspection and we have a floating sub floor because of the drainage under the house from the hill behind us.
Then it comes back to questioning why was the foundation never sealed.

https://youtu.be/daKQsoIuJvE
https://youtu.be/BRidCS4CLec

Old 10-12-2015, 08:48 PM

They're bringing in an engineer to evaluate this week.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:44 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times
As someone that was a broker from 1972 till I finally retired on the Front Range, I can say that with all the drain systems in that home, and you still get massive amounts of water, I would look for another house. There is a water source that causes this problem, and water like this home has is not normal along the Colorado Front Range.

It has been a big money drain trying to solve the problem, but as it still exists o that level, just anticipate it will never be completely solved, and is always going to be a money drain trying to solve it.

There has to be another home, without water problems you would be happy with. If all they have done there is still problems, run don't walk away from this home.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:33 PM

Thanks for the advice. The seller wanted us to commit to buying it if the engineer said there wasn't an issue. Uh.... no. Looks like we're on the hunt for a different home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House