Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2015, 06:23 PM

312 posts, read 825,206 times

Advertisements

Hi. Originally we were going to have a pocket door to enter bathroom, but upon finding out it was a shear wall we had to switch to a regular door. Which would swing in towards the bathtub. The architect forgot to change the location of the light switch, so now it was installed behind the opening door, which is a terrible design.

Right now, the job is not finished, but the switch box rough in is installed and the drywall. We noticed this issue today and GC says it will cost me $1000 to move light box to the other side of the door.

Should I pay for this alone? Even though Architect messed up and GC missed noticing it? I missed it too as the owner.

You might say, swing the door the other way, towards the toilet. Yes that can be done, but it's not what I wanted, it will be an awkward flow. Every time walking into the bathroom to use the toilet, you need to squeeze between the vanity and the door and go behind the door to use the toilet.

The only other option would be to swing the door out, which in general is not done to avoid hitting people or blocking flow, but in this case it's opens towards the closet hallway

I would love to hear your thoughts on this. And should I have to pay for moving the light switch alone?

Thank you very much
Attached Thumbnails
Should I pay for it alone? Light switch on wrong side-screen-shot-2015-10-13-4.13.25   Should I pay for it alone? Light switch on wrong side-screen-shot-2015-10-13-4.13.36  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 06:28 PM

4,593 posts, read 3,239,805 times
Don't know about who should pay, but from a look at the plan, I think you have the perfect situation to have the door swing outward. There is that little niche/hallway there which would not disturb any flow at all. In this situation no one, now or in any resale situation, could say you were interrupting flow.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:33 PM

15,103 posts, read 27,546,247 times
I would insist on the light switch being on the correct side! Presumably, you stumble in, in the middle of the night to "go" - and also have to fumble behind the door? Inexcusable IMO.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:45 PM

312 posts, read 825,206 times
Quote:
Don't know about who should pay, but from a look at the plan, I think you have the perfect situation to have the door swing outward. There is that little niche/hallway there which would not disturb any flow at all. In this situation no one, now or in any resale situation, could say you were interrupting flow.
I should mention that a change on the flooring would be needed for this as in the bathroom it's setup for tile and in the closet area for hardwood, different heights. Not a big change but they would need to change it right below the door.

Also the door was supposed to be 30" and I actually had reduced it to 28" since it was going to open inward. Now I have a small door for no reason in that case.

Quote:
I would insist on the light switch being on the correct side! Presumably, you stumble in, in the middle of the night to "go" - and also have to fumble behind the door? Inexcusable IMO.
Exactly, but who pays for it? It was the architect fault, but GC and I both missed it. Should GC carry some responsibility as well? But it's clearly a design defect cause by the architect. Do I suggest we split it 3 ways?

And $1000? I know it will require some electrical and carpentry work, but can't they cut over the door, swing the wire around it to the other side and close it? I have asked GC to send me a break down of this cost.

Thanks

Old 10-13-2015, 07:32 PM

15,103 posts, read 27,546,247 times
Good question on who should pay - a GC, IMO, should KNOW what side the light switch should be on (as should the architect).

Old 10-13-2015, 07:48 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,766,387 times
The so called "architect" should pay up. In regards to the 1000 bucks, that's ridiculous. Talk to the construction manager. not the super. My electrician charges me 75 bucks to move a switch and my drywaller won't charge me at all.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:17 PM

13,043 posts, read 20,703,285 times
The person who countersigned your change order is the one responsible for the cost.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:56 PM

17,403 posts, read 65,535,896 times
Gotta love a GC that tries to make money- probably would pocket it himself.

Try this on for size-

NEC has a somewhat stringent code description about lights (lumenaries), recepticles, and switches when it comes to bathes. In this particular case its not about it being behind a door as you enter (although that is the "problem" right now), the problem is the switch is in the "tub zone" (more specifically 36" horizontally from the lip of the tub and/or 8' vertically). By the plan I'd say your switch falls into that 36" horizontally.

So, with that in mind how did the rough inspection pass (since the house is now in drywall)?
As to who pays- my first instinct; its all on the guy who's there everyday checking on subcontractor's work and has the plans in his hands. Obviously, if this wasn't redlined its easy to see how it would be overlooked. But if the sheer wall determination was made prior to the start of framing then I see fault with the architect.

I would lay no blame on you as a buyer/HO because this is not your everyday business- its not "your job" to find mistakes.

Keep your wallet in your pocket- tell the GC he can pay the "thousand dollar extortion fee" himself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House