Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 04:30 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,710,734 times

Advertisements

My doorbell broke, and it was impossible to figure out where the wiring went, so I was advised to get an inexpensive kit that just screws in, and in some way I don't understand, rings wirelessly.

Now I just had a worrisome experience where twice, a few days apart, my doorbell was rung late at night, once around 11pm and then twice at 1am. The second time I freaked out, imagining someone was about to break in.

A friend told me, though, that wireless doorbells can be set off by something else - as if they were hacked. Does anyone know if this is true? Or if there is any way around this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 04:46 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Most have the ability to select a channel/frequency so you might want to try another setting.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:51 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
I HAD one here, the initial setup had it buzzing at my neighbors, had to change the frequency. It eventually quit working unless you pushed it JUST SO... then quit altogether. I just took it off, folks can knock on the door

Old 10-18-2015, 05:47 PM

230 posts, read 430,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I HAD one here, the initial setup had it buzzing at my neighbors, had to change the frequency. It eventually quit working unless you pushed it JUST SO... then quit altogether. I just took it off, folks can knock on the door
Unfortunately, the wireless doorbells I have had have junk pushbuttons that eat batteries and fail if exposed to the weather. I don't know of a good solution if the wired doorbell can't be repaired or replaced.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:57 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,052,517 times
We've had one for a long time (10 yrs?). It is a supplemental doorbell that I put out at a locked front gate. Never had a problem with it going off erroneously and it seems to reliably go off when rung. I agree with trying a different frequency. If that doesn't work return it for another. It might be faulty. However we live in a low density development so have no close neighbors so less likely to get interference from someone else's wireless devices.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:45 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
We have use one for over 12 years, and has never had a problem, ringing when bell not pushed, or not ringing when pushed. Nice set of chimes when bell pushed.

We bought it first, because the wired bell was only one short and low chime, too easy to not hear. This one is used in the second house, having been used here for 9 years. Only way to go in our opinion. Only changed batteries one time on both units.

Old 10-19-2015, 03:18 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,216,301 times
Yes. I had one in my garage on the door to the house. It wasn't very expensive, about $30 or less. We wanted it there because sometimes we forget and lock the door to the garage then the kids couldn't get in if we went to sleep and didn't hear them knocking. So, put one the cordless doorbells up inside the garage by the door to the house to get in. Had only a couple months. Many times that doorbell went off, day and night. Don't know what did it, but it scared us one too many times and I took it off and threw it away. Maybe a more expensive one would have worked better but I'm not going to try now.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:43 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,074,940 times
I have one as our 'doorbell' was an intercom system that no longer works. Ours is a battery operated push button and a plug in chimer. So far it's worked fine.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:10 AM

459 posts, read 619,853 times
They are crap, replace the wired doorbell, button and transformer. The wire did not break.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:35 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,052,517 times
I just checked the brand name on ours. It is DESA Specialty Products. I don't think I've ever had to replace the battery. Although every now and then at the beginning I would check it to see if it still rang because I worried about the battery being out in the heat, snow, rain etc. Just did now because I unplugged the indoor unit to check the brand name and it rang no problem. It has been so trouble free that I stopped checking it years ago.

Here is a thread on how to change the codes.
Doorbell Help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House