Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 03:44 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by COD1628 View Post
This is why I prefer to live in the sticks, where you don't have to deal with neighbors.
Been there, done that!

15 acres, state land to the east and north, and still problems!

Noisy dirt bikes illegally running across my property, noisy snowmobiles racing around on state land in winter, canoeists stopping at an island on the river, in summer, with their loud boom boxes, and deer hunters target shooting all through the summer! Bang! Bang! Bang! And come deer season? Time to get away for a vacation!

Why am I telling you this, sound travels much faster in the countryside!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 04:30 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,822 times
I do not think that bad neighbors are inevitable. I am in a cul de sac and it is very quiet. Two neighbors have dogs.....that rarely bark. One neighbor has some large trucks in his driveway that he occasionally works on. There are children around, who strangely enough I never hear and all in all it is very peaceful. I feel fortunate. I have waved a hello or goodbye on occasion but have not formerly met anyone yet. I am only three months into my house so there is time yet.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:24 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
But don't mind me, I'm just the crappy neighbor, what with my 150K a year salary, college educated clean and quiet lifestyle.
Buy an RV and live in it.

Then, by definition, neighbors can never be more than a temporary problem.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:04 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,927,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Your original post is a study in why I strongly prefer to live in the country - fewer neighbors and consistently better quality of the people.
Concur with this. When I lived in town in Las Vegas, it would seem that I would continually run into the annoying person who loves to play loud music (that is probably my #1 irritation partially because I can't understand the inclination to do this; and things that don't make sense *really!!!!!!!* annoy me). Once I moved out in the country that really lessoned. I noticed here now that it's the trailer park residents that seem to consistently do this. My current residence, thank God, doesn't have a trailer park by it (yet).

I have some running ideas on why people in trailer parks seem to like to play loud music (I would have no problem at all living in one, but that is probably mainly what keeps me away from it). One of them is that the clientele don't have the consideration that more commonly (but not at all exclusively) comes with people who live in regular houses. Another is (since usually people of lower income live in these places) are some are in this income bracket maybe partly because they're mentally unstable and need the music to drown out the voices? I don't mean to sound crass I just would really like to know, partially because I'm cheap and wouldn't mind living in a trailer park to save money just these kinds of things keep me away. I know renters are normally considered trashy so being a renter myself these kinds of stereotypes irritate me, so I know that not everyone in a trailer park is like this. Just seems like there's always at least one or a few who are like that (also, my fiancé lives in a trailer park so I'm not at all biased against people who live in them. Actually all the times I've visited I haven't yet heard loud music--but he says it happens. We actually may end up living there for a little while if I move to that state).

Old 10-21-2015, 08:51 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,306 times
My family will be moving next year and my Mother, who gets to make the main decision about where, as it will be her final home, wants a small place in town or even a condo. I'm subtly begging her to choose a home with a larger yard outside of town instead. At least 3 acres. Why? The neighbors. We are super lucky here - very nice or at least quiet people with no problems on this street. The last thing my Mother needs while she grows old is rock music blasting, people revving their engines, shouting and partying all night etc.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:11 AM

15,798 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Demographics plays a huge role in quality of your neighbors.

The demographics of people living in a working class community near the city, are going to be different than those living in a white-collar suburb with $600K+ Mansions, who will be even more different than people living out in the boonies. People just have different standards and ways of living that would be offensive to others.

If you don't really like it, alternative is to move. If oyu can't afford it, just gotta deal with it.

And no. Bad neighbors are not a way of life. I've been to friends homes where the neighbors are just incredible.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:18 AM

8,065 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Do what I did. I moved in the middle of 10 acres on the edge of forest service land. There's a locked gate to my driveway. I don't have neighbors.
Similar situation here. 15 acres surrounded by hay and wood lots. Nearest house is a half mile away. I would NEVER EVER consider moving into a "subdivision" or next to another house.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:08 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
It does seem that way. I am in my 5th house and I have a story for every neighborhood I lived in. This current neighborhood is the best experience thus far but I am finding as I get older I am simply liking people less and less. We have an HOA that doesn't have any bite when it comes to those breaking the rules and we have pretty relaxed rules here too. Common sense stuff like, don't park on the lawn, cut your grass and so on. There is one house in our sub that has half of the siding missing from the house. Looks horrible.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:39 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,247 times
Sadly yes...

Old 10-21-2015, 11:09 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,959 times
If neighborhoods/neighbors are getting worse, doesn't that really mean society as a whole is getting worse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House