Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 11:10 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,786 times

Advertisements

apartment neighbors suck. wouldn't know about houses

everywhere ive lived there has been at least one lousy neighbor. I moved to my most recent apartment because my neighbor at my previous apartment was a welfare dirtbag that broke into my apartment while I was on vacation. we knew it was them. they are the only ones that had access to the interior kitchen door leading from the common hallway, and the lock was clearly picked.

it makes sense, more than 50% of people are lousy and the probability tilts in that direction of inevitably having crappy neighbors. my last apartment was in a crappy neighborhood and pretty much all of the neighbors were inconsiderate, rude effin loser hoodrats that deserved to be shot in the face. my entire building consisted of drug addicts, prostitutes, and section 8 welfare leeches that were most likely jealous of me. that prostitute was also a heroin addict that couchsurfed with various people in the neighborhood. the neighboring apartment buildings weren't much better. I was the only one in the building that had a fairly good paying job, keeping to myself. although I hated my first floor neighbor. idiot neighbors would only talk to us if they wanted something. few dollars, cigarettes, weed, etc. when we finally told them no because they never paid us back, they decided to break in and get theirs. $200 was stolen from my place, the one time of the month I have cash on hand to make a deposit for the rent. every weekend for 6 weeks after that, I would get into some sort of confrontation with them. the guy that did it usually hid in the apartment when he know I was coming or going. I got drunk one weekend and challenged him to a fight, yelling belligerently outside of the apartment. he was too scared to come out. I was pissed. if you've been robbed you would probably be doing the same thing if the police didn't do anything. when I moved to that apartment, it wasn't the greatest neighborhood, but it just flat out turned into a hellhole. previous downstairs neighbors for that place were all drug addicts, so it was a flophouse even then too.

my current apartment is much better. in a better neighborhood but I still have inconsiderate, hypocritical douchecanoe upstairs neighbors that make a bunch of noise upstairs 7 days a week, yet complain when I play a little music on weekends. it is a better place to live in general though. the other neighbors are fine, friendly enough, but they keep to themselves, as do I. nowadays, I prefer to have as little contact with neighbors as possible. I will do the whole wave and hello thing, but that's it. my goal is always to have neutral territory to come home to. life is filled with enough drama as is. home is where I go to recharge, relax, and not be bothered by stupid neighbors. just wish more people would understand that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 11:37 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Not really.

Sorry that you keep getting stuck with them though!
Well the OP needs to look at what they're doing wrong.

Before you buy or even rent you visit the area at different times of the day and night. Weekdays and weekends and see what is going on. Pay attention to what you see, is it quiet. Check out the local supermarket, the stores.

Clearly they don't do that.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:55 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
My neighbors right now are pretty good. The bad ones are currently in Prison.

Old 10-21-2015, 12:29 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,376 times
And if there is a Walmart and/or a smoke shop within the vicinity, RUN!

Last edited by MAXIALE02; 10-21-2015 at 12:39 PM..

Old 10-21-2015, 12:40 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Can't say I've ever experienced your problems. Then again, I don't live in a city. When I had a HOA, they did enforce the rules.

Have you thought about buying your own island or living on 100+ acres so you won't be near anyone?

Old 10-21-2015, 01:15 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,640 times
My neighbours are a rowdy lot, they shout at me across the yard, shyt all over the place and steal all the apples from my tree. I can mostly forgive them though ..... because they are cows.

Thankfully I don't have close human neighbours, we have an easement on our property for one that is a ways behind and the worse that happens there is that the son has a mudding truck that he takes out now and again apart from that we hardly know they are there.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:20 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
Sadly it's only going to get worse as Obama and his constituency continue to move in lower and lower classes of people into nicer and nicer neighborhoods. Gone are the days of housing projects where at least that kind of nonsense was concentrated. Now they get to live in townhouses and single family homes and YOU are expected to grin and bear it.

You know, for diversity and all that jazz, lol. Because how dare you help educate your kids at home, teach them proper manners, how to speak articulately, and why it's a good idea to not be a criminal or a druggie.

How dare you maddam! How dare you enjoy the things you work hard for or the lifestyle you've worked to acheive. How dare ye!

Oh and not only will it be free (or at least heavily subsidized) for them... but YOU get to pay for it. And yes, you'll have to suffer the wrath of the "gibs-me-dat" crowd, and yes they will continue to demand more and further demand that you pay for more.
Oh, so now bad neighbors are Obama's fault!

Old 10-21-2015, 03:20 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
The only fact of life is that you can't choose your neighbors.

For instance, I prefer neighbors that don't have sticks up their butts about music, where my company parks their cars, etc., and mind their own business as long as I'm not violating any municipal codes, keep my property reasonably maintained, and mind my own business.

Have you considered buying about 20 acres and planting your house smack in the middle of it?

Old 10-21-2015, 03:30 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I agree with others who have said that, basically, OP's picker is broken. We have only lived in one place where we wound up not speaking to the neighbors on either side, but they came after us, and we were separated by 7 acres, so it was no big deal. I think it is ironic, that besides living there, we always lived in close, suburban neighborhoods with people we get along great with.
There are things to look for, and there are questions to ask. An agent should be able to tell you how many renters are in a neighborhood. All you have to do is look at the yards, and the garages and driveways to get a pretty good bead on what is going on.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:54 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
Foreclosure has nothing to do with it in this case...It is an older couples home that they rent out. They have a couple other rentals in the area, as do I. They just elect to rent to section 8 renters. I know when I rented my house there, the section 8 people contacted me and asked if I wanted to join, and I told them after seeing the people across the street, no thanks...

But yeah, I've read the same thing, that they are trying to spread out the housing, in part so that, they can have a place they can feel proud of, as one HUD official has said.

There could be more section 8 renters, as about half the houses on the block are rentals. Actually maybe 40%? The zip code is about 60%, I did look that up before I bought there, I even hung out in the neighborhood for the months waiting for it to close. Days, nights, weekends, you name it. Then after living there for two weeks I started to realize who the bad neighbor was. After a call to code enforcement, I found out they've been called by several other people as well.

There is actually a bad neighbor at the end of the block as well, there are all kinds of people who don't speak English living in vans around the house on the street, etc. Sometimes their mariachi music can be heard 6 houses down. But it's rare. Their yard is littered with crap. They were in foreclosure for a while, but according to Zillow, they are not now. I feel bad for the older guy with the clean and neat yard/house who lives across the street.

But don't mind me, I'm just the crappy neighbor, what with my 150K a year salary, college educated clean and quiet lifestyle. I guess I should pump out kids who crap all over every ones yard, play loud music at all hours of the day, and smoke crack on my front lawn in the middle of the day.
In that case you should see about forming an HOA. Local governments are, in the main, very receptive to HOA's and like to see them formed. An HOA is a legal, incorporated, community entity where members of that community agree to a set of rules. Not following rules brings monetary penalties and those penalties show up on the homeowner's next property tax bill. Not paying the tax leads to _____, so people do their best to follow the rules.

One of the rules your HOA could impose is not allowing homes to be rented out to section 8'ers. You could deem them not to be rented out at all, or if you wanted only allow members of the military, police & firefighters to live there as renters. There are downsides (like you have to move and you yourself can't rent your house out) but in the main HOA's are a good thing if they're not overly restrictive and nit-picky.

Or you could simply impose rules as to noise, trash, etc. When the tenant doesn't follow the rules...slap the landlord with a violation (as a community of course; out of love) and charge it to his county tax bill.

And actually my friend, with your income and education you could perhaps move to better digs. And why not pop out a half dozen kids of your own. We civilized folks NEED to have more and more children. We're being out-bred by the dregs, and this development over the past 40-50 years is now being borne out in reality. We get to see it every day, just as you and I and others here are describing. Society really is crumbling around us.

Rome didn't fall in a day. It took several generations for society to decay to a point where it finally crumbled, first from within, then from without.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House