Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 01:06 AM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I know I said white. But if I was rich...all my appliances would be from Big Chill. Any and every color you can imagine.

Big Chill | Professional and Retro Ranges, Refrigerators, and Kitchen Appliances
Gorgeous!!!! I want Pink Lemonade!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 09:31 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
My parents had "coppertone" appliances -- it was a brown with gradient darker shading towards the edges. It came to being in the 60's, and stayed a standard to the 80's. No one ever seems to mention it -- and frankly when I see it in advertising it seems a little timeless. My mom's stove lasted FOREVER... till like 1995.

If you want to spend some real money there are appliances that can be ordered in any color you want.

Stainless cool because it's what's used in industrial kitchens. It's used there because of the high heats and stands up to the daily massive cleaning restaurants must do daily. Pretty sure the health department doesn't care about fingerprints, but we do. I clean elevator panels and it's a pain -- the oils from our hands leave prints that stainless polish doesn't seem to eradicate. So it's a two step cleaning process -- first clean the prints off with Windex, second apply polish and well -- polish.

A lot of places use a products called Sheila Shine, which leaves a residue so that when you touch it is eww, but then the product "self levels", to remove the print. But it also leaves residue on clothing, if you brush against the elevator panel.

Back to the point -- buy what you want -- in your case -- although I can't stand stainless, I'd go with stainless to break up all the white.

You're going to live there, you're going to cook and use those appliances, and when you go to move, you will either give the buyers a credit towards buying their own new appliances or replacing them for them.... people don't want used appliances anymore.
I think I remember seeing some of those coppertone brown appliances too, and a harvest sort of yellow.

Me? I'm not currently in the market for any new appliances since as our house is only six years old and we picked white appliances to go in the kitchen since we thought they would go best in there and we liked them.

But you can be assured that when the time comes for replacements, we'll do as we always have, and pick what we like, and not worry about trends or fads that might be in vogue then. It won't be stainless appliances ever, personally I don't like them.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:48 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
If you are planning to sell the house in the forseeable future, I would go with Stainless. If you believe this is your forever home, go with your personal preferance.
I disagree. For one thing, appliances are not counted towards the value of the home in the comps as they are separate nonpermanent fixtures. Secondly, many sellers take the appliances with them, although you have the option of selling them to the buyers as an addendum on the contract to the sale of the home itself. OTOH, some buyers are impressed with the look of stainless stesl appliances when viewing a home. But you should choose the appliances YOU want, not what you think a potential buyer might like in the future. I think stainless steel appliances are overpriced and overrated. They show water spots all the time, they are much more expensive than white, the require more maintanence, and the only part of the appliance that is stainless steel is the front, not the entire outside. White appliances are timeless, and stainless is more of a fad, I believe. Good luck with your choice.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:58 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,588,583 times
I find it strange when folks complain about keeping appliances clean, it's a kitchen you prepare meals there, your suppose to keep it clean, like wipe it down after ever use so you don't get build up and keep germ away ! ... From the sounds of it seem like some folks never clean at all..YUCK! Just saying~

Old 11-02-2015, 11:01 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
If you want to get ahead of the curve, buy all avocado appliances. The fad is overdue to resurface.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:05 AM

1,946 posts, read 7,370,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
If you want to get ahead of the curve, buy all avocado appliances. The fad is overdue to resurface.
. It's bound to rebound but of course as we are want to rename everything, they won't be called avocado, but steeley gris or something .

Old 11-02-2015, 12:38 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
I find it strange when folks complain about keeping appliances clean, it's a kitchen you prepare meals there, your suppose to keep it clean, like wipe it down after ever use so you don't get build up and keep germ away ! ... From the sounds of it seem like some folks never clean at all..YUCK! Just saying~

Yeah, it takes no longer to keep stainless clean than it does black or white, and you should do it whenever you use the appliance. I use these:

http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce0...1302670.v1.jpg

And 30 seconds later it's clean and attractive. I clean the stove/oven when I use it, and clean the fridge and microwave once or twice a week as it's so fast and easy to do.

Stainless has been around for a long time, so it's not much of a "fad." And it doesn't necessarily cost more than white or black in many cases when there is an option of finishes on a particular appliance (my microwave cost $10 less in stainless than it did in white or black...)

I personally like the way stainless picks up the colors of the room around it, while providing a bit of contrast so the kitchen doesn't end up looking too bland and monotone.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:00 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
I would want white. You can tell at a glance if the room is clean. And it's so, you know, bright.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:31 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
Actually I keep a very clean house, which is a feat given that I also work a lot of hours each day and raise two children.

Just because I don't want to spend any more effort than I need to doesn't mean that I "never clean at all". I happen to find caring for non-stainless appliances to be easier than SS appliances. I have many experiences with SS, enough to form valid opinions, and that doesn't reflect on my cleaning abilities.

I have a SS sink in my laundry room that shows every hard water droplet there is. A painter washed his brush in the sink (to my chagrin) and it left a permanent reddish tint. I shouldn't have to wipe it down with anything other than soap and water, which is what I use to keep my white (and previously black) appliances clean.

I do say, to each his/her own.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:25 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,588,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Actually I keep a very clean house, which is a feat given that I also work a lot of hours each day and raise two children.

Just because I don't want to spend any more effort than I need to doesn't mean that I "never clean at all". I happen to find caring for non-stainless appliances to be easier than SS appliances. I have many experiences with SS, enough to form valid opinions, and that doesn't reflect on my cleaning abilities.

I have a SS sink in my laundry room that shows every hard water droplet there is. A painter washed his brush in the sink (to my chagrin) and it left a permanent reddish tint. I shouldn't have to wipe it down with anything other than soap and water, which is what I use to keep my white (and previously black) appliances clean.

I do say, to each his/her own.

I've owned ever color under the rainbow , they all require daily wipe downs after each use in my book, so color not a deal breaker for me... Really folks if you wipe down your appliance like your cook tops after each use it only takes about 10 sec, unlike letting it go for days, weeks even months or years as some do, yeah it's gonna take more of your time to clean it.... But to each their own...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House