Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 01:54 PM

698 posts, read 2,841,816 times

Advertisements

So I began to put new line of caulk around the shower floor where it wears away and bugs find entry. All set to go. Bought one of those larger tubes to be used with a caulking gun. Because I'm really into home repairs and DIY and all that.

I cut the tip off, insert the tube into the gun, tighten it down well, aim at the baseboards, squeeze gently and nothing. Hmmm, is this thing cold from being in the garage? I put it under some running hot water. That softens it up. I try again, not easy to do because I need the knee pad to be down on the floor.

Nothing again. I squeeze harder. Harder yet. Then I feel something soft and warm in my hand. That's interesting. There is silicone oozing out of the bottom of the tube! Darned product! Why can't they make anything that works right anymore???

Repeat this with same results. And the silicone does not wash off my hands! Oh crud. I cut the tube some more at the tip. Squeeze and have again witnessed oozing silicone that is now stuck to my hand, the bottom of the tube, the inside of the gun and the screwdriver I was using to remove the old caulk.

Well, I'm no idiot. I give up and go paw through the tool box for a regular old tube of caulk that doesn't need a gun. (Apparently just because you can shoot a Smith & Wesson doesn't mean you can shoot a caulk gun.)

Go to big box store for more of the regular kind, because the last tube ran out before I was done. I walk past the paint department and think I will ask about how those larger tubes of caulk can be made so shoddily. What kind of a champion wrestler does one have to be to use that stuff anyway?

"Did you pierce the tip?" the guy asked.

"Pierce the tip?" I answered, starting to think I am about to be embarrassed but, in the name of getting this right, I am willing.

He shows me the long pin that is attached to the caulk gun but flush to the metal and, honestly, quite invisible. He tells me the pin has to be inserted into the tip of the caulk to release the silicone.

Ohhhhhhh! Then I feel my hand going up to slap my own head like those smiley face icons to the right of this message window.

Yes, I was embarrassed and yet relieved at the same time. I am not too proud to get a light bulb moment when I'm lucky enough to get one and avoid further frustration.

Maybe this little tale of woe will help another unsuspecting person from experiencing their own caulking gun mishap.

Would welcome hearing if you have also survived a DIY faux pas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 03:09 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,389,618 times
I'm a little embarrassed to tell mine. I bought one of those round attachments for pressure washers that clean your sidewalk, drive etc. Well it worked like a charm!! So I thought, ya know, those brick patios in the back could use a shot of this. Unfortunately, when I applied the pressure what it did was squirt dirt from between the bricks and make one h*!! of a mess.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:39 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,000 times
Funny stuff...I'm sure every DIY'er has a long list.

One of my best is when I called a dishwasher repair guy because mine died. Just wouldn't work at all, even though it was only about a year old. The first thing he does is check the wall switch mounted on the backsplash above the unit. Bingo...it fired right up! Oops, I forgot all about there being a switch. Oh well, at least he was nice enough to charge me only $20 for coming out.

It's a big problem with people like us who don't do these things for a living...we miss the little tricks and knowledge that would make it a lot easier. So it means multiple trips to the hardware store because you bought the wrong part, redoing something because you forgot a key step, or just generally doing things the hard way. Oh well, I suppose that's what makes it fun.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:35 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
LOL

Some lessons you learn the hard way.

I got my husband a Father's Day card last year that said, "measure twice, cut once, cuss three times, head back to the hardware store."

Old 11-06-2015, 09:34 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin View Post
"Did you pierce the tip?" the guy asked.
I'm sorry, but I'm certainly not an avid DIYer and even I know that if you pull the trigger and nothing comes out, you probably have to insert something into the nozzle to puncture the tube. I find the majority of my DIY screw ups is just not applying common sense and thinking things through. These are not "secrets of the trade".

Old 11-06-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
I'm sorry, but I'm certainly not an avid DIYer and even I know that if you pull the trigger and nothing comes out, you probably have to insert something into the nozzle to puncture the tube. I find the majority of my DIY screw ups is just not applying common sense and thinking things through. These are not "secrets of the trade".
As you say, you know. I did not know. There was no reason it shouldn't dispense its contents after having its tip cut off.

Luckily, I am only half as dense as certain husbands who will -- ahem -- remain nameless.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Funny stuff...I'm sure every DIY'er has a long list.

One of my best is when I called a dishwasher repair guy because mine died. Just wouldn't work at all, even though it was only about a year old. The first thing he does is check the wall switch mounted on the backsplash above the unit. Bingo...it fired right up! Oops, I forgot all about there being a switch. Oh well, at least he was nice enough to charge me only $20 for coming out.

It's a big problem with people like us who don't do these things for a living...we miss the little tricks and knowledge that would make it a lot easier. So it means multiple trips to the hardware store because you bought the wrong part, redoing something because you forgot a key step, or just generally doing things the hard way. Oh well, I suppose that's what makes it fun.
Thank you for this! Everyone has done things like this and it's always reassuring to realize that you aren't the only one! One time we were not as fortunate when we called a window repairman because our bathroom window wouldn't close during a rare cold front in SoFL. We tried everything.

The guy arrives, does something with no tools or parts, BANG, in less than a blink of the eye, it's fixed. He said, "I'm sorry but I still have to charge you $75."

Ack!

Old 11-06-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
I'm a little embarrassed to tell mine. I bought one of those round attachments for pressure washers that clean your sidewalk, drive etc. Well it worked like a charm!! So I thought, ya know, those brick patios in the back could use a shot of this. Unfortunately, when I applied the pressure what it did was squirt dirt from between the bricks and make one h*!! of a mess.
Trust me you're not the first to do that one! After some surprise outcomes I am learning to slow down and pay more attention to forethought and preparation.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:48 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
There are amazing answers to help the DIYers on the Google YouTube with short videos that tell you and show you just what is needed to fix most small problems around the house. There are lots of helpful hints that can keep a person out of trouble before starting a project. One thing I’ve noticed is that if you don’t find the answers you’re looking for in the search, simply reword the question used for the search, and maybe find other words to express your repair project. I’ve also found that the local ACE hardware store employees know some tricks to make a project easy.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:02 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,483,285 times
I've done my fair share of dingy things. One time I was replacing about 40 cabinet pulls. All of them came off and went on easily except one. I worked and worked with it, finally gave up, and decided to just cut it off with a hack saw. The sawing was easy and everything was going swimmingly...until I stuck my hand down there to catch the metal piece when it fell off. I knew it would be warm, but I didn't know it would be molten hot. I had a blister about the size of a nickel in the palm of my hand for about a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House