Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 10:46 PM

37,587 posts, read 45,944,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Smell will be an issue every time you raise the lid regardless of the dog poop in a bag. I've found it a good habit NOT to breathe deep when opening my can.

Haven't ever had anyone complain. OTOH, lots of people have smiled when I pick the crap out of their yard and place it in a nearby receptacle.

I see lots of dog walkers. Haven't seen any of them carry poop bags for long distances. Surely they aren't all putting them in their fanny packs, etc.
NO, it's not. ALL of my trash is bagged and tied to minimize leakage/smell. I would find it extremely offensive for someone to assume that my trash cans were for their use, especially for such a smelly item as dog feces.

If you can't carry your dog's "leavings", then you need to shorten your walks. Seriously. The world is NOT your disposal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 11:39 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,873,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
NO, it's not. ALL of my trash is bagged and tied to minimize leakage/smell. I would find it extremely offensive for someone to assume that my trash cans were for their use, especially for such a smelly item as dog feces.

If you can't carry your dog's "leavings", then you need to shorten your walks. Seriously. The world is NOT your disposal.
Congratulations on having the first trash can in history that doesn't smell.

You are correct. The world is not my disposal.

The trash can is.

Old 11-07-2015, 04:33 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I foresee that in the future municipalities will start charging for dumping trash by the pound. Why else would modern garbage truck be able to read number and bar codes on the trash cans they dump with mechanical arms.
Becaue they don't collect your trash if you're behind on your bill. Rather than the driver verifying addresses, he simply looks to see if that can's number is on the "do not dump" list.

Last edited by Slowpoke_TX; 11-07-2015 at 05:48 AM.. Reason: syntax

Old 11-07-2015, 05:58 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penga25 View Post
how do you all feel about other people putting their dog poop in your trash.
I don't have a problem with people disposing of waste in container that was created to hold waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penga25 View Post
i think its rude to put that in someones empty bin knowing it will sit there for a few days just stinking.
I doubt they put that much thought into it. They're probably just concerned with picking up after their dog and disposing of it, rather than allowing it to stay on the ground.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:24 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,082,704 times
I've read through these responses and come to realize that for me it is not just a problem when someone puts a bag of dog poop in my trash container, but anything at all (for example a styrofoam cup). It is sort of like an invasion of my private space. Just because I need to put my 'private space' out by the curb on trash day, it does not make it any less private space. Dog owners who walk their dogs need to know that they will be responsible for cleaning up after the dog, and for taking that waste home to be disposed of in their own 'private space'. Otherwise, don't walk your dog away from your own property. Don't own property? Then either buy some and keep the dog at home, or take your dog waste back to your own container. Don't feel that just because it 'would not bother you' you are entitled to bother someone else.

Just adding that now I own property for my dogs and don't need to walk them, but at one time was a suburbanite so I know the deal.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:13 AM

37,587 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:

The trash can is.
YOUR trash can. Not mine.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:24 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times
I would never put trash in an empty trash can; I would simply tie it do my dog's leash and continue on my walk.

I used to occasionally put it in someone's full trash can when I knew garbage was going to be picked up the following day; but I discovered the handy tieing the bag to the leash and jus t don't do it anymore.

I find find, though, a piece of toilet paper in my yard with brown streaks on it - who the hell would put that in their trash? It must have blown out and into my yard .. . . GROSS. Pretty sure we flush that stuff.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:41 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I would never put trash in an empty trash can; I would simply tie it do my dog's leash and continue on my walk.
I've seen dog walkers tie a plastic grocery bag to their belt and keep the poop bags in there. But the leash models are better.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:44 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,082 times
Quote:
Smell will be an issue every time you raise the lid regardless of the dog poop in a bag. I've found it a good habit NOT to breathe deep when opening my can.

Haven't ever had anyone complain. OTOH, lots of people have smiled when I pick the crap out of their yard and place it in a nearby receptacle.

I see lots of dog walkers. Haven't seen any of them carry poop bags for long distances. Surely they aren't all putting them in their fanny packs, etc.
They may very well be carrying the poop in packs.

My garbage can does NOT smell when the lid is raised. I always put bagged garbage in it. No smell, not even in summer.

Quote:
Congratulations on having the first trash can in history that doesn't smell.

The trash can is.
Other people's private trash cans are not for YOUR use. It is for THEIR use. THEY pay the bills. If you would like to use THEIR trash can, please submit your portion of the payment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
YOUR trash can. Not mine.

Keim, you might be interested in something like this.

Or this handy little device.

Or this cute one.

And one more.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:47 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Is this habitual, or just once in awhile? As long as it was securely tied in a plastic bag, I wouldn't be terribly upset. Can you pay a neighbor kid to put in your trash can right after the garbage truck comes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House