Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 03:32 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,791,360 times

Advertisements

I lived in a tiny house for years.....actually about a dozen tiny houses. They were called one bedroom apartments. I have no interest in going back to " tiny" living!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 04:20 AM

2,649 posts, read 1,838,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Has nothing to do with wanting a house . All I'm saying is that this "movement" is nothing more than a person buying or building a small camping trailer. There is nothing new amazing or progressive about it. It's a trailer.
They used to call "tiny houses," mobile homes......the tiny houses remind me of cabins. I would love to have a tiny house.......right in my back yard. Then I would rent out the "big house," and live in the little one. They seem to be well designed and have some nice lines, storage and, you can move them............

Old 11-08-2015, 08:32 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,170,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Actually you can get a loan for a tiny house as well as a loan for an RV, Fifth wheel or travel trailer.
We have a regular house but no mortgage and just bought our home in August 2015 with cash.
A loan is not a mortgage.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:45 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,045,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
That's because you can't get a mortgage on a trailer that's not permanently set up on its own land with its own utilities, no matter what the hell you call it.
No, but I imagine camping-trailer loans are very similar to loans for RVs or boats.

I've never had one of those loans, nor an auto loan for that matter, but I imagine a tiny-house "mortgage" would be more akin to a boat/RV/trailer loan than to a mortgage on actual real estate.

Besides: if it's not permanently affixed it isn't considered "real" property in the legal sense, rather simply "personal" property. There's a difference.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
They used to call "tiny houses," mobile homes......the tiny houses remind me of cabins. I would love to have a tiny house.......right in my back yard. Then I would rent out the "big house," and live in the little one. They seem to be well designed and have some nice lines, storage and, you can move them............
With what? You need at least a full-sized pickup with some power to haul around any kind of big camper/fifth wheel.

Then where are you going to move it to? Most municipalities in urban areas do NOT allow "dependent" mobile homes (ie, not permanently attached to water and sewer/septic) to be lived in permanently although they may allow campers to be set up that way for a limited period of time every year. Many other municipalities have minimum square footage requirements for dwellings, mostly in the 600-800 square foot range. Still other communities have zoning that restrict "accessory" buildings to garages and garden sheds. I seriously doubt that many HOAs are going to welcome somebody plunking down a 168-square foot trailer in their back yard as an additional residence.

My guess is that many of these trailers, ie "tiny homes", that are plunked down in someone's backyard are done so illegally, either totally without permits or with permits for temporary residence that the trailer dwellers ignore when the permits expire.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
No, but I imagine camping-trailer loans are very similar to loans for RVs or boats.

I've never had one of those loans, nor an auto loan for that matter, but I imagine a tiny-house "mortgage" would be more akin to a boat/RV/trailer loan than to a mortgage on actual real estate.

Besides: if it's not permanently affixed it isn't considered "real" property in the legal sense, rather simply "personal" property. There's a difference.
That was my point: these trailers can't qualify for a mortgage. I responded to someone bragging that these trailers don't have mortgages because they're so cheap when they don't have mortgages for an entirely different reason. You can't get a mortgage on a house trailer in a mobile home park, either.

If you put a trailer on land you own, unless it's permanently set up as a dwelling, including removing the wheels and hitch, you can't get a mortgage on the trailer and land, only the land.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:39 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,695,396 times
What a ripoff, $99 or more a night to stay in a tiny house, you can't figure out how it will be to live there by staying one or a few nights. Plus at that rate they are getting $3K a month if they have full bookings. That's $36K a year on a tiny home that may not even cost that much to build.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:40 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,695,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
That was my point: these trailers can't qualify for a mortgage. I responded to someone bragging that these trailers don't have mortgages because they're so cheap when they don't have mortgages for an entirely different reason. You can't get a mortgage on a house trailer in a mobile home park, either.

If you put a trailer on land you own, unless it's permanently set up as a dwelling, including removing the wheels and hitch, you can't get a mortgage on the trailer and land, only the land.
You can get a mortgage on a mobile home, even on a rented lot.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:07 PM

18,761 posts, read 11,755,546 times
I'm leaning towards building a tiny house (not on a trailer) in Maine. My definition of tiny is around 800 sq. feet. I want to build it on a lake and use it as a summer rental and hopefully live in it for free in the winter. John is not so enthused about my dream. Sigh.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:20 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,246,340 times
I'd hesitate about living in a tiny house in winter weather. It's bad enough being house bound during storms but being housebound in a tiny house would drive me crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House