Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 01:59 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times

Advertisements

If you cannot even stand up and stretch then you would not even give it to a dog , as animals have a right to even stand up and turn around ..... Its garbage !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 02:29 PM

563 posts, read 524,202 times
I find the Tiny House option is pretty amazing. I have lived in various sized homes in my life, but none as small as a tiny house. I have found when I have a larger house, there are some rooms that I literally never use. They are empty or just used as a place to store things that I do not know what to do with. I don't like to go to that room because it triggers part of my mind that feels I should sort through this stuff and throw a lot of it away. It is hard to do; to throw somethings away. So, it just sits there and it is not like I need the room, per se. That being said, I think that i could live in a Tiny House for brief periods of time. Think vacation home. I would love that. Now, where to build it.....

Old 11-08-2015, 05:47 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,934 times
Have you ever lived aboard a small boat, as in less than 26 feet? It's pretty much the same thing, especially for two people. You have to be very organized, and live with what you use, and not accumulate toys and plastic crap.
It can be done, especially if the other liveaboard is small, cute, smart, and above all, has a hilarious sense of humor.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:24 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,845,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood55 View Post
I find the Tiny House option is pretty amazing. I have lived in various sized homes in my life, but none as small as a tiny house. I have found when I have a larger house, there are some rooms that I literally never use. They are empty or just used as a place to store things that I do not know what to do with. I don't like to go to that room because it triggers part of my mind that feels I should sort through this stuff and throw a lot of it away. It is hard to do; to throw somethings away. So, it just sits there and it is not like I need the room, per se. That being said, I think that i could live in a Tiny House for brief periods of time. Think vacation home. I would love that. Now, where to build it.....
What a great idea....a vacation spot!! The tiny homes remind me of a cabin or A-frame....find an acre or two somewhere and bam!! You have your getaway.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:31 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I'm leaning towards building a tiny house (not on a trailer) in Maine. My definition of tiny is around 800 sq. feet. I want to build it on a lake and use it as a summer rental and hopefully live in it for free in the winter. John is not so enthused about my dream. Sigh.
That's a reasonable size for a home for a single or couple who want a smaller, cheaper living space. My house in suburban Albany was a bit under that. It's big enough for one or two decent sized bedrooms, bath, a laundry space, and reasonable kitchen-dining-living room space.

My current house has about 1400 square feet, but it started out much smaller when it was built in the 1920s, probably only about 800 square feet. Over the years, various owners finished the attic, added a bedroom/walk-in closet/entry foyer to the front, and then added a sunroom and covered porch to the back.

There are lots of "tiny houses" of between 600 and 900 square feet in most metros all over the US because prior to WW II, most urban houses were only about that size -- unless they were duplexes. Even after WW II, many, perhaps most, "starter homes" until the 1980s were 1000 square feet or less. If you want a "tiny" house, you can find an existing one easily.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:01 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Have you ever lived aboard a small boat, as in less than 26 feet? It's pretty much the same thing, especially for two people. You have to be very organized, and live with what you use, and not accumulate toys and plastic crap.
It can be done, especially if the other liveaboard is small, cute, smart, and above all, has a hilarious sense of humor.
That's about it. I have a camp with an 8 x 24 foot (192 square feet) camper set up with electric and propane there. I've stayed at camp grounds with other campers/RVs, and they're all pretty tight for long term living. I am thinking of replacing it with a used "park model" for a little more space.

Some retirees live full time in their RVs (motorhomes or fifth wheels mostly), so as someone said at the beginning of this thread, this isn't anything "new". What is new is the marketing of over-priced small camper-sized units as affordable, full-time homes that supposedly can be moved from one site to another. IMO, it's a scam because campers and RVs suffer significant depreciation, especially in their early years. So do mobile homes. Actually, houses do, too, unless they're located in desirable locations, meaning that they take most of their value, and just about all their appreciation, from the land that they sit on. My guess is that in about five years or so, this "tiny house trend" will go down in flames when the early adopters find out that their "tiny homes on wheels" are worth only half or a third of what they paid for them.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:52 AM

592 posts, read 1,478,693 times
$23k in Florida will get a double wide trailer house of 1200+ sw ft, that looks a house, and is nicer than most traditional homes. Its one of many reasons north east retirees head down. Buy it cash and pay lot fees.

My point, even though 23k for a tiny house sounds cheap there may be better options.

Third... every tiny house builder I've seen wants $65k

Old 11-09-2015, 07:14 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I don't want a tiny house or a McMansion. I like houses in the range of 1100-1800sq ft. If it was just me I could go down to possibly 600-800sq ft if the floorplan was good.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:05 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
I spend two weeks a year living in a 250 sq. ft. cabin as a get-away. It has a bedroom large enough for a single bed and a ladder-back chair, a kitchen with a two-burner stove & under counter fridge, a bathroom, and a sitting room with a desk & wood burning stove. I love it. I could absolutely do the tiny house thing.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:23 PM

4,948 posts, read 3,053,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
I lived in a tiny house for years.....actually about a dozen tiny houses. They were called one bedroom apartments. I have no interest in going back to " tiny" living!
You were fortunate, mine were studios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House