Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 04:52 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,920,524 times

Advertisements

The cost of gas in most areas is half or one third of electric, in other words you could heat or 2 or 3 rooms for what it will cost you to heat that one room with electric.

If you tell me what the rates in your area are I can give you idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 05:39 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,695,031 times
Before I was married I had a 2200 square foot house I was living alone in. I had been paying about 250 dollars a month to heat it with gas. I lowered the temp from 72 to 60, got a space heater and basically lived all winter in one small room. In that room the temp. was about 72. Nice and comfy, but when you came out, the rest of the house felt COLD. But, the gas bill went down to about 55 dollars and the electric bill only went up by 20, so there was good savings there. If there is anyone else in the house, it's not really practical. At any rate be safe with space heaters. Always off when sleeping and not at home.

Old 11-14-2015, 01:41 PM

4,567 posts, read 5,640,604 times
Default A smaller space heater with a fan may warm up a room faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Space heaters suck up the power, but the oil filled radiator type are both efficient and safe, they just take a while to warm up.
All resistive electric heat is equally efficient, nothing special about the oil-filled types.

Personally, I prefer the faster radiant heat of a mica panel heater, but that's just personal preference, there's no real difference in operating costs with the different styles of electric space heater.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:24 PM

22,627 posts, read 24,486,042 times
People suggesting some sort of electric gadget that you sleep with, in your bed...........HUM, I would
definitely pass on that.

I would MUCH rather go with a metal space-heater, that has a 3 prong plug (grounded chassis)which is in excellent shape. Plug it into a grounded outlet, away from anything that is flammable.

A lot of the newer, metal space-heaters are sold with 2 prong plugs, do not buy one......they are missing a very important safety-feature in order to save a few pennies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House