Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 03:59 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,131,557 times

Advertisements

Ugh, Suzanne, we had chased bugs and MICE from our wood pile in MI before we switched to the gas.

Folks, a word of advice, if you have a nice pile of logs up against the side of your house so that they are always nice and handy for the fireplace - MOVE THEM NOW!

Seems that mice and snakes love to snuggle into a pile of logs in the winter. They are just waiting there to give you a hearty hello when you pick out your logs for the fire!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 09:07 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
Default Like this ¿

Old 02-06-2008, 10:16 PM

Smile Hold tight, Bones. Help is on its way!

Bones, I have just put a call into Critter Getters on Hillsboro Hts. Rd. in Knoxville for you.

Don't worry, they'll be there just as soon as they catch that durn turkey in Turkey Creek!

(Oh, by the way, they charge extra for going out into the boonies. Sorry. Uh, and could you move a couple cords of wood a little to the right? They're blocking the water view. Thanks, Bones, that's much better.)

Old 02-06-2008, 10:32 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,867,828 times
We don't have all that wood, but we do have a 330 gallon LP gas tank buried next to the house. We have two gas log fireplaces; one in our living room and one in our den in the basement. The one in our den gets much more use than the one in the livingroom. For some reason we prefer to hang out underground like hobbits.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:35 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
Default I have my own Critter Getters

//www.city-data.com/forum/2524731-post5.html

Sorry Gem, cant move to the right - house is there....

Old 02-06-2008, 10:43 PM

Talking Look out! Bones' cat is after Phyll's cow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/2524731-post5.html

Sorry Gem, cant move to the right - house is there....
Now, that is a cat to be proud of - or scared of!!

Old 02-06-2008, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williboy View Post
We don't have all that wood, but we do have a 330 gallon LP gas tank buried next to the house. We have two gas log fireplaces; one in our living room and one in our den in the basement. The one in our den gets much more use than the one in the livingroom. For some reason we prefer to hang out underground like hobbits.
Uh, how close to the house is that tank, williboy?

Seriously, I didn't even know you could bury LP tanks in the ground. That would be a great advantage to having it sit in your yard.

Sounds cozy in the den with a nice burning gas log. I like it!

Last edited by gemkeeper; 02-06-2008 at 10:55 PM..

Old 02-07-2008, 07:25 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,867,828 times
Has to be at least 15 feet from the house. We love the den; we have the big screen with satellite and all the bells and whistles down there. There is also a full bath plus a fourth bedroom in our basement. If we could just get another kitchen down there.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,134 times
Default Stinky gas fireplace

I also purchased a ventless gas log set for my real fireplace last spring. I was so dissappointed. I also can't stand the smell. I just burned it a few times for just 30 minutes to an hour maybe and had to shut it off because of the smell. I hate it! So I just called the people I bought it from and they said to crack the window and burn it on high for 8 hours to burn off the factory glase. He said it might even smoke. Then he said it should be fine. I was wondering if you had any luck with yours because if this dosn't work I'm gonna get rid if it.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:59 AM

1,109 posts, read 2,959,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrvnMeNutz View Post
I also purchased a ventless gas log set for my real fireplace last spring. I was so dissappointed. I also can't stand the smell. I just burned it a few times for just 30 minutes to an hour maybe and had to shut it off because of the smell. I hate it! So I just called the people I bought it from and they said to crack the window and burn it on high for 8 hours to burn off the factory glase. He said it might even smoke. Then he said it should be fine. I was wondering if you had any luck with yours because if this dosn't work I'm gonna get rid if it.
Hi DrvnMeNutz! Cute name! It worked just fine for me. I was shocked when the gas man resituated my logs and told me to do that. It worked like a charm though. The important thing is also log placement. Seems if they are not placed exactly how they should be they smell too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House