Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 08:38 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times

Advertisements

We search for this or that and when we finally find it, it was in the simplest of places, perhaps a place we had checked, something that makes us wonder if the temporal gods are playing with us.

This morning, after months of being missing, I finally found my Nikes. I have been so desperate to go bike riding that I've done it in my jeans and boots......but bike shorts and Nikes are better. I had looked and looked again in the room I thought they were in, I was about ready to go out and buy another pair (and you know they would just show up then!). But Fates intervened and while I was looking for a kaftan to lend, I found them....on the top of the boxes, under an old, folded up gear bag. 1.5 inches of folded nylon bag that had hidden them for so long.

Or the stacks of paper plates for last week's camping trip. Things so big, they couldn't have disappeared. But in the final hours, I couldn't find them.........until I looked up and saw them atop a wine rack (about 4 feet up).

Is finding stuff a science? An art? Or is it really, toils and perils and tributes we pay to the temporal gods who remove things from our time line for their play?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 08:57 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times
The single "fix" to finding stuff is simple:

Everything in its place

That simple concept means that Nothing gets "lost" because you are either using it, or it's in its place. Some things will have more than one "place", like my headlamp... at home, it's "place" is in the top of my camping box (because I need to use it when doing work in the attic and crawl space)... but when I'm camping, its "place" is in the mesh pocket on my side of the tent.

It can be difficult to adopt this mindset and lifestyle, where you put things away Directly after you've finished using them, but the effort to change has its own rewards/payoffs... like not wasting time looking for things, or money to replace things. Plus, less clutter, and in my case, WAY less space needed to store everything.

Buy a shoe rack.. either one that sits on the floor or hangs over a door. All shoes always go there unless you're wearing them. Simple fix that could cost less than $10...

Old 11-15-2015, 08:59 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Not hard to find things if you commit to always putting things away immediately when you're done using them.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:03 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Well, please do consider that this house is a temporary between the whirlwind move from the apartments and when I finally get the ranch house built (the plans have been finalized, now to start with a builder).

Old 11-15-2015, 09:40 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times
Doesn't Matter if it's temporary. If you have "stuff", it needs a place. Be that for an hour or a year... "Months" of something being missing means it is FAR from temporary anyway.

Clean. No, seriously, this is the first step.

Decide what to keep, keep Available or store.

Pick a Dedicated spot for the stuff you want available, remove the rest (we all accumulate, this needs to be done every so often even if you Never move). I know, it's hard to let go of sentimental things that have no other use/value, but things kept in boxes and forgotten about until you dig through those boxes again aren't really important to begin with. Get it into storage if you're not using/displaying something now but HAVE a dedicated place in the future.

Now, always put the stuff back into its place when you're done with it.

I could tell you where everything in my house is located... not a small task as it's ~2400sq/ft and I have 2 different garages. But I know where everything belongs. Same was true when I moved into an apartment for 2 months while renovating a house I'd just purchased.

If you're losing stuff it's only for a couple reasons. Memory issues, but I trust you don't have alzheimer's (and organization helps that). Clutter/hording, it's a real issue for health, safety and being able to use what you own... there are professionals who can help with the underlying issues if you fit this (even if it's just a little bit). And you don't have A place for everything... if shoes just go wherever, you'll Never expect to find them. What would happen if you decided that laundry could just go wherever? I mean, MOST people have a "sock" drawer... but what if you simply decided that socks could live anywhere? M'eh, I'll just put them in the cabinet with the cereal. Or in shove some in a closet.... without a place, they end up EVERYWHERE.

By having a Place for everything that means you don't end up with "junk" drawers either.

The fact that you had to have an excuse Means something. Maybe you're unwilling to admit there's a problem, or you think it'll *magically* go away when you move again? (Not likely, moves are the only time I've lost ANYTHING in the past 10 years, and typically that first week or two After the move) Regardless, there IS a way to fix it. That's the point I'm trying to make. You don't need to lose stuff, spend time looking, get frustrated, etc... it's just simply something that's avoidable in life. Take your frustration levels over the shoes and think on how that hindered your life.. you couldn't do something you wanted to, it Nearly cost you money, it DID cost you happiness and inner peace. Are those prices worthwhile for something that can easily be avoided?

Just think on it... It's frustrating to see someone post something that's completely avoidable. It's not like *I* get anything out of your taking action or remaining the same other than maybe a little feel-good over helping someone eliminate a source of frustration. You could save yourself frustration and make some random guy on the internet feel a little better all in one fell swoop.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:42 AM

106,646 posts, read 108,790,719 times
i always find what i am looking for in the last place i look .

Old 11-15-2015, 09:49 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

After I find my item, I still look in 2 or 3 more places just so I wont say that.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:49 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,032,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
This theory is mistaken. Often, things are found in the first place you looked, however, you didn't see it the first time or the 20th. Like when you spend all day looking for your keys but they were on your desk the whole time under a piece of paper.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:14 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
Purge your junk! You have admitted to holding on to volumes of non-functional stuff, no wonder things go missing!

Old 11-15-2015, 10:37 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, please do consider that this house is a temporary between the whirlwind move from the apartments and when I finally get the ranch house built (the plans have been finalized, now to start with a builder).

Weather temporary or permanent the key is being organized dear one. I have 22 boxes of Halloween decorations that I put up every year and I can find what I need pretty easily when I decorate because everything is organized and neatly packed away. Just keep all of your shoes together and finding a pair won't be an issue. I have this organizer that hangs in the closet that holds all of my shoes. All of our boots are on a shelf in a closet in the laundry room. I can't function in chaos and don't get me started on John's tool room. Try to form good habits and keep things organized. It makes life so much easier and you won't waste money buying duplicate things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House