Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 05:10 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,622,407 times

Advertisements

^^^Will it work... maybe.

The risk is great because of the risk of not properly isolating from the grid which means you might be powering the neighborhood or worse... electrocute someone.

Also, there is still the issue of the large cord to deal with.

Part of my job is to oversee Hospital Emergency Power Systems including generators...

A code compliant quality install is not cheap...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 05:29 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,661,575 times
Exclamation Wiring a power inlet box is relatively inexpensive (compared to the cost of killing a utility worker)

Quote:
Originally Posted by exphysics teacher View Post
I am sure to be yelled at BUT, figure the circuits you need ex furnace, lights in family room, internet whatever. count the max wattage and buy an appropriate generator. You can then double plug and back feed into your system. Make sure you turn off your main and unwanted circuits. I would not suggest this for energy hogs such as ac, refrig.
Oh yeah, the infamous "homicide plug"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
A code compliant quality install is not cheap...
$50 bucks for the inlet box, about the same for a length of 10/3 wire, add $40 for a simple interlock. Even with labor, under $400.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:41 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,511,329 times
I'm back to having no clue what to do

Old 11-18-2015, 09:26 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,063,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
Just to provide a counterpoint to this- my father passed along a generator that hadn't been used for 9 years and still had some of the old gas in it. It took some muscle to get it going (lots and lots of pull starts), but it ran fine after the first 20 mins or so.

Gas cans are annoying if you don't have a shed or a garage to keep them it; I am in agreement on that one.
Can they sit for years without use...sure. Is it advisable...NO....

Gensets should be run every month or so for lubrication and move gasoline through the carburator.....nothing worse than when you need it the most and it won't run....

Honda Generators - Generator Operation

Old 11-18-2015, 09:30 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,063,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I'm back to having no clue what to do
Just like the stock market....when in doubt..."DO NOTHING"...

Since you are renting, don't spend a lot of money on something that might not even happen before you move...

Old 11-18-2015, 10:16 PM

7,694 posts, read 5,440,158 times
Quote:
I grew up in a home that was seldom heated... we all wore thermals with no ill effects... so dressing for cold weather is another option...
An excellent option, as are comforters of down or even poly fiber, or other, cozy bed socks, even a nightcap (that would be too warm for me, but perfect for a child).

Quote:
It was 55 in my bedroom last night... and I sleep better when it is cooler.
Same here and I'm a Californian in the SF Bay Area, too.

It's funny how some people think we here can't handle the rare cold times we have.

It just takes a little ingenuity, and no breaking of laws intended for health and safety.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:20 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,605,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Ok, I guess I've touched a nerve by wanting to keep my child warm. I'll rent a hotel next time. I was just asking a question and looking for suggestions.
Try buying some of those fleece footie pyjamas and a nice warm wearable blanket. It's a damn sight safer than a fuel burning heater in an enclosed space with children around who could tip it over. Also, children die from carbon monoxide before adults do.

I set my thermostat to 58 at night, my kids have never complained.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:53 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,622,407 times
Growing up in the Bay Area the only time I remember the heat being on was around the Holidays when family would gather... Mom came from snow country and they never heated the bedrooms... just down comforters when it got real cold... Dad was always on the warm side and always kept the heat off... never lived in a home with A/C either.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:25 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,511,329 times
Yes, I'm probably a wimp and spoiled but my son is 2 and said he was cold so that's what sparked me to want to take action. He did have warms PJs and warm blankets but was still cold. I'm still deciding what to do.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:25 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,662,657 times
If you buy a generator, chain it to something. Last winter somebody posted the story of their generator vanishing down the street. By the time they got outside, it was gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House