Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 10:45 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

Renting limits your options...

A generator is a great option but comes with it's own set of issues...

The safest and most trouble free option would be installing a millivolt wall or floor furnace...

The only thing these gas furnaces need to function is gas and pilot light.

I bought a home from an elderly couple and sometime they had central heat put in... a very nice install.

I then noticed they still had a wall furnace and asked why...

The couple said they left it in place as a backup heat source in case the power went out... and then went on to say power was out 4 days after the earth quake... and their foresight in leaving the old wall furnace paid off...

I keep a Honda Electric start 5000 and a 1000 here at home... I also have a 2000W inverter on my service truck with extension cord making my truck a portable electric outlet...

Never did go the auto transfer set up because power is seldom out here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 11:24 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Yes, I'm probably a wimp and spoiled but my son is 2 and said he was cold so that's what sparked me to want to take action. He did have warms PJs and warm blankets but was still cold. I'm still deciding what to do.
I'm wondering about that. There is a difference between being cold and being overly distressed. Kids will express complaint without regard to reality or consequence. If he had been learning to skate or ski, his being cold would likely not have been an issue. One can protect children against danger, but to protect them from discomfort, or to focus on that discomfort, might not be prudent in the long run. Doing so could sensitize a child to normal things in life that are regularly tolerated.

The standard on cold when I was growing up in Vermont was teeth chattering. That is an autonomic response by the body to help warm it. Until it got to that point, cold was just cold and mostly ignored.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:45 PM

679 posts, read 812,192 times
Quote:
Unfortunately the law states (I think?) that I cannot have this legally in my home. Although it doesn't say I can't use but I don't want to mess with the law. Here is the law:

California Health and Safety Code Section 19881 states that no person "shall sell, or offer for sale, any new or used unvented heater that is designed to be used inside any dwelling house or unit, with the exception of an electric heater, or decorative gas logs for use in a vented fireplace."

I've only lived here a year and this is the only time it went off more than an hour but during the summer it would have been worse if it happened on a hot day, not having AC. I don't mind spending some money on a solution just to have peace of mind. Yes, a hotel might be cheaper overall but I'd rather have an in house option if possible.

I think sometimes you have to decide what is best for you rather than let some legislator decide. If it were me, I would go with the camp heater someone mentioned earlier and just keep it for "camping."

After all, are they going to go inside your home to do a spot check? "Don't ask don't tell" isn't just a philosophy from the Clinton administration.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:10 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
There are a number of freestanding direct vented gas stoves that do not require electricity. They are not very efficient - that is the cost of not requiring electricity.

Example Jotul Lillehammer.

here's another example

Empire Heating Systems: Direct-Vent Wall Furnace

Old 11-19-2015, 04:35 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
Wink Kind of tough for OP to cut a big hole in the wall without the landlord noticing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
There are a number of freestanding direct vented gas stoves that do not require electricity. They are not very efficient - that is the cost of not requiring electricity.
Looks like AFUE on the Empire no-electricity models (77-80%) is only a few points lower than similar-BTU powered heaters from Rinnai (81%). The real drawbacks to unpowered (aka "gravity") direct-vent wall furnaces is the need for a pilot light, and they can't supply a lot of heat quickly due to the lack of forced air.

The Empire "gravity" direct vent wall furnaces are a good option if you have gas available and can cut a big hole in the wall. Empire has models with optional fans and millivolt thermostats, so you can be more efficient when AC power is available but still have automatic heat when the power is out.

Even an AC-powered direct vent heater would be better than a space heater, the Rinnai I have draws just 1W on idle and 56W when the fan is running full speed, easily powered by a very small Honda inverter-type generator.

I doubt the OP can get away with cutting a 7" hole in the wall without the landlord noticing.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:53 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
I have never had any sort of backup in the event of power outages but now I'm wanting to get something. My power was out for 36 hours on the coldest 2 days in awhile here. I live in Southern California so it's not going to kill me but I have a toddler so it still wasn't fun. Before you all say I'm a wimp, I live in an old house with nearly no insulation (I rent) and before the power came back on last night it got down to 58 degrees in my house.

So I want to try and find a solution before this happens again. I was looking into generators but they are so loud and dirty so I read about battery backups but none of them probably have power to even start a space heater and if they do it could only run a short time. Does anyone have any recommendations to get some heat if the power goes out again? If I had to do it over, I'd have went to a hotel last night.

I can't get certain types of heaters because CA law doesn't allow certain types of heaters indoors either. Last night we just used lots of clothing and blankets but it was downright cold by the time the power finally came back on.
There are electric solar charged generators. The problem with hooking one up in your house is you need a disconnect so you don't feed power back to the grid and hurt someone working on the lines.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:34 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
Question What is an "electric solar charged generator"???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek
Does anyone have any recommendations to get some heat if the power goes out again?
There are electric solar charged generators. The problem with hooking one up in your house is you need a disconnect so you don't feed power back to the grid and hurt someone working on the lines.
What is an "electric solar charged generator"? And how would one help Mr_Geek keep his rented rooms warm while the power is out overnight?

Old 11-19-2015, 05:39 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
Grid tie solar goes off if the power in the community goes off.
Independent solar and battery is what I do, but it is not for heating , that takes too much energy.
However,
A pellet stove can be set up in a home and the exhaust be run out a window . the exhaust is so cold they use ABS plastic to vent it out of the stove.
A good photovoltaic solar system and battery bank and inverter will run that pellet stove for the night .
I had built mine into a trailer that is my shop, so moving from one home to another my solar goes with me. I have generators on board in the event I need them but not so far .I use a wood stove in my home for heating and cooking if necessary.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:31 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Just like the stock market....when in doubt..."DO NOTHING"...

Since you are renting, don't spend a lot of money on something that might not even happen before you move...
Seriously, since the house is not yours, and there seems to be little chance of freezing the pipes - just go to a motel if the power fails and you get uncomfortably cold.

One thing that might make sense if you can find one would be a natural gas heater, not necessarily one without venting, but could be, that will work without power in the house. A small one you could take with you if need be. Maybe buy an antique one if you can't find one new.

I had a house in Colorado with "floor furnaces" these would work just fine with power off. It had a lot of windows, on a snowy Colorado morning when the power went out, having a gas water heater and range as well, the sum total of my inconvenience was the oven wouldn't work at all, but the cook top could be lit with a match. Otherwise business as usual.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:37 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Yeah, so I'll probably just rent a hotel next time. I'm not finding a cost effective, legal, and safe solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House