Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 07:29 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,233,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Just for the record, saltbox houses have two stories in the front and only one in the back, with a roofline that swoops far lower in the back of the house than the front.

The house in question appears to be a mash-up of several styles. Farmhouse, Dutch Colonial, Craftsman, as others have mentioned, with some characteristics of each. Perhaps the people who constructed the additions weren't singing out of the same song book. The basis of it might be easier to identify if we knew what the front looked liked. In any case it has some charm and if it suits your family then it's a Good Ohio House.
I like the 'not singing out of the same songbook' line...
I agree that the home has charm...the OP seems to be keen on keeping things preserved....so much has been tossed and destroyed....some by my Uncles...loved those guys but man, they really went to work on my Grandmas house .
@ post # 40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 08:33 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
I like the 'not singing out of the same songbook' line...
I agree that the home has charm...the OP seems to be keen on keeping things preserved....so much has been tossed and destroyed....some by my Uncles...loved those guys but man, they really went to work on my Grandmas house .
@ post # 40

Yes! I am keen on keeping things preserved! I went out of my way to find the original colors of the house - and matched them as well as was possible.

The house is mostly in virgin condition - with the exception of the kitchen which was updated in the late 50s, and we updated it with soapstone counter tops and stainless appliances.We added a new floor as well. And baths. Updated in the early 2000s - not by us. But the owners had the common sense not to remove the oak medicine cabinet which is original to the house.

The outside of the house - the original foot print - has not been changed - with the exception of the addition of the two car garage.

I agree that it sings it's own song.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:58 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
I wish I could add commentary that was unique and distinct, but I agree, a Dutch Colonial Farmhouse. The 1920s were noted for their period revival houses, most commonly English (Tudor), French Provincial, Spanish Colonial, and American Colonial. Dutch Colonial would fit into the period revival theme of the 20s. And while the outside would be one of these period styles, a Craftsman style interior would still have been prevalent, though dropping in popularity.

Also, when categorizing a house style, many texts give great weight to the style of the roof and the roof line. Therefore, "Dutch" has to be part of any stylistic determination. However, the slope of the roof is not as steep as a true Dutch colonial. It might also be described as "Farmhouse style with Dutch Colonial influences".

From the picture, it appears the windows have been replaced inside the original openings. A purist would at some point try to get back to original wooden windows. However, if you are not seeking a historical designation, then it isn't critical.

Not a Ranch house. Previous posters are spot on, on why it isn't.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:02 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
I wish I could add commentary that was unique and distinct, but I agree, a Dutch Colonial Farmhouse. The 1920s were noted for their period revival houses, most commonly English (Tudor), French Provincial, Spanish Colonial, and American Colonial. Dutch Colonial would fit into the period revival theme of the 20s. And while the outside would be one of these period styles, a Craftsman style interior would still have been prevalent, though dropping in popularity.

Also, when categorizing a house style, many texts give great weight to the style of the roof and the roof line. Therefore, "Dutch" has to be part of any stylistic determination. However, the slope of the roof is not as steep as a true Dutch colonial. It might also be described as "Farmhouse style with Dutch Colonial influences".

From the picture, it appears the windows have been replaced inside the original openings. A purist would at some point try to get back to original wooden windows. However, if you are not seeking a historical designation, then it isn't critical.

Not a Ranch house. Previous posters are spot on, on why it isn't.
Thank you for your comments. Dutch Colonial Farmhouse seems like part of it. The interior is very typically craftsman. I also have been looking at the idea that it may be a single house.

I've gotten some responses privately,and in this thread that it could be a shingle style house.

The idea that this two story house with all bedrooms upstairs in a ranch of any sort, is preposterous.

ETA - the windows are all original downstairs - except the back two where the family room conversion (from the original garage) was built in 59.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:06 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Usually when this type of question gets asked there are two definites-

The person asking has no inkling to "architectural" style; or, there is no clear cut "pigeon hole" for the house to fit in.

As I previously stated, in most generic terms I call this particular house a "farm house". Not that it was an actual "farm house" but because its a mish-mash of several "influences" with no real destinctive "style".

There's a craftsman "note" with the porch, the gambrel roof lends itself to both "Dutch colonial" and "shingle style". But there are too many other missing elements of either style to say definitively its "this" or "that" style. And no, I wasn't being sarcastic with my "vivid imagination" comment- most homes built in the latter part of the 19th century/beginning of 20th century were "built" by carpenters and trades people. "Architecture" for residential homes was in its very early infancy. This house is a comulgate of several different styles.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:09 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Yes! I am keen on keeping things preserved! I went out of my way to find the original colors of the house - and matched them as well as was possible.

The house is mostly in virgin condition - with the exception of the kitchen which was updated in the late 50s, and we updated it with soapstone counter tops and stainless appliances.We added a new floor as well. And baths. Updated in the early 2000s - not by us. But the owners had the common sense not to remove the oak medicine cabinet which is original to the house.

The outside of the house - the original foot print - has not been changed - with the exception of the addition of the two car garage.

I agree that it sings it's own song.
Unless you have the original plans and color photographs of the interior and exterior of the house when built, you are really only guessing whether or not features like the oak medicine cabinet and paint colors are truly 'original to the house'. The original builder could have reworked or added on features any number of times without leaving evidence that things were ever different.

It's a house, not an architectural masterpiece by a master designer. Enjoy it as your house, not a historical monument to one random owner's vision.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:03 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
There are several in my neighborhood that have the original attached garage. They are clearly 20s - 30s houses. A couple have the original craftsman looking doors with the little windows.

I agree that even early post WWII homes mostly had detached garages,
Especially in more working class areas.

This was not a working class area. An older neighbor was able to tell me that the forst owners who built the house, owned a Packard. I don't think it was a luxury car, but better than average.

I will post more pics - probably tomorrow. Thanks for your interest.
Just a quick note about Packards: they were in the same league as Cadillac and Lincoln until WWII.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:04 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Not only one story, but it's usually taken a bit further and refers to a home that is more long than it is square, many times an L-shaped plan. The larger ones are commonly referred to as a "sprawling ranch".
I love ranch homes and we remodeled a 60's Mid Century Modern that we lived in for 12 years. We just came close to buying another but unfortunately it was too small for our young family and had to choose a different home.
That hurt a little bit. haha
Yes. Sometimes I've seen large ranches called "ramblers." The pictured home is not a ranch style at all.

It doesn't look Dutch Colonial to me either. https://www.google.com/search?q=dutc...BPCuIQ_AUIBigB

Old 11-22-2015, 07:08 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
In the olden days, houses were often built with a few rooms, then added onto as the family got bigger and funds allowed. I would guess that your house was constructed that way.

I find it odd that the front of the house doesn't look like a normal front. The windows aren't symmetrical or matched in size in a meaningful way. If the windows are varied in different parts of the house, and if the floors are not the same, I'd imagine it was added onto as funds allowed by the original owners.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:21 PM

5,326 posts, read 6,012,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
In the olden days, houses were often built with a few rooms, then added onto as the family got bigger and funds allowed. I would guess that your house was constructed that way.

I find it odd that the front of the house doesn't look like a normal front. The windows aren't symmetrical or matched in size in a meaningful way. If the windows are varied in different parts of the house, and if the floors are not the same, I'd imagine it was added onto as funds allowed by the original owners.
We are viewing one side of the house, not the front. I think that's why there is such disagreement as to the style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House