Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 10:14 PM

146 posts, read 449,174 times

Advertisements

Have builders of houses (whether it's cookie cutter tract homes or custom homes) ever put a tarp over the house(s) during bad rain?

The reason I ask is because I've noticed a lot of concern expressed here and on the Internet about builders not using tarps now, and wood bowing/dipping due to exposure to rain during construction. Someone asked where the blue tarps used during construction went?

Based on that, did builders use to put tarps over houses to protect the exposed "shell" from rain in the 70s/80s/90s? Do they ever do that nowadays, or have they?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 10:34 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,030,601 times
I had construction during rainy season. The roof was still good. I made sure all of the walls are covered with black plastic sheeting. It was a pretty big effort to keep all of the sheeting on during the rain because the wind would rip it up and then the sheets of plastic would be everywhere. I had to figure out the whole system of how to tack down plastic sheets so that they wouldn't blow away in the wind. Just using a hammer tacker is not sufficient.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:38 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
We had a house built in 1997. After the framing was done (which took about 3 days, IIRC) the very next thing was the roof. No tarps used.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:39 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
No. There's no reason to.

Considering the main building material for homes here in the US is wood, and it naturally has moisture in it, a little more isn't going to hurt. Even premium subflooring has 100 day "no sand" warranties.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:49 PM

That's the original post i actually was referring to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
Ever wonder why we dont see the blue tarps on houses being built like we used to? Its not that rain doesnt happen, the workers are cheap and lazy and just dont care since all anyone looks at it the fancy molding.

This is even worse as more home are built with non-real wood products that swell easily when wet. OSB is not meant to get wet at all and will swell and buckle at the seams. The swelling also makes it weaker. Not to mention that the unskilled (many times illegal) workers never install a product correctly with the gaps and such.

Also usually the roof is the first thing completed to start getting the house sealed so I would ask why this isnt the case. I have never seen this except in shoddy construction.

You posted here with your gut feeling that water in a wood house is bad, dont let anyone try and convince you it is good or OK. The issue is complaining to anyone doesnt help because there is someone always in back of you that will buy the house.
So, is it true? Did houses used to have blue tarps covering them during the construction phase?

Old 11-24-2015, 05:07 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
I only remember seeing 'blue tarps' on houses damaged by fire or extreme weather while waiting for repair not during initial construction

Old 11-24-2015, 05:48 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
I had an addition done 10 years ago during the winter. We had rain and snow. No tarps were used. As long as the shell has a few days to dry out before insulation and siding goes on, all will be fine.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:15 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
When we built our addition in 2012, they only put tarps down over the foundation after it was poured so ensure the rain due that night would not affect it. They did not tarp the shell when it rained. They waited several days before beginning work again after it rained, and worked like beasts to get the shell fully enclosed before the next batch of rain arrived a few days later.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:16 AM

22,561 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
I only remember seeing 'blue tarps' on houses damaged by fire or extreme weather while waiting for repair not during initial construction

Same here.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:57 AM

Okay, how about house construction during the 1970s, 80s, and 90s? Were tarps used at all back then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House