Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 04:35 AM

924 posts, read 1,021,424 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I am going to be working on the plumbing by myself, and yes, this is my first time. So, I am researching way ahead of time (that is also why I am posting in the forums) and was hoping to get some advice from you guys who done small plumbing jobs

I am planning to add on a floating bathroom sink, which, might need to reroute the plumbing a little with copper pipes. Now, obviously I know I have to shut off the water valve and cut the dry wall to add an extra wood to the beams

now, when it comes to rerouting the copper pipes, any tips before I start cutting away? If I were to have a leak, obviously the source would be the connections and tightings. So, are all plumbing copper pipes about the same size? any tips ahead of time would be great appreciated!

Also, was thinking of adding tiles on the wall. So, should I add tiles before or after the sink is up? I figured adding the tiles after the sink might be a bit easier than to cut through tiles, unless im wrong

and no I am not hiring anyone to do this - im not asking your opinions about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 07:45 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Can you sweat pipe?

Old 11-27-2015, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Can you sweat pipe?
yes I can. I solder them together. not that hard. anything else I should be weary of?

Old 11-27-2015, 04:21 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
So, are all plumbing copper pipes about the same size?
Usually 3/4 or 1/2. For a sink usually 1/2.

Quote:
any tips ahead of time would be great appreciated!
  • After you turn the water off, drain it. You do not want any water in the pipe for quite a distance. A)The steam can cause a faulty solder joint especially if it's the last conncetion and )B it sucks up the heat.
  • Thoroughly clean the copper with sandpaper, wire brush or steel wool. They make wire brushes specifically for the inside of the fittings. I usually keep an old one around that is wore out for the inside of the pipe itself. It's not necessary on new pipe but with old pipe you are going to have some corrosion inside, it's one less thing to contaminate your solder joint.
  • If you are soldering pipe that has already been soldered heat the solder up and wipe it off with a heavy towel, then clean it. This removes the bulk of the solder so the fitting goes on easily.
  • Dry fit before soldering, larger sections can be soldered together on a bench etc.

Old 11-27-2015, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Usually 3/4 or 1/2. For a sink usually 1/2.

• After you turn the water off, drain it. You do not want any water in the pipe for quite a distance. A)The steam can cause a faulty solder joint especially if it's the last conncetion and )B it sucks up the heat.
  • Thoroughly clean the copper with sandpaper, wire brush or steel wool. They make wire brushes specifically for the inside of the fittings. I usually keep an old one around that is wore out for the inside of the pipe itself. It's not necessary on new pipe but with old pipe you are going to have some corrosion inside, it's one less thing to contaminate your solder joint.
  • If you are soldering pipe that has already been soldered heat the solder up and wipe it off with a heavy towel, then clean it. This removes the bulk of the solder so the fitting goes on easily.
  • Dry fit before soldering, larger sections can be soldered together on a bench etc.
great! these are actually some tips that will come in handy! I am looking at more videos and you know just trying to figure stuff on my own.

So when looking for connectors to re-path the copper piping, chances are, I will need 1/2 inch pipes that will follow up to the sink? and joint that I add on, or connection piece, I will have to sauder correct? when it comes time to buy the pipes, ill will take measurements anyways and show the people in home depot. Hopefully they have knowledge about the subject

any other advice dos and donts would great be appreciated.

my plans are (will be about 4 - 5 months before I have enough knowledge and research

- remove old vanity
- find correct floating sink that fits along with wood if needed to add inside the dry wall
- cut up the dry wall and make sure there is no outlets near by
- inside the dry wall mark the wood, add wood if mounds to add up
- repath the copper pipes to make it fit the wall mounted sink.
-patch up dry wall screw in sink
- finish the path for pipes and instructions for sink
- connect the feed lines
- test water? haha

then tile it up!

Old 11-27-2015, 06:22 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
Hey guys, I am going to be working on the plumbing by myself, and yes, this is my first time. So, I am researching way ahead of time (that is also why I am posting in the forums) and was hoping to get some advice from you guys who done small plumbing jobs

I am planning to add on a floating bathroom sink, which, might need to reroute the plumbing a little with copper pipes. Now, obviously I know I have to shut off the water valve and cut the dry wall to add an extra wood to the beams

now, when it comes to rerouting the copper pipes, any tips before I start cutting away? If I were to have a leak, obviously the source would be the connections and tightings. So, are all plumbing copper pipes about the same size? any tips ahead of time would be great appreciated!

Also, was thinking of adding tiles on the wall. So, should I add tiles before or after the sink is up? I figured adding the tiles after the sink might be a bit easier than to cut through tiles, unless im wrong

and no I am not hiring anyone to do this - im not asking your opinions about that.

Based on your questions you don't know enough about plumbing to do it yourself.

Yes I know you have seen somebody else do it and it looks real easy so why should you pay somebody?

BTW many plumbers make good money fixing other people's DIY jobs.

Go ahead DIY, looking forward for you asking for the name of a good plumber.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Based on your questions you don't know enough about plumbing to do it yourself.

Yes I know you have seen somebody else do it and it looks real easy so why should you pay somebody?

BTW many plumbers make good money fixing other people's DIY jobs.

Go ahead DIY, looking forward for you asking for the name of a good plumber.
1. Umm, if I knew about plumbing, I would not be asking in the forums? (Do not seem that intelligent?)
2. I posted this thread for advice, not your says.
3. I make plenty to pay a plumber; however, I want to aquire this skill on my own since I get bored around the house.
4. my father was a DIY man and learned plumbing on his own and did fine, why cant I?
5. I never said it looked easy; being an Systems Engineer, I enjoy complex tasks. It is one of the reason I like learning things on my own and constantly learning new skills? Hence, that is why I am learning 3 - 5 months in advance.
6. My father was also an engineer and remodeled homes on the side as DIY man; so what is your say in this?
7. I am not doing this to save cost, I am doing this for self pride and to keep myself busy...and I believe its "Man like" to learn these for my pretty hot wife

Old 11-27-2015, 07:56 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,556 times
Plumbing for dummies ? There's got to be a book out there by that name !

As a General Contractor, I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say, "How hard can it be ?"
Well, the answer is ," It's as hard as you want it to be."

The school of hard knocks is one that has no mercy and will leave you at the end of the day beaten down with the realization that you couldn't have forseen the trials and tribulations that the day has presented to you. Even the most experienced person will be surprised by "blind gotchas" that no amount of experience could have seen coming down the road.
In the end, having enough capital will allow you to forbear and move on and hopefully, your project won't become a money pit.

We've all been there, done that, and the next time you do it, take solace that it will be easier.
Hopefully, you can find someone who will be willing to hold your hand and act as a consultant as your earn your stripes.

Personally, I've learned that you can't give advise on a problem that is hundreds of miles away without getting into a complex relationship of e-mails and pictures. It will become a time sponge that will end up sucking up all your spare time and personal life to the point that you realize that you are just working for nothing.
Maybe for a close relative, but for a stranger who I don't even know for a project that I have no vested interest in ? My heart isn't that big.

Maybe your Father, who you say has all these skills, can help ? He may think that this is a great bonding experience.

And don't expect any help from your pretty hot wife.
Gotta love them, but my experience has been that she will think that she's just there as a cheerleader while your job is to act "man like"

Last edited by NickofDiamonds; 11-27-2015 at 08:19 AM..

Old 11-27-2015, 09:19 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Do the plumbing work you are comfortable with and find easy to tackle, things that might be more challenging and above your level of ability contract out to someone who knows how to do. There are little tricks to the every trade that most people don’t know – but can learn without any trouble. I’ve had a plumber come to fix a couple of things that I thought would be more tricky and difficult for me to do myself. It saved me time and trouble by getting him out here. I did a lot of the other work that I could deal with and managed to save money and learned from the experience, it develops self-pride in seeing the job when completed. There are lots of DIY books and videos on YouTube so take advantage of them before starting and check on then when needed throughout the project. A wise man doesn’t know everything but knows where to find the answer whether in the book, Youtube, or asking someone who knows.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:45 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Is it going to drain out on the floor?

Most people can figure out supply lines, but most plumbing complaints are because of waste lines. S doesn't always flow downhill if you haven't plumbed your waste lines properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House