Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 01:56 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
To each his own.

My husband and I are both sentimental. We enjoy buying unique items when we travel, and we enjoy the tangible reminder of those trips together and through our lives. For instance, I lived in Japan as a little girl. When I see the framed beautiful silk tapestry that my dad bought when I was small, that I've seen hanging in every home I've lived in since I was five, I smile. It brings back a flood of memories. Sure they're always there, but I like the reminder hanging in my house. It reminds me of my childhood, my parents, our happy adventures together.

Same with the little wooden box and the set of antique keys (to nothing that I own) sitting on top of the armoire from the 1700s that I brought back home from Germany. And the porcelain sheep that I bought in Yorkshire - in memory of the moors filled with sheep that were such an integral part of that landscape.

I don't care if other people don't like these items, or think they're junk, or just wouldn't have them in their house. It's my house. I like these things. They make me smile. They bring back precious memories.

I'm not standing in judgment of people who don't like knick knacks or tangible items with memories attached. It honestly doesn't occur to me to judge them for that. And I'd like for them to return that favor.

OMG, don't even start with the little "wooden boxes" or any little boxes, we too have a collection of them from all over. The last one we just got was from a tenant in our building that we helped her lug all her luggage down 3 flights of stairs, so she brought us back a beautiful blue mirrored box in side a box inside a box from India....I have it on the table near the window when the sun shines in a certain way, it make orbes all over...............................k :
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 07:48 PM

698 posts, read 2,841,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
By "chucking" I hope you mean selling or donating? Goodwill may only get a buck for them but that's still better than in a landfill.
I actually drove away without donating what I had brought to our local Goodwill because the guy in receiving looked about to cry as he said, "No more room at the Inn!" And behind him loomed a 12 foot high pile of donations!

I'll bring my things back after the new year.

I guess our recycling minded townspeople are very good at donating!

Old 12-03-2015, 09:58 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
heres another one of my decluttering things I am going to be doing this January.

I'm going thru all my music CD's, and what ever I haven't listened to within this past year I am chucking.

I have all the stuff on my computer anyway so I don't need the actual CD's. I have the certain sets that I do listen to and the rest are there collecting dust, so this is my next project.
We-ll, ........

if all those songs are on your computer by other legal purchases, okay; if they are on there because they were copied from the CD's now being chucked.....................

..........................I hope that your definition of "Fair Use" protects you to the end of days.

My definition of "Fair Use" (in the latter situation of above) is that there has to be in day to day situation (don't have answer for in case of disaster such as fire) a properly bought source that working copies (ie, such as that stored on computer) are derived from. (let's not get into the fine legal back and forth in this, the house, forum)

De Clutter wise, either A or B. A: Take all the CD's that are no longer listened to and box them up for storage. B: Ditch them if there are copies and hope one's definition of "Fair Use" lasts them to the end of days.

Old 12-03-2015, 10:40 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Copying CDs onto a computer for personal use has nothing to do with fair use. And per RIAA, it's legal, proably, as long as it's for private, noncommercial use and the person isn't sharing the materials in any way. You may not want to get into legal back and forth but that doesn't mean you should throw around legal terms like fair use when it's not being accurately used.

Old 12-03-2015, 10:45 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Copying CDs onto a computer for personal use has nothing to do with fair use. And per RIAA, it's legal, proably, as long as it's for private, noncommercial use and the person isn't sharing the materials in any way. You may not want to get into legal back and forth but that doesn't mean you should throw around legal terms like fair use when it's not being accurately used.
Well, per your statement above, that is not quite what is on the table.

What I was saying was the copying of the CD and then getting rid of the original.

As far as "Fair Use" goes, I go by what the software companies told me years ago. That I could make working copies but if I got rid of the originals, everything had to go to include the manuals and the working copies.

So, as I said, if one is going to go that route, I hope their definition of "Fair Use" protects them to the end of their days.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
We-ll, ........

if all those songs are on your computer by other legal purchases, okay; if they are on there because they were copied from the CD's now being chucked.....................

..........................I hope that your definition of "Fair Use" protects you to the end of days.

My definition of "Fair Use" (in the latter situation of above) is that there has to be in day to day situation (don't have answer for in case of disaster such as fire) a properly bought source that working copies (ie, such as that stored on computer) are derived from. (let's not get into the fine legal back and forth in this, the house, forum)

De Clutter wise, either A or B. A: Take all the CD's that are no longer listened to and box them up for storage. B: Ditch them if there are copies and hope one's definition of "Fair Use" lasts them to the end of days.

??????????????????????????????
This is way too much for me to comprehend...i dont even get this?????

any CD that I haven't listened to within this last year, I am chucking in the garbage. period and end of it.

Last edited by nightcrawler; 12-04-2015 at 07:25 AM..

Old 12-04-2015, 09:05 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, per your statement above, that is not quite what is on the table.

What I was saying was the copying of the CD and then getting rid of the original.

As far as "Fair Use" goes, I go by what the software companies told me years ago. That I could make working copies but if I got rid of the originals, everything had to go to include the manuals and the working copies.

So, as I said, if one is going to go that route, I hope their definition of "Fair Use" protects them to the end of their days.
And again, this is not what Fair Use is.

Fair Use is a specific legal doctrine that has to do with copying or excerpting from copyrighted material without obtaining permission from the copyright owner and having a "transformative use" - meaning you have to do something with it, not just copy it. The typical use is for a critique or review - so in a book review, you can quote a couple of passages. Or for parody or satire - think Weird Al (although my understanding is that he always got permission first anyway). There are some limited educational use exceptions as well.

Making a copy of something that you legitimately purchased in the first place for your own personal use isn't "fair use" and you don't just get to make up a definition when you are using a legal term.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:17 AM

I'm sorry I brought it up, Yikes!, all I wanted to do was throw out CD's that I don't listen too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House