Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 02:33 PM

22,285 posts, read 47,222,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
My garage is clutter free. I have never understood why people would park their cars outside instead of getting rid of unused or very rarely used stuff.
Same here.
Our vehicles are worth more than the junk most people store in their garage.

Both vehicles are inside the two car garage.
We have a basement, but we don't store stuff in it. We actually USE the space!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 05:08 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,939,443 times
The car is parked in the garage. Two extension ladders are stored on one wall. Two sets of shelving for my gardening stuff. One garbage can and one recycling can. Two snow shovels along with a mini garbage can filled with ice melt. Oh.. and a pushbroom for the patio.

The only thing......hiding...........could be a mouse........or maybe meece! Thankfully, it's detached!

Old 11-28-2015, 05:17 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,686,372 times
One of the things that I found unusual when house hunting down south was the number of homes that seem to use their garages as "man cave porches". Touring the neighborhoods I would see men sitting in garages chatting, playing cards, watching tv and barbequing. Some of these garages also had large screen garage doors. An interesting use of space.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:20 PM

10,045 posts, read 6,323,482 times
My garage is antique (built in 1927) and is full of antiques as well, overflow from when I had my antiques shop. I don't think a car has been parked inside since 1950 anyway, so I don't feel bad storing my things there until they're sold. There's a workbench area for restoration work as well. However, everything in the garage is neatly arranged and grouped together in "similar" groupings: bed rails, head and footboards, antique heaters, chairs, etc. I've got work ahead for quite awhile! And my van is right outside on the paved area so I can unload right into the garage - which is how I planned it!

Old 11-28-2015, 06:38 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,146,717 times
When I moved into my house twelve years ago, I thought that maybe I could rent out one side of my 2 1/2 car garage. Never happened. Never going to happen. I park my car in the right bay. The left bay is for: riding lawn mower, snowblower, rototiller, self-propelled lawn mower, yard sweeper, blowers, weed whacker, hand garden cart, garden tools (rakes, spades, hoes, etc), coolers, winter storage for yard art, metal or plastic containers for bird seed. The attached shed addition in the back holds a supply of lumber, lawn furniture, ladders, work bench.

The only things stored in my basement are furnace filters and paint.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
One of the things that I found unusual when house hunting down south was the number of homes that seem to use their garages as "man cave porches". Touring the neighborhoods I would see men sitting in garages chatting, playing cards, watching tv and barbequing. Some of these garages also had large screen garage doors. An interesting use of space.
That's sort of common in Upstate New York, too, especially in smaller, older homes without family rooms or finished/finishable basements.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:45 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,151,800 times
I keep my garage clean as I possibly can, besides a few scorpions here and there, I'm good! Next step is epoxy flooring and cabinets!

Old 11-28-2015, 06:51 PM
NCN

21,666 posts, read 25,512,746 times
I think we have had a car in our garage once. It is a one car garage and once inside we could not open the car door fully so out the car went and instead we park the riding mower and who knows what else. I don't go in there. It scares me.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:56 PM

590 posts, read 709,925 times
-tools for working on everything we own
-my dirt bike that has way too much money sunk into it
-both of our quads
-my welding machine and associated metal working tools
-8 tons of pellets for pellet stoves we have in house
-lots of kids toys
-x mas décorations
-2 freezers, one standup one deep
-Lots of Stihl tools
-our metal frame swimming pool thats obviously disassembled
-step ladders
-wood stove that keeps shop warm when were outside playing and need to warm up (quite convenient actually)
-lots of odd and ends type nuts and bolts that appear useless until you need them and then I thank myself for not tossing them.

I could go on forever.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I think we have had a car in our garage once. It is a one car garage and once inside we could not open the car door fully so out the car went and instead we park the riding mower and who knows what else. I don't go in there. It scares me.
Many older garages (built pre-1950s) tend to have small garage bays. My aunt originally had a three bay garage that was 22' feet wide with three sets of swing out doors and 2 poles between the bays supporting the roof. She replaced it with a 24' wide garage with 2 doors, which made it like "heaven". She lived on a corner and the garage faced the other street, so the driveway was short (about a car length) and wide. For parties, she parked the cars on the street across the driveway to block it and used the garage and driveway for entertaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House