Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 02:51 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times

Advertisements

Back in 2009 when I remodeled the kitchen at my previous house, I had granite countertops installed. I also got a new dishwasher, but the attachment to the counter (using brackets that came with the dishwasher) never worked well -- the dishwasher would always "lean forward" whenever I opened the door. It wasn't a huge deal to me, as when I closed the door, the dishwasher would "lean back." The dishwasher itself always worked for me and for the two sets of tenants who lived there since May 2012.

HOWEVER, my current tenants were having trouble with the dishwasher -- have to hit the "start" key a bunch of times before it would work. (Note, the dishwasher ITSELF works fine -- i.e., it cleans dishes the way it should.) I figured it was likely the crappy original brackets and likely some slight movement of the dishwasher over the past 6 years, so I bought this bracket: Amazon.com: Whirlpool W10426979 Dishwasher Undercounter Mounting Kit: Home Improvement . I do not know how to uninstall/install a dishwasher, and I didn't want my tenants to attempt it, so I hired a plumber -- according to the installation video, it should have been a 1-hour fix at the most. Well, his company charged me for TWO HOURS of his time, although he gave up and did not install the bracket -- said it didn't fit because the dishwasher was "too tall." (It's a standard-size dishwasher in a standard-size opening.) Needless to say I am frustrated beyond belief at paying $152 when he accomplished ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

I decided to try a different kind of bracket, which you can supposedly install WITHOUT completely taking out the dishwasher: Amazon.com: Granite Grabbers Dishwasher Mounting Brackets: Everything Else . I have not yet tried to install these yet.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions before I spend MORE money on this? I would appreciate any advice, and I am generous with reps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 05:31 AM

622 posts, read 1,782,868 times
They make brackets for attaching a dishwasher to the cabinets on the side of the dishwasher. Google your dishwasher make and see if they are available for your model.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmarin View Post
They make brackets for attaching a dishwasher to the cabinets on the side of the dishwasher. Google your dishwasher make and see if they are available for your model.

Belmarin, they are different from the 2 kinds of brackets I included in the OP?

The dishwasher is 6 years old. The brackets it came with have never worked great with the granite.

I will be at the rental house later this morning and will check on the make/model ...

Old 11-28-2015, 06:18 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
My dishwasher is not attached either, for the same reason. I did not know this sort of this existed. Thanks for the info, OP.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:48 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmarin View Post
Yep. We used cabinet brackets, which attach on the side. Sorry I can't give you a manufacturer and part number. Our appliance guy installed them.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:47 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
My dishwasher is affixed to the granite top using regular brackets attached to the metal thingies on top of the dishwasher for attaching to countertop. It's firmly in there and isn't going anywhere. No movement at all, top or bottom.

It's two separate brackets. I think they are epoxied to the countertop and each have one screw.

As for the height, it wouldn't fit in the space if it were too tall, right? Then, feet can be adjusted for height, or even cut off.

The only time my dishwasher moved was years ago, when I had it temporarily not attached at all, waiting for repairman to come back. Even then, I think it was lightly attached at the top, just not permanently. And the bottom moved, too, which it doesn't, now. So I think that piece at the bottom of the dishwasher keeps the bottom from moving.

You might want to get a repairman that particularly knows dishwasher installation...like Sears or whatever. They've seen it all. A regular plumber may not have experience with installing a dishwasher.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:18 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
The first one you posted is basically what I found a week ago. It has very good reviews and videos of the installation online. It seems very simple, so what couldn't he figure out??? It doesn't involve any plumbing so I wouldn't have hired a plumber at all. My dad is going to do it for me when I get it.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
The first one you posted is basically what I found a week ago. It has very good reviews and videos of the installation online. It seems very simple, so what couldn't he figure out??? It doesn't involve any plumbing so I wouldn't have hired a plumber at all. My dad is going to do it for me when I get it.
Right, no plumbing to install the bracket itself, BUT many reviews noted that installing that bracket works best BEFORE you have the dishwasher in (e.g. if you're remodeling and buying a new one to go in a new space). It's extremely hard to install the bracket with the dishwasher already there -- which is why the installation video goes through all the steps involved with uninstalling the dishwasher so you can pull it out completely, then install the bracket, then attach the dishwasher to it. I've never uninstalled a dishwasher before and didn't want to try this time, since it's a rental house and if I screwed it up my tenants could be without a dishwasher until I could get a plumber in.

(In my area Home Depot installs a lot of new appliances for free, but NOT dishwashers -- they are more complicated.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
My dishwasher is affixed to the granite top using regular brackets attached to the metal thingies on top of the dishwasher for attaching to countertop. It's firmly in there and isn't going anywhere. No movement at all, top or bottom.
How new is your dishwasher? Mine is from 2009. The brackets it came with simply do not work well for granite -- never did, from day 1. I don't think the brackets I mentioned in the OP were available back then, or if they were, my contractors had not heard of them.

Quote:
As for the height, it wouldn't fit in the space if it were too tall, right? Then, feet can be adjusted for height, or even cut off.
Exactly. Standard-size dishwasher in a standard-size space.

Quote:
You might want to get a repairman that particularly knows dishwasher installation...like Sears or whatever. They've seen it all. A regular plumber may not have experience with installing a dishwasher.
I called the best-known appliance guys in my town, and they had nothing called "dishwasher brackets" and no clue. Honestly, I think they just didn't want to be bothered. Unfortunately, no more Sears here.

We have not yet tried the "granite grabbers," which can be installed WITHOUT removing the dishwasher first. (I wish I had bought them to try first!!) The original plumber who installed the dishwasher in the house back in 2009 is coming to do some work at my (actual) house, and I am going to have him take a look at the rental house d/w too ... but not for more than 20 minutes.

Honestly, I'm amazed that this seems to be so difficult. Doesn't seem like it should be.

Anyway, thanks for the replies -- I will rep all that I can!

Old 12-01-2015, 03:48 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Right, no plumbing to install the bracket itself, BUT many reviews noted that installing that bracket works best BEFORE you have the dishwasher in (e.g. if you're remodeling and buying a new one to go in a new space). It's extremely hard to install the bracket with the dishwasher already there -- which is why the installation video goes through all the steps involved with uninstalling the dishwasher so you can pull it out completely, then install the bracket, then attach the dishwasher to it. I've never uninstalled a dishwasher before and didn't want to try this time, since it's a rental house and if I screwed it up my tenants could be without a dishwasher until I could get a plumber in.
Ah, I see. Both of the videos I watched showed people installing it with the dishwasher already in place and it seemed pretty easy, TBH. Maybe not AS easy but definitely not impossible. I'll buy it anyway but I'm sure my dad will inevitably dislike it and then tell me how he's going to install it his way.

This was one of the ones I watched:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dyYN03xJuo

Hope you get it worked out. Honestly, if you can't get someone to do both, I'd have the plumber install the DW and a handyman/contractor/whomever install the piece after the fact.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Ah, I see. Both of the videos I watched showed people installing it with the dishwasher already in place and it seemed pretty easy, TBH. Maybe not AS easy but definitely not impossible. I'll buy it anyway but I'm sure my dad will inevitably dislike it and then tell me how he's going to install it his way.

This was one of the ones I watched: [video removed ... you can see it above!]

Hope you get it worked out. Honestly, if you can't get someone to do both, I'd have the plumber install the DW and a handyman/contractor/whomever install the piece after the fact.
Wow, that video makes it look so easy! I watched the installation video on Home Depot's site (one of the reviews links to it, IIRC -- I think it's by the manufacturer) -- the video is much longer and more complicated -- it goes through all the steps of removing the dishwasher. A lot of the reviews I read (I THINK they were on Home Depot and amazon, but I was looking all over so it may have been other sites) stated that it was extremely difficult to install with the dishwasher in place -- they tried, but ending up having to remove the dishwasher to get the bracket to fit. They may have needed to lower the dishwasher slightly to get the bracket to fit, and I'm not sure you can do that without taking it out? Not sure.

I may actually end up buying a new (inexpensive) dishwasher for the rental house and having HD install it. They have a flat fee of $69 for installation of dishwashers, and I could make them stay until it is attached correctly to the granite!! I hate to spend the money, but OTOH, I also hate wasting literally a couple hundred dollars on installation ATTEMPTS if they're not even going to work.

Last edited by karen_in_nh_2012; 12-01-2015 at 05:03 AM.. Reason: remove video from quoted part
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House