U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 05:40 PM

174 posts, read 570,897 times

Advertisements

What's it like having them? I'm considering homes in the country and wondered how much of a hassle these are to live with.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2006, 05:46 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,657,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newt View Post
What's it like having them? I'm considering homes in the country and wondered how much of a hassle these are to live with.
They are no hassle whatsoever. Simply make sure you get a septic and well inspection to make sure everything is working fine when you select the home you want. I prefer having my own well...no water bill and the water is delicious. I prefer the septic too. If there are women in the house, make sure they know they can't flush feminine hygiene products down the loo and no one should use the toilets as garbage disposals. That's about it.

Old 11-17-2006, 05:54 PM

Do you worry about the well going bad/dry and having to drill a new one? Do you have to pump out the septic tank periodically? Sorry, I don't know anything about them... Gee, if they're not much of a hassle, that opens up some interesting home possibilities in the area I'm looking.

Old 11-17-2006, 05:58 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,044,903 times
Quote:
Do you worry about the well going bad/dry and having to drill a new one? Do you have to pump out the septic tank periodically? Sorry, I don't know anything about them... Gee, if they're not much of a hassle, that opens up some interesting home possibilities in the area I'm looking.
Concering septic tanks, professionals recommend pumping every two years, but if it's an older tank once a year. Putting good enzymes down there is a good idea at least once a month. Good care and maintenance will make a septic last a long time. We have one that's on its very last leg that has served my family for over 50 years!

Old 11-17-2006, 06:02 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,957,928 times
But do check out the water quality too! It's not uncommon to have too much iron (causing rust on everything and a nondesirable flavor) or even sulphur (rotten egg smell). Also, if you're close to the coast, you could even get salt in your fresh water. You may want to invest in a water purification system if needed. The local health department will probably do the water testing, or will provide you a referral. As far as septic tanks go, I much prefer that to paying humongous fees for sewer. Just don't flush the wrong things and no grease down the disposal.

Old 11-17-2006, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Nope, I don't worry about the well going dry. However, in the city of Springfield, because of a year long drought, the water briefly went below the induction pipes that feed the city from the water supply ( a lake to the northeast of town). It caused brief water rationing as the water had to be pumped by machinery from another lake and activate old city wells and the fees were passed on to the consumers. Plus, municipalities have no choice but to treat the water with chemicals to make sure it's safe and you drink all that crap, plus, some cities flouridate their water. During all these things, my well has worked fine and the water quality is excellent. I live on the Ozark Plateau north of Springfield, and the watershed underground flows slightly in a southward direction, meaning the intake pumps in the city come after I get my water. I get some mineral settlement at times, but nothing bad. I don't like soft water, so I keep mine hard and drink it. I've never had issues with either my well or septic (and the Septic is downhill from the house...smart geographic tip fyi).

Old 11-17-2006, 06:24 PM

Hey, thanks folks. I've been writing off some nice looking properties because they have septics and wells. May need to look closer at these possibilities.

Old 11-17-2006, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Hey, thanks folks. I've been writing off some nice looking properties because they have septics and wells. May need to look closer at these possibilities.
Any good home inspector you trust should be able to recommend a good septic and well inspector. And, when the well water is inspected, it's tested in a lab to make sure there are no harmful microbes, etc. If it's tested fine, you've got the benefit of drinking real healthy water and that goes a long way. Plus, no water or sewer bills adds up. You get healthier water and pay a lot less to live.

Old 11-17-2006, 06:41 PM

Ok. Good advice. Thanks again!

Old 11-17-2006, 10:26 PM

4,493 posts, read 7,241,537 times
More advice/info for water softner systems...www.clearwatersystems.com (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House