Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2015, 10:45 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,477,733 times

Advertisements

You can also have the breaker for the kitchen converted to GFCI instead of doing the outlets.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 11:00 PM

10,329 posts, read 7,911,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
You can also have the breaker for the kitchen converted to GFCI instead of doing the outlets.
That's true and it works just as well (although it's a bit more of a hassle to swap out a breaker box GFCI unit if it becomes faulty than it is to switch out the outlet version). Either one will save your life equally well!

Old 12-03-2015, 06:50 AM

15,736 posts, read 20,281,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
My house was built in 1942. GCFI didn't exist then. There's not a single GCFI in this house. At some point, we'll upgrade the electrical and have it corrected. We've lived here for 3 years without any issues.
Given it's built in 1942, and you haven't given any specs on the electrical system, i'd defer to an electrician to look at your wiring in person vs take advice from an internet forum where many are not electricians.

I've been in the electrical trade for 10 years and even I would be hesitant to suggest how you could install GFCI's without seeing the setup in person. I learned a long time ago to not make assumptions that everything is wired correctly or safely as people make changes over the years.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I learned a long time ago to not make assumptions that everything is wired correctly or safely as people make changes over the years.
That is a very fair point.

There's also an option to add GFCI protection to an individual outlet which involves no rewriting: plug-in GFCIs are available. You plug the GFCI unit into the outlet, and then plug the appliance/power-strip/etc. directly into the GFCI. Plug-in GFCI units come in two varieties: OSHA compliant, and non-OSHA compliant. The difference is that the OSHA compliant models (which are designed to be used on work sites with power tools) trip if the power goes out, and don't automatically reset when the power comes back on later; they stay off until someone manually resets them by pushing a button This is a safety feature on a work site, as it keeps power tools from turning back on automatically in the aftermath of a power failure, but is a hassle in more typical home uses. The non-OSHA compliant GFCIs don't trip if the power goes out, and so don't need to be manually reset when the power later comes back on. They are harder to find, and you usually won't find them for sale in the big box hardware stores, but online aquarium supply stores stock them. I used a plug in non-OSHA compliant GFCI plugin for years on my aquarium, which was on a room circuit that had no outlet or breaker box GFCI installed.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:38 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,885,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
Hey guys I am not sure if this is a warning sign for this house, but there is no GFCI outlets in the kitchen; but there are in the garage and other places around the house? Was told after the inspection. Now, how in the heck do I find out if I can just add a GFCI outlet, or if I need to hire an electrician to run an entire ground wire to the breaker box for safety?

Isnt it weird that the kitchen has no GFCI outlet?

Not at all.

The townhome I am buying doesn't have any GFCI in the house at all. Not in bathroom or kitchen. Inspector noted that yesterday. House was built in mid 1970's. Most of the outlet are not well connected. My guess is they are all back stab.

First thing I am doing once I acquire the house is to deal with the whole electrical.. Zinsco panel.. yuck..

Old 12-04-2015, 07:09 AM

924 posts, read 1,013,322 times
thanks for all of your replies!

I do have one more question! Also, it turned out all I have to do is add a GFCI outlet, not run an entire ground wire to the box since the house was built in 1983.

Anyhow, my question is, what about the stove, fridge, oven? I mean, should I ask the electrician to make sure they are fire proof? I do not know much about electricity, so that is why I am getting a professional. That, and it is my first home

Last thing I want is electrical issues

Old 12-04-2015, 07:25 AM

17,436 posts, read 65,697,376 times
Quote:
...my question is, what about the stove, fridge, oven? I mean, should I ask the electrician to make sure they are fire proof? I do not know much about electricity, so that is why I am getting a professional. That, and it is my first home

By all means; if it gives you peace of mind and you can sleep at night- why not?

Old 12-04-2015, 08:31 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,071,081 times
Default "Fireproof"???

Quote:

I do have one more question! Also, it turned out all I have to do is add a GFCI outlet, not run an entire ground wire to the box since the house was built in 1983.

Anyhow, my question is, what about the stove, fridge, oven? I mean, should I ask the electrician to make sure they are fire proof? I do not know much about electricity, so that is why I am getting a professional. That, and it is my first home

While I can understand having questions because this is your first home, perhaps you need a little perspective. Ask a firefighter if they've ever had to battle a blaze in a home built in the 80s because of bad wiring. It just does not happen!

There were some homes built in the 60s with aluminum wire that had notoriously bad connections, but even then there is nothing magic about appliances like a fridge -- while it does account for quite a bit of electricity use as it runs frequently, it is rarely a source of anything unsafe. Frankly even electric ranges are generally very very safe.

The absence of a GFCI will NOT effect the safety of these appliance one bit -- any normal use of a fridge would not involve you standing in a pool of water or similar unsafe ground situation. In most homes built in the 80s the metal conduit itself is the ground conductor. If your home does not have conduit then there should be ground conductors in the cabling that hooks all the outlets and switches to the electrical panel. It is exceedingly unlikely that any home that was built as recently as the 80s by any one other than incompetent fools would need to have "ground wires run back to the panel"...

There is a real risk that if you ask very naive questions of an unscrupulous contractor they will give you the hard sell on unnecessary work -- "Oh my! Your flamshooter is the worst I've seen. I would not live in this house unless everything is re-wired. I can started right away if you give be a $1000 deposit..." RED FLAG ALERT!!!

Old 12-04-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Also, it turned out all I have to do is add a GFCI outlet, not run an entire ground wire to the box since the house was built in 1983.

Since you're not comfortable with rewiring an outlet (and may not know which outlet is the first one in the series), hire a licensed electrician to put a GFCI outlet in for you. Then stop worrying! There's no reason to think there's anything seriously wrong with the electrical wiring in your house. People have been using that kitchen since the 1980s without any issues.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:21 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,563,809 times
Quote:

If your house was built in 1983 the circuits will have ground wires. If they aren't in the box then someone unqualified was in there and cut the copper ground wire off. I've seen it a ton of times in my career people cutting the ground wire off because they think "it's extra" and it's not insulated so they think it doesn't serve a purpose. You also might have old BX style armored cable wiring that doesn't have a seperate ground wire it uses the armored jacket as a ground to ground the box the outlet or switch is in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House