Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,198 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about putting in a whole house water purification system and would like some input. We have well water; the well was dug before we bought the property. Our house is 4 1/2 years old. We are having problems with subtle stains after washing laundry. It started with whites coming out dingy and sometimes with subtle darker spots. Now, the spots are showing up on all the clothes after being washed. We have tried switching detergents, softners, etc. but the whites are still dingy and the clothes are still spotted. A home water test came up with alkalinity and pH being slightly elevated and everything else tested within normal. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 11:43 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane MB View Post
We are thinking about putting in a whole house water purification system and would like some input. We have well water; the well was dug before we bought the property. Our house is 4 1/2 years old. We are having problems with subtle stains after washing laundry. It started with whites coming out dingy and sometimes with subtle darker spots. Now, the spots are showing up on all the clothes after being washed. We have tried switching detergents, softners, etc. but the whites are still dingy and the clothes are still spotted. A home water test came up with alkalinity and pH being slightly elevated and everything else tested within normal. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Call a few local companies that deal in water treatment to come out and take a look.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,241 times
[quote=Robzherenow;2713581][mod note: moved from Dallas TX forum]

"I had a representative from a water filter company come over my house and test the water running through my kitchen faucet. He told me that the water from the local reservoir (Lake Lavon) in my area contains very high levels of chlorine.

His company offers a whole house water system for $6000. I didnt doubt his company's credibility or that the water running through my pipes is hard, but I decided to check online for some other options. "

If you have ever had a swimming pool or even ever swum in a swimming pool try to remember what that smelled like. And also what your skin smelled like afterwards.

If your house water had "swimming pool levels" of chlorine, there is no WAY you would not notice it yourself, starting from the first time you moved in and turned on the tap.

Salesmen will frequently say any old thing.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:00 PM

89 posts, read 387,471 times
I got a whole-house water filtration and softener system after I moved into my house. We are on well water and our water smelled terrible because of high levels of iron and sulfur. The chlorine is added to purify the water. The softener then strips out the chlorine and the minerals. I couldn't be happier and my water is now as good as (I think better) than the purified bottled water sold in the stores. Our system cost $3500 and has made a WORLD of difference when it comes to usable water and keeping the bathrooms/sinks/toilets clean. The company we went through actually manufactured their own system based on the best and most effective components of the systems on the market. Our system cost half of what Home Depot wanted for a water filtration & softener system for our place.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:58 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,571,571 times
What you need is a mixed bed water softener and a good RO system for your drinking water.

The mixed bed softener removes the hardness the chlorine and other organics. This supplies you with really great utility water. Now, because you really don't want to be drinking this water because of the salt in it you put in an RO system for all of your drinking and cooking needs.

Get a quote from Culligan and using that as a benchmark figure go from there. Not too many companies have a mixed bed softener so you might have to look a bit for one. I would never soften water without taking the chlorine and organics out. It just doesn't make any sence. There is nothing worse than taking a shower in "Bleach water". Lots of municipal water systems also supply water with a swampy smell and the mixed bed gets rid of that also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House