Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 05:45 PM

423 posts, read 609,529 times

Advertisements

I only seen mouse couple times, not pets. Once was in SF when I was teenager. The mouse somehow was on 2nd floor; didn't know they can go up stairs. The mouse is white, looks like a pet than a pest.

The other time was in New York subway. Rat was near the rails in train station. That was nasty looking. Black and brown, like what you see in movies.

In San Jose, I saw signs of mouse in the garage. They chew on cardboard boxes and leave droppings around. There was very small gap (3/4 to 1") under the side door to the garage. I suspect they squeeze thru that gap. I installed a metal threshold and no signs of mouse since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 12:20 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,041,725 times
A mousetrap baited with peanut butter works wonders.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:39 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
I've heard it said that if you see one mouse, there are another 20 you didn't see. I hope that's not the case.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:25 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I've heard it said that if you see one mouse, there are another 20 you didn't see. I hope that's not the case.
That's roaches.

Mice this time of year are looking for warmth. I had a couple come climbing up my pipes into my house because the dang construction people didn't seal the holes up good. A little steel wool and some expanding foam took care of them getting in.. Then one decided to sleep on top of the capacitor in my A/C unit. These are your small field mice i'm talking about. I'm way out in the country and with the snakes basically hibernating, the field mice repopulate.

Many years ago.. I was working at a Dairy Queen.. We'd take the trash out at night.. A mouse came running inside when we opened the door. It was like some kind of keystone cops routine with us trying to catch the damn thing.

Agree with everyone else.. It's not a cleanliness issue.

Glue boards with peanut butter along the walls take care of them, and you don't really have to see or deal with the nasty old 'snap' traps which are just as likely to take your finger as a mouse. there's even some 'humane' options if you so choose.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:26 PM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
You heard that wrong...

Old 12-14-2015, 09:37 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,798,197 times
I would rather have the mice then the giant house spiders that show up from September to the end of October. And yes the word "giant" is in their official description.

Old 12-15-2015, 01:04 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,308,287 times
If you or your close neighbors don't have any little "hunters" the best thing to get are bait "traps" they are little containers of poison the little guys take back to their family and share.

Many times the critters are doing nothing but looking for a warm place to spend the winter.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:36 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
In our last house we had a mouse issue twice. Once our cats caught the mouse and all was good. The second time we had a bigger problem and I put out snap traps I bought from Lowe's and baited them with peanut butter. These were not the old kind but a newer design - they were white with red trim if you want to look for them.

I set a dozen traps. They were getting into the house through the attic. I put half the traps in the attic and half in the room where the attic door was. Within 30 minutes I had caught 2 mice. In a week we got several more, then none. I changed the locations of the traps a few times to be sure. I left the traps all winter and had one or two others eventually. It was a cheap and effective way to get rid of them.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:05 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
I agree that one mouse is not an infestation. And seeing 1 mouse doesn't mean 20 more are in hiding - that's roaches and spiders.

We had an issue with mice a few years ago when our old neighbors put their house up for sale. They were borderline hoarders (no one knew because it hadn't spilled out into the yard yet), and once they started packing up their stuff, their household pests got spooked and left - and came to our house. But we had four cats, so that didn't last long. That, and the exterminator came and did his thing as well. We now keep poison all around the perimeter of our garage - the kind the mice take back to feed their family. We've not had an issue with mice since then.

In our NoNJ house many years ago we had mice that came into the garage every winter, and they'd make their way to our unfinished basement. However, they did not realize that our cats lurked in the basement all the time, and so that worked out well for us as well.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:00 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
With 3 cats, you wouldn't think that mice would DARE come into my house. But, they do. The past 2 years (around October or so) the mice start to come in. The house was abandoned for 2 years before we moved in so I'm sure the mice thought this was the perfect place to winter. But, each year, we only found about 2 or so (or should I say the cats found only about 2 or so).

One non-toxic way of getting rid of them is put peppermint oil on a cotton ball and place near where you think the mice are coming in. They don't like peppermint. However, 2 things to take into consideration when using this method; 1. if you place it close to where they get in and they are already in, they won't be able to leave by the way they came in, & 2. if you do have cats, peppermint can be toxic to cats. Our cats acted like they were on catnip with the peppermint oil.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House