Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 11:59 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,926,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk3supraholic View Post
Do glass. All the people questioning your decision are snobs who think its tacky and "hood" to have a BB hoop on your garage. Do what you want I wish i had a garage like that to mount one. If you enjoy playing then thats all that matters. the only downside to a garage mount is not having any room under the goal, making center drive layups and dunks almost impossible without smacking into the garage. It also makes defending easier as you cant be pushed out of play by a strong center only squashed lol.
yeah, to me a pole mount looks tackier than a garage mount. It's permanently in the way. The $1300 adjustable I see kinda solves the problem of being too close to the wall - it comes out 3 feet from the wall. Here is a pic...
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone have experience with end basketball backboards (garage mount)-image.jpeg  

Last edited by eddiehaskell; 12-07-2015 at 12:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 12:11 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,926,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
A permanent pole mount is the way to go --

The reason you should avoid something that mounts to the building is because of the high potential for damage to the structure.

The price of quality wall mounts is very close to that of quality permanent pole mounts --

https://www.basketballhoopsunlimited...?idCategory=20 vs https://www.basketballhoopsunlimited...?idproduct=173
If the backboard is secured correctly how would there be damage? The gable is vinyl siding and behind that plywood and 2x4s. Would it be that difficult to do some framing that will support 200lbs? Once the steel is anchored you could just silicone around the bolt holes so no water gets behind the siding, right? If I ever wanted to take it down, it would just be a matter of replacing a few strips of vinyl...probably no harder than taking out a cement base for a pole mount. But you are right, a backboard alone is about as expensive as the whole system. The cheapest hight adjustable backboard I see is $1300. A non adjustable is $600 but it only comes out 7.5" from the wall. That would be cramped under the basket unless the garage doors are open.

Last edited by eddiehaskell; 12-07-2015 at 12:19 PM..

Old 12-07-2015, 12:42 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,518,461 times
I hope the windows above the hoop are strong. ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House