Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2015, 10:04 AM

146 posts, read 449,247 times

Advertisements

I noticed that suburban tract homes tend to have the front windows be those kind of windows that have white/black panes in them - but looking at those houses on Zillow, the back/sides of the houses have windows that are blank (as in, no panes inside).

This post will have two photos as an example. One is the front of the house, with windows that obviously have 'panes' in them, and another of a room inside that same house with no 'panes' inside the window, for a room that is facing either the side or back of the house.

I grew up in a house that have all windows be the same - panes inside the windows. So, what gives with the inconsistent designs of the windows in many houses?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Why are window designs inconsistent in houses?-fullsizerender.jpg   Why are window designs inconsistent in houses?-fullsizerender-1-.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 10:14 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
No clue. The windows in my house are consistent, with the exception of the slider to the backyard, which is undivided. I suppose the issue could be cost. That was probably the case for the interior doors in my house. Downstairs are solid-core Colonial style doors while upstairs are hollow-core flat doors.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:35 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
I think it comes down to developers and what they can get on sale at the time the plans are developed. My current house (2006) has windows that are all the same style and construction.

I also had an 80s home and there were no two windows the same size. I swear they just put in whatever they had left over in some warehouse.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:56 AM

1,261 posts, read 949,869 times
I believe it is a cost issue. It is slightly more expensive for the windows with grilles. In the same way, many suburban homes will have some brick or stone detailing (and sometimes even a full facade) in the front of the house, but none on the sides or back.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:01 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Cost. Lots of people (when they remodel) do nice fronts, and don't really care about the back. When money is tight, they will only do what is visible from the curb.
Most builders do the same - when you look at the houses, you will notice that the front is almost always finished much nicer than the back. It's called a curb "appearance"

Old 12-07-2015, 11:58 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,487,651 times
Just FYI, the bars that divide a single pane of glass into smaller rectangles are called muntins.

In most new windows, they are fake, so I'd rather they weren't there at all.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:14 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Pure and simple - curb appeal. The general public only sees the front of the house, so the less-decorative (and therefore less expensive) windows are used on the back and sides, while the front is "dressed up" with fancier windows.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:38 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
It's both cost AND appeal-

Developers will set standards/covenents for builders to follow; like windows with grilles/mutins/divided lites- whatever you want to call them. But the standard usually covers the front only (and sides if house is on a corner).

So, consequently builders won't bother with "divided" windows for the rest of the house- saving a few dollars for other amenities.

The other thing- the interior window pic was of a slider window- window manufacturers usually don't do "divided sliders"- it would just look a little weird!

Old 12-07-2015, 01:49 PM

146 posts, read 449,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The other thing- the interior window pic was of a slider window- window manufacturers usually don't do "divided sliders"- it would just look a little weird!
Really? I'm a bit unclear in what you mean; I've seen plenty of slider windows with mutins/griddles in them. Is this what you were referring to? link: Lori Gilder

Old 12-07-2015, 01:51 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Well, I have an idea. The front muntins look great from the outside, while the open sash for the back gives a clear unobstructed view of the back yard. Nobody cares much about looking out the front windows, they are mostly for light, and new houses do not always have a beautiful landscape or view to the front anyway, whereas the back yard may have gardens or children to watch over, and the back windows are larger because there is less of a privacy issue. Thus the front is for curb appeal from the street while the back if for the owners to enjoy from the indoor vantage point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House