Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2015, 06:20 PM

153 posts, read 278,174 times

Advertisements

House was built in late 70's. Originally looks like it was a wood fireplace, as there is an ash pit...When we bought the house it had an old rusty gas fireplace. We pulled the gas fireplace out and had it inspected by a chimney service.

Chimney service found that it has a metal firebox that is rusted out, therefor no open fire can be had due to it being rusted out and damaged...We have also noticed that during large storm events when it rains the fireplace will drip, slow drip nothing crazy. Now we know why it rusted out. Just had the roof re-done and chimney service said the flashing was in excellent condition, crown was in excellent condition, and the mortar and brick of the chimney was in excellent condition. Chimney service estimates that water is coming from seepage, and needs to be sealed in the summer time. Chimney service also noted that the metal firebox cannot be replaced without rebuilding the entire chimney?!?!

Would like to get a second opinion from someone who has experience here, as all the chimney folks in my area cost a minimum of $200 just to come look at it.

So,
  1. Does replacement of a metal firebox mean a total rebuild of chimney?
  2. Does water seepage from the porous brick sound like a realistic cause of water dripping/damage given everything else is in great condition?

Last thing I want to do is install a new $4k wood stove only to have it rust out in a couple years....

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 06:58 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
By "your" description-

Yes, the whole thing is coming down in order to replace. But I've never seen a fireplace "built" that way.

If its a regular prefab fireplace (year house was built?), there could be a framed chimney. Then the brick veneer is applied. If that's the case, the entire thing doesn't have to come down- it can be replaced from the inside.

Even if you have brick on the interior (surround/hearth)- its easier/less expensive to that that the whole chimney on the exterior.

The only way I could give a complete answer would be an actual physical inspection.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:19 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,655,631 times
Simple........Get a second opinion. Maybe he is right, maybe not.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:32 AM

House was built in late 70's (1977-1980) is my guess. The brick runs from the foundation under the crawl space up through the attic, outside, inside. Brick is inside and out, everything is brick, that's the best way I can describe it, but I have no idea how these things are constructed...

As I stated in the O.P. a second opinion is $200. So, I'd like to see what others might have to say on here before going that route, hence the post...I'm in no rush as I can't really do anything until summer when it drys up around here...

Thank you for the input thus far K'ledgeBldr

Old 12-09-2015, 09:42 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,099 times
Some photos would be nice if that is possible. My thought is; Why not put a fireplace insert in there after the leaks are found, and fixed.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/sea...y-saAvv_8P8HAQ

Old 12-09-2015, 11:04 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
If you want a wood stove, you need a bonded, licensed installer of woodstoves to inspect it. That is the person who can tell you your options.

We had an old brick chimney left from an old removed coal furnace in the basement. Since the chimney was in excellent shape and was lined, the woodstove installer was able to install the wood stove in the basement and hook a short 3 wall pipe directly into it. We purchased the largest Blazeking with a glass door & are well pleased.

If your chimney & firebox can be made fire worthy, you can always have a woodstove installer put in a woodstove brand fireplace insert. They are much more efficient than a fireplace.

Our existing brick chimney was "lined"---which was the key thing, so it was safe and up to code.

Your other option is install a natural gas stove, which requires different & less expensive venting, in the the fireplace hearth.

Old 12-09-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
My thought is; Why not put a fireplace insert in there after the leaks are found, and fixed.
That is my plan, but I do not want to put it in until the cause of the leak is found, otherwise it will just rust out from the leak...

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
If you want a wood stove, you need a bonded, licensed installer of woodstoves to inspect it. That is the person who can tell you your options.
Per my O.P. we already did. They said if we want to have an open fire, we need to replace the rusted out metal fire box. Otherwise we are left with installing an insert of our choice.

I came on here to get advice on two things....

1. If the WHOLE chimney needs to be rebuilt to replace the metal firebox or if this can be done without rebuilding the whole thing. Obviously someone who has done this before will have to speak...which is what I am hoping for.
2. If sealing/waterprooing the chimney sounds like the right thing to do, given everything else seems stable. Again, looking for someone with experience related to this.

Just looking for a second opinion/ experience here, not advice on what to do next. The chimney guy already told me what needs to be done, just looking for reassurance/ experience.

Old 12-09-2015, 01:31 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
There are some things here that do not make any sense!

As others have pointed out, if this truly is a chimney that is made of masonry it is exceptionally rare to have a METAL firebox, metal fireboxes are nearly always mated with METAL flue pipes. The basic shape of these has not changed -- FMI Bungalow Model Wood Burning Fireplace - FastFireplaces.com

Typically there is a double wall metal flue, although some brands may be compatible with pre-enginnered modular masonry chimmeys -- http://fastfireplaces.com/literature...ey_Install.pdf

It would be very odd for someone to have the masonry type chimney and NOT utilize the all the pieces that would ensure it is weather-tight.

There are firms that sell "chimney liner kits" to address a leaky chimney, Easy Flex 316Ti | WoodlandDirect.com: Chimney Liners

The OP would still need to determine the specifics of how their entire chimney and flue are installed before attempting to make any repairs. Like anything that has a specialized range of knowledge, there are unscrupulous folks out there that will prey on folks fears. It is entirely possible that the OP has encountered somebody that very much will use made-up "bad news" to upsell repairs / replacement. I would seek out another opinion for a trust worthy source -- ideally there are neighbors / co-workers / relatives that have had a skilled firm regularly inspect / service their fireplace for many years. Such firms are unlikely to risk alienating a potential long term customer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House