Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 05:20 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,912,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
All free and clear pods

Perfectly measured. HE washer compatible. No dye, no scent.
OP asked for economical. Premeasured anything is the opposite, especially laundry and dishwashing detergent. The customer pays a premium for the convenience. In response to OP's question, I use Arm & Hammer, which has always been cheaper and does just as good a job as Tide, Cheer, and the other pricey brands. Also OP, you can use much less detergent than the label suggests. The label on the back recommends a larger amount than you really need because they want you to use more, thus buy more soap more often. A large part of what gets your clothes clean is the agitation action of the washer and just the water, not the detergent. I use 1/2 or a little less of the recommended amount of detergent in my loads, and they always come clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 06:24 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,792,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
If this ^^^ is all true then I am going out tomorrow to renew our Costco membership, LOL! I heard about the Grey Goose and Huggies years ago- matter of fact, I bought Kirkland diapers for both our kids all of the time- but what really gets me is the shampoo and the scotch. Unfortunately, we live in Texas and the Costco's out here only sell beer and wine. Can't tell you how shocked my DH was when we discovered that shortly after moving here. Poor guy was in shock

I bounce around (get it, BOUNCE?) from Kirkland to Arm & Hammer to ALL; whatever is on sale works for me.
Oh it's definitely true. It's no big secret, but its not something they are going to advertise either.
I design packaging graphics and get to do some private label work for major grocery store chains, costco/sams, and sometimes the opposite side where I do work for the major retail brand who is trying to get their product into one of these stores under that store's private label name.

What I'm not sure is if it ever changes. In other words, is Grey Goose supplying the vodka for ever and ever and ever? I guess there is no way to really know unless you end up noticing a difference.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:07 AM

50,178 posts, read 63,623,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
For those that don't know, and why you may be happy with Kirkland products, is that all those private label brands are just rebadged major retail brands.
Here's some info on Costco's Kirkland brand...

Costco’s Kirkland Signature Products

Shampoo is said to be made by Pureology
Super Premium ice cream is made by Humboldt Creamery
Tuna fish is made by Bumble Bee
Diapers are likely made by Huggies
Liquor: Jim Beam makes the bourbon, Grey Goose makes the vodka, and the Scotch is a Macallan 18

The detergent isn't listed but I wouldn't be surprised if it was Tide or similar.
Seriously? We don't have a Costco, but our all time favorite scotch is Macallan 18. I'll be hoping we get one soon.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:40 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I bought my first jug of Persil recently after seeing Consumer Reports' recommendation. It has an overpowering scent. Haven't checked to see if it comes unscented. If so, I'll happily stick with it. If not, I'll be going back to All Free & Clear.
Agreed - the smell of Persil (it comes in 2 scents) is overpowering and it really lingers. Back to Tide Free and Clear for me.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:42 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,775,153 times
The primary consideration for me in a laundry detergent is effectiveness, not cost per load so much. Here in Florida, where we tend to sweat a lot, I find that some detergents, even name brands, don't cut it. I have a big container of Gain with Fabreeze that is half used right now, and I replaced it with Tide liquid, because the Gain didn't seem to be getting my work clothes really clean.

But I plan on running to Costco for some Christmas stuff, so I will be getting the one I really like a lot over there.

Don

Old 12-10-2015, 09:54 AM

2,606 posts, read 2,698,124 times
In Laundry the premium brand always been: Tide Original, Cheer, Wisk and now Persil Tide and Persil are probably above cheer and wisk. For decades Tide dominated the market.

The Mid-Tier has been: Arm & Hammer, All, Purex if personally think mid-tier is good enough for me because our clothes don't really get super dirty.

the value brand are like XTRA, Sun don't waste your money on this value brand, they don't work

Old 12-10-2015, 10:11 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,296,770 times
Kirkland Ultraclean pods and Costco usually has a non-clip coupon almost every month. I also like their liquid fabric softener because it is not thick like some of the others.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:34 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,771,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Yep... just you! Especially as Costco cannot sell wine/beer in PA (archaic state store system).

Yeah, I always wonder what's up with that.

QVC often has sells wine samplers around the holidays, and they ship everywhere but PA.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:37 AM

22,420 posts, read 47,402,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Yeah, I always wonder what's up with that.
No mystery.
Booze is sold in a state-run stores, staffed with state employees.
No signs of the monopoly ending soon.

We cannot get wine at Trader's Joe's, or anything alcohol at Costco, etc...

Old 12-10-2015, 10:44 AM

3,484 posts, read 3,183,374 times
Tide can't be beat for cleaning but the perfume in it makes my skin crawl. So I use anything without perfume and add Oxyclean to it. Far as I'm concerned, since they took phosphate out of detergent, you absolutely need oxyclean, I don't care what you use. BTW, I use the pee stains in my "y" fronts as the litmus test. Only Oxyclean removes that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House