Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 07:41 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,381,478 times

Advertisements

I only use Bona, have since 2009 on a weekly basis... I'm not sure what you'd have to do to get "buildup" with Bona. Maybe if you FLOOD the floor with the stuff, but following the directions of a light mist, it cleans and refreshes areas that are dull and lifeless (our main entry) back to matching the rest of the floors.

Call some flooring professionals, the folks who do this for a living, and ask them what they recommend for cleaning wood flooring. I suspect you'll find that every last one of them recommends Bona. Of the half-dozen I've asked, none have replied otherwise and none with any hesitation.

But you're right, there is no consensus as everyone will do what they will and find reasons to poo-poo the rest. I've had floors that I spot-cleaned with a water/vinegar mix and it seemed to clean well enough, though the floors looked dry/dull/lifeless in those spots until I cleaned with Bona again a few times. But if the whole floor looks Uniform, maybe it looks good? Also, I have the most matte finish available... those wth a high-gloss finish might find Completely different results. Ditto on my floors are the natural oak, zero stain... anything dark tends to show a LOT more imperfections and cleaning issues (ever tried to keep a black car looking good? Hours and hours of work vs a light silver or tan color car).

Try a bunch of different things and see what works best for you in terms of labor/time/cost and your specific floors. So long as you don't let anything wet stand on the wood for over 10~15 minutes you're not going to see any damage. If you want to try Bona, send them an email asking for a coupon (I've done this several times), the last one I got was an image I could print off and was good for about 8 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 08:13 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,962,709 times
Wash wood floors?

I've never taken any kind of mop to a wood floor. I've used a damp sponge and paper towels to clean up a spill, but other than that it's always been a vacuum with brush attachment.

In my neck of the woods........it's primarily old growth oak hardwoods with satin finish. I have a mix in my current house.....white oak and chestnut. Both over 100 years old.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:08 AM

14,225 posts, read 14,642,943 times
I use Bona spray and their washable micropad. I use Swiffer for my vinyl floors and have been meaning to try their Swiffer for wood floors.

Old 12-20-2015, 01:32 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,913,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post

Bona.

You can get a Swiffer Wet Jet type mop with washable microfiber pads -- Rubbermaid has one, Bona has one. You spray the floor and wipe up the grime. Pull off the pad and toss it in the wash. Replace with aclean one and keep going.
Yes, thanks for bringing up Bona. Years ago when we had maple hardwood floors refinished professionally, the guy said to only use Bona and so we did. The floors were original to the 1920s Craftsman and were gorgeous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House