Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 09:59 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times

Advertisements

We are looking to replace our garage doors. Normally I go with neighbor recommendations but I really have found most to be cheap looking Home Depot doors that I am not impressed with.

There are so many choices. So far we have looked at Overhead Door, Amarr (Lowes), Sears, and Clopay (Home Depot). I am finding that there can be a wide range of options, quality and prices.

So far I have determined that we want a carrige house style with arched windows. The doors need to be insulated steel with steel interior. We need new openers and want belt driven. I am not seeing much information given on the quality of the hardware. Sears says that they only use heavy duty rollers and tracks and claim the home Depot does not. I like the look of doors with three sections rather then four for the look. Is there any advantages/disadvantages to three section doors? Any information or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 05:37 PM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
We are looking to replace our garage doors.

There are so many choices. So far we have looked at Overhead Door...
Like with HVAC equipment... the installation company is the real question.
Styles and options are almost universally available.

In the absence of a specific recommendation for a local company...
it's hard to wrong with the Overhead Door franchisee.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:32 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
I have known several other builders that depend on OHD for their doors, but I've never been impressed with the quality of the door (some ghost manufacturer that puts no name on them).

I have used Amarr for many years- extremely happy with their quality, warranty, and selection.
I've been to several builder shows and have had the opportunity to compare and speak with sales, manufacturing, and marketing people with most manufacturers. Amarr, I felt had the better door when all things were considered.
Doors and accessories are one thing- getting the right company that can do a quality install and stand behind their work is another. I'm a firm believer in finding that local company that you can create a relationship with paramount. Oh course, most H/O's will buy maybe two garage doors in their lifetime; but...
Franchises, especially thoses that provide home improvement services tend to be more marketing and close then long term service.
For a suggestion:
Wood & Wood Overhead Garage Doors

Old 04-14-2012, 10:11 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
We went with Wayne Dalton when we replaced ours in 2010, which is the other half of Overhead Door. We're happy with our purchase and it seems to be very sturdy, though I'll note that we went with a windload model for insurance purposes down here. So I can't speak for their products not designed for hurricane-prone areas.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:35 AM

Rhanks for the replies. Anyone else have a suggestion. Jay

Old 04-22-2012, 01:29 PM

beachmouse - I want to thank you for the suggestion. I checked out the Wayne Dalton website which lead me to a local installer.

We were ready to sign with Sears but then they came back and said they made a math error and had to up the price by $600 (they quoted me the price on the wrong windows). I said no way, That would have pushed us way over our budget. So we were back to square one.

The local guy came out and we talked about the Wayne Dayton doors but I noted that I liked a three panel door better. He pulled out the Ammar catelog and gave me a quote that was $1,400 less then the comparable door from Sears. I still can't believe it. The guy said the other quotes gave us the retail price of the door while they pay a wholesale price and then they add on labor. They are making $700 per door doing that. This guy just charges the retail price as the installed price. The doors are on order and hopefully will be installed in a month. I will let you know how it goes. It really does pay to shop around. Jay

Old 07-10-2012, 02:07 PM

6 posts, read 26,183 times
JayCT- how do the doors look??? We're getting our house painted right now & are looking to replace our garage doors ASAP. We're in the same neighborhood so I would love to use your guy if you're happy with how they turned out. Can you let me know? Thanks so much!!

Old 07-17-2012, 04:23 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,391 times
I went with Wayne Dalton, great company installed them, came back every six months to check them, lube, and installed a great belt driven opener...really quiet....

Old 07-21-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfromct View Post
JayCT- how do the doors look??? We're getting our house painted right now & are looking to replace our garage doors ASAP. We're in the same neighborhood so I would love to use your guy if you're happy with how they turned out. Can you let me know? Thanks so much!!
Sorry I missed this. I hope it is not too late. We used Eagle Door out of Manchester and they turned out great. We are very pleased. It took a day to replace. They look and work wonderfully. I highly recommend them. Jay

Old 10-10-2013, 04:45 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,597,080 times
I am looking into getting new garage doors too. This was the only thread I could find regarding this topic.

I hadn't ever heard of Amarr before today but a local dealer recommended it over Wayne Dalton's 9100 series--which is what I thought I wanted. The local Wayne Dalton dealer stated it's the door he's called to repair most often in my area. So maybe I don't want that 9100 series door. I chose it because of the polyurethane insulation...which is supposed to be a better insulator than polystyrene. But durability is higher on my list than insulation.

I want a polyurethane insulated, ranch style, steel door. Haven't decided on window style, operator or hardware (if any) yet. I have 2, north facing 7x8 ft garage doors. I'm replacing 30+ year old, wood, non insulated, sad doors.

Supposed to get one of my garage doors repaired tomorrow & talk with a salesman about my replacement options. He suggested Northwest Door or Amarr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House