Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 01:00 AM

61,251 posts, read 86,144,940 times

Advertisements

Most of you use expensive and sophisticated gadgets, but the BEST EVER coffee is made in a simple and cheap aeropress coffee maker. This thing brews coffee under ideal conditions: proper temperature, total immersion, and rapid filtering. Surely not a show piece, but produces amazingly delicious coffee with a wide range of beautiful flavors but without bitterness and with very low acidity. Take the time to read about it, if you want to treat yourself and your guests with an absolutely best cup of coffee they tasted in their entire life.

I usually don't drink coffee, but I have this little press always ready to impress my guests...
Spoiler

http://coffeegeek.com/resources/noteworthy/aerobie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 06:28 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,876,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I have a K-Cup and this am I made a large cup (I have 3 choices) and it filled my 16 oz cup to the tippy tippy top...and surprised it didn't run over. Lately, it is making a lot less than the amount it is suppose to make. I don't know if I should get another K-cup. This isn't the first time it has happened. Just wondering if anyone else had this issue and what kind of coffee maker do you have~?
Don't get another K-cup just yet. there may be an easy solution. Keurigs are notorious for this; it's called short cupping. Sometimes this problem can be solved by descaling it. That's a common problem if you have hard water. Theoretically you're supposed to use only filtered water with your Keurig, but few owners do that. There are lots of videos on YouTube on how to descale your machine. As for which coffee pot I own, I have a plain old drip coffee maker, and my wife has a Keurig.

I find the Keurig an expensive PITA which makes medicore coffee at best but she's addicted to that thing. My drip coffee maker offers me much more flexibility at a fraction of a price but I'm a diehard coffee afficionado. I have a grinder and have owned cappuccino machines, perks, and other coffee trinkets, and I'm hoping to get a burr grinder to grind my whole bean gourmet coffee I bought from Mexico a month ago. I vacuum sealed it to keep it fresh. I also want to try the French Press but I'm not sure how it works.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:35 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,315,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I'm reading the reviews on this new coffee maker I bought and ALL are negative~! I hope I don't have those issues in the morning as people are talking about~!
It's not the relative of the one I posted above that's a two-way brewer, is it?

Because the Hamilton Beach one I bought had awesome reviews if it used regular coffee/pods but really crappy reviews if it used regular coffee/k-cups. And it was mostly because the k-cup side stopped working. So I went with the coffee/pod duo.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:53 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,125,964 times
I have a Keureg, an espresso machine, a coffee ninja, and a french press.

Ninja - daily use.
espresso machine - weekends sometimes.
French press - almost never used unless the power is out.
Keureg - it's been relegated to only getting instant hot water for tea or the kids hot chocolate.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:53 AM

800 posts, read 1,289,822 times
i use this, one of a few certified from some coffee accredited thing. basically, its one of the best drip coffee machines available and its so simple to use my 20 month old daughter makes my coffee for me every morning. bonavita 1900ts

this is on my wish list though since i'm really an espresso fiend at heart- breville espresso maker

or racnilio silvia v3

Old 12-14-2015, 07:54 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,276,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Don't get another K-cup just yet. there may be an easy solution. Keurigs are notorious for this; it's called short cupping. Sometimes this problem can be solved by descaling it. That's a common problem if you have hard water. Theoretically you're supposed to use only filtered water with your Keurig, but few owners do that. There are lots of videos on YouTube on how to descale your machine. As for which coffee pot I own, I have a plain old drip coffee maker, and my wife has a Keurig.

I find the Keurig an expensive PITA which makes medicore coffee at best but she's addicted to that thing. My drip coffee maker offers me much more flexibility at a fraction of a price but I'm a diehard coffee afficionado. I have a grinder and have owned cappuccino machines, perks, and other coffee trinkets, and I'm hoping to get a burr grinder to grind my whole bean gourmet coffee I bought from Mexico a month ago. I vacuum sealed it to keep it fresh. I also want to try the French Press but I'm not sure how it works.
It's a glass pitcher into which you pour hot water plus the coffee and let steep. After a few minutes, you push a mesh plunger through the water to the bottom of the pitcher where it traps the grounds. The coffee can then be poured off.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:02 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,876,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It's a glass pitcher into which you pour hot water plus the coffee and let steep. After a few minutes, you push a mesh plunger through the water to the bottom of the pitcher where it traps the grounds. The coffee can then be poured off.
Thanks for the info. It's quite simple to operate, apparently; I just never investigated its operation. Maybe I'll put it on my Christmas wish list.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:05 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,276,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Thanks for the info. It's quite simple to operate, apparently; I just never investigated its operation. Maybe I'll put it on my Christmas wish list.
Very simple, and they make a great cup of coffee. They're also easy to clean. You can purchase a one-cup version, but I think the four-cup version is more useful.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:08 AM

19,349 posts, read 9,424,096 times
Have a Mr Coffee (10 cup) and a thermal container. It has a timer on it so that we can make it the night before. Gets mostly a Mon-Fri workout.

Also have a Keurig. Mr C wanted one. We have one of those replacement filters if we want to use our own coffee flavors in the bags and not the pods. We still get the pods though. Have not had any major issues with our Keurig - thus far. I'm guessing it's been in the house for a good 4 or 5 years, perhaps more.

Had a Tassimo at one time too - when it first came out. Ultimately gave/sold it to someone. A year or two ago got a smaller version of the Tassimo (after noticing some of the flavors when I was in Bed, Bath and Beyond) and have been meaning to bring it into the office.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:14 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,873,350 times
Automatic pourover. It's really solid.
https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/te...olished-silver

We also use a Nespresso (& starbucks syrup) for lattes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House