Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 09:23 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times

Advertisements

Went and did some research yesterday.

What I learned about Dyson is that the Original (yellow) is no different then the Animal (purple) other than the attachments (hard surface floor and furniture brush) that come with the Animal. You can buy the attachments, however it's cheaper to buy them already with the vacuum.

The second thing I learned is that you cannot replace the belt yourself! The belt and the little apparatus that it connects to costs $50.00 and then you add the shop's labor onto that which is a 2.5 hour job yikes

So, this domestic queen will not be buying Dyson!

Now, I was introduced to Lindhaus vacuums for the first time yesterday and I like what I saw so far, still need to research it more first. It has a gear driven belt and if something gets caught up in the suction that shouldn't be (fringes on rugs, etc.) it does an automatic shut off. Their belt is under warranty for life!

Having said all that, if anyone has changed their own Dyson belt, let me know. Also, if you have or have used a Lindhaus, how do you like it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2006, 09:45 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Consumer Reports rated Vacuums not long ago. Dyson did NOT stand out, were about mid-range, others did much better. If you aren't a subscriber to CR, your local public library will have it. Librarians rock!

My wife and I always bought Sears / Kenmoore vacs, as you can walk into any Sears store and get parts, even for a 25-year-old vacuum. You can order parts on-line with Sears and they'll UPS or USPS it to your home for a minor fee. Always SAVE their owner's manual, as it will have all the part numbers. No one else does this to my knowledge. Same goes for any power tool or appliance from Sears / Kenmoore, you can get parts for many many years and even take things in to their shop for repairs.

I'm not a stockholder or connected to Sears in any way, I'm just a very favorably impressed lifetime customer. You won't get this kind of service at any of the "marts" that are so popular.

As my wife says, the topic of vacuums REALLY sucks.

s/Mike

Old 11-18-2006, 10:56 AM

13 posts, read 150,996 times
I bought the yellow Dyson about a year ago. I spoke to the company because I thought my belt had broken. Come to find out, it was something else, which was easily remedied. duhhh. The customer service gal told me the belt was guaranteed for the life of the vacuum. So, I won't be worrying about it. I don't personally use it very often (have cleaning crew), but when I do, I find it easy to use and light. I would recommend it.

Old 11-18-2006, 11:00 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,629,829 times
I installed an Electrolux whole house system a few years back and while it's convienient it definetly dosen't (pardon my english) suck! Our portable one (Fanthom Thunder) works great!

Old 11-18-2006, 11:05 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,987,857 times
I have a Wide Path Hoover Fold Away bagless vacuum that I really like. I bought it at Target for I think $80 and it sucks the hell out of my carpets which with two cats....is necessary! I vacuum the carpeted areas once a week and have to empty the container at least three times because of all the cat hair it picks up. I had had a Bissel, and I really liked it at first, but then it broke down after about a year...just quit. I thought..well, everyone tells me the Bissel bagless is a great vacuum, so I thought maybe I got a lemon and went out and bought another. It did the same thing. No more Bissels. This vacuum by Hoover I really like, not too expensive and very, very powerful vacuuming. I know my carpet is as clean as it will get after I run it over the carpet.

Old 11-18-2006, 01:53 PM

892 posts, read 2,372,092 times
I also had a bissell that quit after just 1 year. But I would keep mine on for a hour to sooth my son when he was a baby so it's no wonder it fried. But at any rate I wasn't going to get the same brand. I ended up with a dirt devil which works great but I sometimes wonder if it is too powerful because I get a lot of carpet fuzz in the container. and my carpet is 3 years old and good quality.

Old 11-18-2006, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingfortheperfectplace View Post
I also had a bissell that quit after just 1 year. But I would keep mine on for a hour to sooth my son when he was a baby so it's no wonder it fried. But at any rate I wasn't going to get the same brand. I ended up with a dirt devil which works great but I sometimes wonder if it is too powerful because I get a lot of carpet fuzz in the container. and my carpet is 3 years old and good quality.
My carpets are new as of October of last year and had never been lived on until I bought the house. I had lots of carpet fiber/fuzz the first couple of months, but it's been sucked out now that which will come off. Isn't it amazing that the Bissell is so ...overrated?

Old 11-18-2006, 02:13 PM

892 posts, read 2,372,092 times
I did however get a bissell carpet cleaner recently and it kicks ass! hopefully it will still be kicking in a few years. I picked it because it had all the best features I was looking and it had great reviews. And I got it from costco and if it is junk they will take it back.

Old 11-18-2006, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingfortheperfectplace View Post
I did however get a bissell carpet cleaner recently and it kicks ass! hopefully it will still be kicking in a few years. I picked it because it had all the best features I was looking and it had great reviews. And I got it from costco and if it is junk they will take it back.
I have one of those too and it did work well. It has the light that goes from red to green depending on how fast I push it to let me know if I'm getting the deepest cleaning. I bought mine at Sam's Club

Old 11-18-2006, 02:59 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
Well, thank you al for replying. After researching online half the darn day, I think I am going to go with the Hoover Wind Tunnel 2.

I was preferring to go back to bags, but the original Wind Tunnel is bagged, but doesn't have the pet tool for the furniture, so I'm back to bagless.

Okay, now back to your regular scheduled program
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House