Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 01:17 AM

13,710 posts, read 7,987,762 times

Advertisements

I`m thinking about installing a new AC unit for a 1600 square foot home.

Something no frills and easy to maintain for a rental property.

Any suggestions on a brand and a cost estimate including installation?

Thanks

mod note: moved from Phoenix forum

Last edited by yellowbelle; 12-21-2015 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: added note re: moved from PHX forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 07:00 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times
Are you planning on purchasing the unit from a contractor and having them install it, or are you plan on buying the unit yourself and hiring someone to install it? For the latter, most manufacturers have a strict policy against that (notably Carrier, Trane, and Lennox) as far as warranty purposes go, with Goodman being the exception to the rule.

Also, for maximum efficiency, both the AC unit and the furnace/air handler should be replaced to have matching coils. Also, the phaseout of R-22 (the refrigerant in the green cylinders) will cause probelms if the entire system isn't replaced with an R-410A (pink cylinders) system.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:30 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,366,961 times
Other threads have noted that the higher-SEER units cost more and may not run as efficiently/easily as the lower-SEER units. It can take many years to recoup the higher cost of the unit through energy savings, but some people prefer a greener solution regardless.

In terms of brands, my understanding is that there are many nameplates that are all actually manufactured by the same people using the same components, so I wouldn't place too much emphasis on branding. For example, I thought I was getting offered some cheapo A/C because I hadn't heard of it, well it turned out it was the same manufacturer and warranty, etc., as some brands I was well familiar with.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:37 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,045,998 times
I agree with ScottsdaleMark. I'd go with the basic 13 or 14 SEER units (that's what I chose.) I went with Goodman. I trust their product, despite many who think their products are inferior.

The hard part is finding a quality installation contractor who doesn't want to gouge you.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I agree with ScottsdaleMark. I'd go with the basic 13 or 14 SEER units (that's what I chose.) I went with Goodman. I trust their product, despite many who think their products are inferior.

The hard part is finding a quality installation contractor who doesn't want to gouge you.
Note that for a 13 SEER system you have to act fast, since after June 30, 2016 you will no longer be able to purchase them in this state. Many HVAC companies have probably already depleted their stock of 13 SEER systems, so you may be stuck with 14 SEER. 14 SEER units are only made with R-410A refrigerant, so it will require a complete system replacement. Even if you are able to snag a 13 SEER system, it is still recommended to replace the entire system, otherwise you will end up with mismatched coils and your system will not reach its advertised efficiency.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:59 AM

Pink Jazz, I ended up buying one of the 13 SEER R22 units so I didn't have to change out my air handler coil. So far, so good.

I'm not a big fan of the R-410A refrigerant for various reasons. As long as R22 systems don't leak, there's no harm to the environment.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Pink Jazz, I ended up buying one of the 13 SEER R22 units so I didn't have to change out my air handler coil. So far, so good.

I'm not a big fan of the R-410A refrigerant for various reasons. As long as R22 systems don't leak, there's no harm to the environment.
You still have a mismatched system, and your system probably doesn't reach its advertised efficiency. Installing new condensers onto old coils is a tactic used by hacks to make a quick buck. The refrigerant type alone isn't the only factor in matching condensers to coils. Plus, R-22 will soon be phased out, and you will be out of luck if your system needs a recharge in the future.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
You still have a mismatched system, and your system probably doesn't reach its advertised efficiency. Installing new condensers onto old coils is a tactic used by hacks to make a quick buck. The refrigerant type alone isn't the only factor in matching condensers to coils. Plus, R-22 will soon be phased out, and you will be out of luck if your system needs a recharge in the future.
I know R22 will soon (or already has) been phased out. But since it can be recycled, it's not like it's going to "disappear".

My system may be mismatched since I didn't replace the indoor coil, but my system works great, so why fix "what ain't broken?"

BTW, some unqualified hack didn't install my R22 condenser onto my old air handler. I had a well known contractor with high ratings do the job.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
I know R22 will soon (or already has) been phased out. But since it can be recycled, it's not like it's going to "disappear".

My system may be mismatched since I didn't replace the indoor coil, but my system works great, so why fix "what ain't broken?"
You may not have initial problems, but down the road you may run into some serious problems. Once the coil fails, you will have to replace both the indoor coil and the condenser.

I just don't see why would anyone advise mismatching a new coil onto an old condenser. In fact, in Florida current codes prohibit the installation of mismatched systems.

Last edited by Pink Jazz; 12-15-2015 at 08:46 AM..

Old 12-15-2015, 10:11 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,052,538 times
A split system probably would not even work if it were "mismatched" in the sense that, for example, an air handler designed for R-22 were paired with an R-410A condenser. For starters, they operate at very different pressures.

Dry-charged R-22 condersers have been available, which is probably what Doug purchased to use with his old air handler. In this case one would have to buy the R-22 separately. This possibility is going away very soon, if not already.

The original poster has not mentioned if his is a split system or an integrated system in a single box. If the later, I doubt there is any choice (i.e., will have to go with R-410A).

We recently replaced our A/C units (split systems) with new R-410A systems. We had lost most of the R-22 due to leaks, and the cost of buying a large quantity of R-22 today is quite high.

We ended up choosing a small family outfit (east valley) that was recommended by a neighbor. This company offered a 10-year parts+labor warranty. I can send the name of the company if anyone wants... just send me a PM.

Edit: We opted for a 15 SEER system. The minimum that's being manufactured today is 14, but due to rebates from SRP and the manufacturer that apply to 15 SEER units there was very little cost difference, about 5% additional if I remember correctly.

Last edited by hikernut; 12-15-2015 at 10:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House