Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 05:22 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Quit letting junk mail pile up in there, the mail carrier shouldn't haven't to deal with trying to cram in a bunch of stuff because you are too lazy to go to your street box!
I don't know why you think it's lazy to get the mail once a week. I don't get mail everyday so checking it everyday would be a waste of my time. The mail lady and I actually talk once in a while and she is fine with my once a week habit. However, she was out for two weeks during the 3 I let it go so it was probably her sub. I haven't talked to her for a while but when I do, I will ask her about getting off the list. If I have to go to each company to opt out, I will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 05:22 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I am mainly talking about the bundle of newspaper like ads. Did those stop as well?
Anything that had the street address printed, even if addressed to 'Resident", no longer comes to my house.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:24 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Anything that had the street address printed, even if addressed to 'Resident", no longer comes to my house.
Thanks for the news! I will start the process immediately. I was really discouraged by that article.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:25 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
I haven't talked to her for a while but when I do, I will ask her about getting off the list.
You already said that in post #8, and in post #9 I told you the USPS cannot opt you out
"The USPS" includes your mail carrier....

Old 12-19-2015, 05:36 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times
There is a HUGE difference in how the postmasters (and the delivery postmen) treat the law about delivery. First of all, the companies who pay for this junk mail to be sent, have paid for a service and the postoffice has to deliver. So whenever you can, go to the 800 number on the back of the catalogue or whatever and call them to get off their list. You will have to do this periodically because things sneak back on when companies sell their lists to others.

I lived in one place (very small) where the postmistress told us they had to keep delivering the flyers to our box (in the post office) and they would cram them in as long as they could, which they did. We picked up our mail there about once every few months, and cram was the operative word all right. I lived in another place (also pretty small) where they told us they would quit delivering if we didn't pick up every three days (rural box) - but they actually didn't do that. This same town has a policy that if you didn't pick up mail from your rented box at the P.O. they would close the box.

I lived in another country where you could put a note in your box that you didn't want junk mail - that was heaven - but that was somewhere else in the world.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:57 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Quote:
I don't know why you think it's lazy to get the mail once a week. I don't get mail everyday so checking it everyday would be a waste of my time. The mail lady and I actually talk once in a while and she is fine with my once a week habit. However, she was out for two weeks during the 3 I let it go so it was probably her sub. I haven't talked to her for a while but when I do, I will ask her about getting off the list. If I have to go to each company to opt out, I will.
He/She stated TWO weeks.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:12 PM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
It would be nice if you could just go to the PO and say you don't want junk mail. But thanks for the link. If I can stop just half of it that would be nice.
See, the thing is this---What may be junk mail to you, might not be to someone else. How is the PO supposed to know what you consider to be junk mail?

When a friend of mine went on vacation, I offered to cat sit and bring in her mail. She told me not to throw out any of it, even if it looked like junk mail. I let her know that I would never assume that a piece of her mail was junk, thus I would never throw out any of her mail.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:54 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Our mailman said that the junk mail is the lifeline for the post office, it pays the bills, since regular postal service has declined in the past years. He says they also have to deliver it whether you want it or not since they are being paid to do it.
And getting your name removed won't help if your name is postal resident, or current resident, or occupant.

Old 12-20-2015, 01:09 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
Why not just let them stop delivery when they threaten to? They will probably accumulate your mail at the post office for a few weeks then return it to senders. Tell the senders you don't want snail mail. Snail mail is obsolete. People spend a significant fraction of their lives dealing with obsolete stuff. If something absolutely has to be physically delivered, instead of electronically, tell them to use FedEx.

If you need to receive bills, rethink them. There aren't many companies where you can't go to their website to find out how much you owe them. If you need to receive Christmas cards, ask yourself if the people who send you Christmas cards by surface mail instead of online are really your friends. If you need to receive lawsuit notices, have them delivered to your lawyer instead of to you. If you need to receive collection agency notices, see a psychiatrist.

And when people deliver unwanted junk to your driveway, such as unsolicited newspapers, leave them there and take pictures of them lying there, so you can prove in court the newspaper company was deliberately trying to mark your property as a good place to burglarize. Because they should recognize that if there are newspapers lying in your driveway, you don't want any more unsolicited ones, and that they're vandalizing your property by delivering them in that situation.

Old 12-20-2015, 07:01 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
If there is one thing I hope this thread teaches anybody, it is this: Never put in a permanent forwarding order when you move! There is such a thing as a "temporary" forward, and it can last as long as 6-7-8 months, whatever you think you'll need to change your addresses with whomever you get mail from.

The difference? When you put in the one-year permanent forward order, ALL your bulk business mailers ("junk mail" companies) are notified of the new address...so, they change it in their databases and POOF! All your junk mail follows you to your new address! With a temporary forward, nobody is notified of anything, which is why I wrote above, you'll need to change your own addresses to your correspondents.

As for flyers, they are not usually addressed to anybody, just "Resident CR 002 46205", and unless you can reason with the carrier, you're stuck...but those only come once a week.

I chose the only solution: a fee-based mail handling service in another state that destroys ALL our non-first class mail, and scans the first-class mail into an email, then destroys it. I can then decide to pay it, delete it, or print it out for legal or sentimental purposes. I get no physical mail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House