Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 06:05 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times

Advertisements

I have been wondering about this for awhile. Every house in our neighborhood is paying for locked, WiFi. Why couldn't a cluster of houses just share it and split the cost? I've never heard of this, but it seems silly for each of us to pay separately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 06:42 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,082,704 times
Wouldn't you be sharing the bandwidth? If so, there could be a hog among you who constantly is doing gaming or video streaming and it could slow things down for everyone.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:03 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,304,358 times
If your internet provider is your neighbor...

You might be a Redneck.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:08 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,587,384 times
If you had neighbors you trust and aren't maxing out the bandwidth why not?

I'd worry about both of those because you don't want to be the guy with the ISP bill in your name if your neighbor is downloading something illegal and because we sometimes overload the network with just our household's use.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:10 AM

244 posts, read 514,114 times
Ill point you to this Resource. Can My Neighbor and I Share an Internet Connection? | PCWorld

Some Highlights:

"What happens if the neighbor with the service is on vacation when a problem develops?"

"First of all, how well do you trust your neighbor? And their kids? They could download something illegal," (Whoever pays the bill bears the legal ramifications of anyone they allow to connect to their connection)

"Finally, your ISP would almost certainly object. After all, they're losing money in this arrangement. If you read their Terms of Service, you're bound to find something banning such behavior. If they catch you, the consequences might be serious"

Old 12-21-2015, 07:18 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,587,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawekeye2011 View Post
"Finally, your ISP would almost certainly object. After all, they're losing money in this arrangement. If you read their Terms of Service, you're bound to find something banning such behavior. If they catch you, the consequences might be serious"
That probably works the other way for most people. Stealing from Comcast or Verizon would make me at least a little happy.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:55 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,410,632 times
There are plenty of "remote" communities who are doing just this. They form an LLC, train a few people in the co-op to handle the equipment/troubleshoot issues and then get larger feed lines (fiber, microwave, whatever) to their head-end.

As for "sharing" your residential connection, it's against your terms of service with whomever is your ISP.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:13 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,082 times
What happens when you have to power cycle the modem and/or router and the neighbor who is housing it is gone on vacation for 2 weeks?
Or you need to get online for work, but your neighbor's kid is doing intensive gaming and using all the bandwidth?
Or the creepy person next door is downloading questionable material?
Or several neighbors have guests over and share the password with all of them, and you now have overloaded the router with users?

When my own kids come home for the holidays and connect all their computers, iPads, and phones, not to mention gaming devices, and then start watching Netflix and start gaming and are watching YouTube videos, I experience major Internet slowdown...and that's only 4 people!

Old 12-21-2015, 08:42 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
I was thinking more of like the way a hotel's wifi works, or the local Mall, or the corner coffee shop, where one source provides multiple access. I suppose someplace like a mall might pay a lot for this, but I don't know.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:48 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,867,365 times
A lot depends on the size of and who is in your neighborhood. An apartment complex could have it just like that of a hotel, however who maintains it, pays for it and controls it? The other issue is most people don’t even know their neighbors, who they are, and don’t want to deal with them. There are a number of cities that have installed wifi for the community, it’s part of the “public services” they provide which is an idea I personally like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House