Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 12:22 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Well,

Once we made the offer we were busy packing up the old house. It sold and closing got delayed, so we moved in with the inlaws. With our work schedules we didn't get another opportunity to go see it as we were scheduled to be out of the country when closing finally arrived. We signed P of A to the Realtor who would perform the final walkthrough and make sure everything was as we agreed upon and the house was clean. She never did it. She got tied up at another appointment and never made the final walkthrough. They went to closing sight unseen. She seemed as surprised as us when we got home two days after closing and the house was in shambles. She paid (and even helped) to clean the house back up and the seller's agent paid to have the pool company come out and clean the pool. It was as green as the grass (almost looked like pea soup).

It was a totally different house from the time we made the offer and when we took possession. I didn't go into complete detail but we ended up having to pay to rip all the carpet out and replace the flooring as well as fix holes in the walls, paint, etc....
What a nightmare! It went from nice looking place to holes in the walls?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 07:42 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
All the crap my uncle left behind of his...

Old 09-23-2016, 08:05 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
A fertility figure with a penis longer than it was tall. No joke.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:57 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
What a nightmare! It went from nice looking place to holes in the walls?!

Yep. Most was intentional. They were mad at having to sell the house because the husband wasn't allowed in the neighborhood any longer. He was a registered offender who had been arrested countless times for coming back there once the neighbors saw him and reported him. There was an elementary school across the street and living in the house violated the restriction that he couldn't be within 500 yards of a school or daycare.

So the wife and her sons destroyed the home before they left. They dumped old food from the fridge on the carpet, piled old trash bags full of rotting food against the garage door, knocked holes in the walls (some looked like they were done with fists, the others with furniture), amongst other things. Our neighbors gave us all the details after we moved in. It was a nightmare trying to sort everything out after the fact.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:13 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,292,002 times
I had kind of a cool find. I was up in my attic working on something, and found a metal can under the insulation and between the rafters. It was an old beer can from a long-dead brand. It was very solid and felt more like a modern vegetable can than beverage can.

My house was built in 1958. My assumption is that one of the roofers building the house enjoyed a cold one with his lunch and left the can there for me to find 50 years later. I cleaned it up and have it displayed on a shelf because I like the design.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:18 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
maybe this isnt the weirdest, but it was the most disturbing.

i was changing the switch plate in my bathroom, (and im here 30 years), and stuffed into the switch box was paper towels, they were stuffed in, Im assuming to stop drafts. ????????

i would think that was a fire hazzard , so I removed it, and took every other socket and switch plate off in the apartment to check...

to me that was a little scary...

Old 10-28-2016, 11:19 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,101,863 times
When I was little, my aunt moved into a cute little bungalow. One night, her husband went into the attic and discovered that it was full of furniture. The previous owners had left in a hurry. We heard rumors of the house being haunted and it was true. All kinds of weird stuff happened in that house. One night, the kitchen sink turned on by itself. The kitchen was flooded. My aunt moved away from there but the next place she moved to, the front door would open by itself. Weird.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:47 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
When I was little, my aunt moved into a cute little bungalow. One night, her husband went into the attic and discovered that it was full of furniture. The previous owners had left in a hurry. We heard rumors of the house being haunted and it was true. All kinds of weird stuff happened in that house. One night, the kitchen sink turned on by itself. The kitchen was flooded. My aunt moved away from there but the next place she moved to, the front door would open by itself. Weird.

Assuming the houses were older?

Both could easily be explained......

Faucets use a valve to stop water flow. Behind that valve is full water pressure. Over time the seals in the valves degrade and fail. I have seen faucets "turn on" by themselves when the seal finally gives way to the water pressure behind it. It's startling, but not supernatural.

We have two doors in our home that closed by themselves when we moved in. The house is on a crawlspace and has settled to a point that those doors are off-level. Before I replaced the hinges and leveled the floor those doors would start swinging shut as you walked past a certain point in the floor. It shifted the structure just enough to throw them off balance. If you didn't go near them they would slightly move (wasn't noticeable at a glance) until they got to a certain point and then start moving quicker. It appeared that they were closing themselves. The new hinges are much tighter tolerance and aren't worn so any little movement doesn't affect the door. Leveling the floor also helped with that.

Old 10-28-2016, 01:10 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Our first house had the grandkids living in it. They had moved in with Grandma and then Grandma died. Daughter sold the house. Daughter lived in Northern California about 350 miles away.

The kids were running a couple of businesses from the house. Grandson and friends had a computer repair business. Several rooms had boards over the windows and shelves mounted to the boards with computer parts on them. A metal shed in the back was full of computer parts. A sheet of plywood sitting on an antique coffee table served as a workbench. He and his friends (the friends also lived in the house after Grandma died) were also running a private car and motorcycle repair business from the garage/yard. There was a motorcycle engine in the front parlor with oil on the carpeting around it.

Grandma had used the house as a "Doll Hospital" for 50 years. One room was filled with boxes each labeled "Heads, arms, hair, eyes, legs, torsos. . . .) There were dolls in cases everywhere. (They had an auction and sold off the dolls, People came from all over the country, one sold for $20,000).

Ironic they had dolls of such value in the house and yet they sold off some of the light fixtures and the fireplace surround - neighbors said for drug money, but how would they know? It could have been to get veterinary care for the dog that peed all over the place.

The daughter's boyfriend was also running a business from the house. Apparently he was selling heroine and providing space in the back yard and garage for people to inject it and enjoy the high - we found this out much later.

The house had a a lot of antique furniture. When we were finally allowed inside before we made an offer on it (at first they said no one would be allowed inside, we just had to make an offer or not based on the outside, our realtor pointed out to them that if we bought the house, we would be going inside when we moved in and no one would make an offer without seeing the inside), stuff was piled everywhere, some of it was very cool. I wanted to buy the house flat out as is - just leave. I would clean it up and sort the cool stuff to keep. Wife said no. We did negotiate them leaving certain pieces of furniture, a mirror etc. Mostly antiques or vintage. About 20 items. They were to leave the house "broom clean"

Time to move came and they said they ran out of time. Could we let them lease back for a week? OK. Then two weeks. Finally we said look we have to renew our lease or move out of the house we were renting - time to go.

They told us they hauled 6 tons of stuff to the dump (not sure how they weighed it). They left and we moved in. In additional to the items we had agreed they would leave, there were a lot of other things in the house. A 1970s console stereo full of records (we gave that to a neighbor who proceeded to put it on their porch pointed at our house and blare music day and night until we called the police.). A filthy middle eastern rug that turned out to be beautiful and valuable once we had it cleaned. 115 gallons of dog pee (spread over the rug in all the rooms). The entire house was carpeted int he same smelly ugly olive carpeting and matching light green paint. Luckily there were nice hardwood floor underneath.

IN the room that had been filled with boxes of doll parts, we discovered a closet at the back of hte room we did not know was there, we also discovered a really net antique light fixture we had never seen. It probably avoided being sold off by being hidden behind a box of heads.

In the back yard was a pile of trash taller than me. Buried in the middle, were two motorocycles. both ran but needed repair (like missing handlebars). The trash was literally household trash, including plastic bags filled with dog poo, but there were some neat things mixed in (a working miniature piano among other things).

The metal shed full of computer parts was left that way with a lock on it. The garage was also locked - and full of their stuff. Instead of moving their stuff, they shoved it into the garage, locked it and left. Umm - this is our garage you locked. Did you think you could tell us we cannot go into our garage?

We tried to reach them to no avail. We finally reached the Mom and she said "*******s! (Meaning her kids) Just throw it all out." We broke into the garage, found a hack saw and cut the locks off.

There was some cool stuff in the garage. A world war II field radio, lots of tools, an antique bicycle, tons of stuff (literally) including about 100 cans of partially used housepaint and the entire front clip of a car. A large taxidermied snake, lots of car parts and motorcycle parts all kinds of chemicals (including we later discovered some insecticide made with DDT which had been illegal for 25 years). Oh and a dead opossum.

Buried in the yard we later found a plastic tub with about 200 hypodermic needles and some vials of chemicals the police later confirmed were narcotics (we think it was heroine). Some of boyfriends customers also showed up one day. By that time the police knew us and came immediately when we called.

The shed was still completely full of old computer parts with no value whatsoever. There was also a rotten wooden trunk filled with rotting cloth (table linens). When I picked up the trunk, I discovered it had a false bottom and the bottom was filled with very fine china (Which we still have).

Luckily for us, we discovered we could put virtually anything at the curb, and the next day, it would be gone. I put some straps around the front clip of the car and literally drug it to the curb (I was very big and strong then). The next morning it was gone. It must have weighed 400 pounds. I ahve no idea how they took it, the wheels were gone. Piles of computer parts, old cans of paint, a crappy commercial style sink all covered in rust - everything we dragged to the curb disappeared by morning. We never even saw anyone taking it. It was just gone. I tore out the pee saturated carpeting (decent hardwood floor underneath) and left it at the curb - gone by morning.

Some of the brother's friends came by and said they were supposed to pick up the things that were left behind. I told them I had no way of knowing whether that was true or not, but they had been left behind and we owned them now. However I let them take some things, like the broken motorcycles in trade for cleaning up the remainder of the pile of junk in the back yard (we had not yet found the drugs or we would have called the police, but we later learned it was the granddaughter's boyfriend who was the drug dealer. The brother and his friends were apparently just nerds and slobs. Although we also found a bag of what appeared to be pot in the shed of computer parts (we just tossed it into the trash, getting the police involved with the narcotics was a pia and they wanted us to prove it was not ours (would we call you and tell you about finding it if it were ours?). It was a mess, it took nearly a month to get it more or less cleaned up, but we did end up with some terrific antiques and tools, many of which we still have.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 10-28-2016 at 01:42 PM..

Old 10-28-2016, 05:27 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Our first house had the grandkids living in it. They had moved in with Grandma and then Grandma died. Daughter sold the house. Daughter lived in Northern California about 350 miles away.

The kids were running a couple of businesses from the house. Grandson and friends had a computer repair business. Several rooms had boards over the windows and shelves mounted to the boards with computer parts on them. A metal shed in the back was full of computer parts. A sheet of plywood sitting on an antique coffee table served as a workbench. He and his friends (the friends also lived in the house after Grandma died) were also running a private car and motorcycle repair business from the garage/yard. There was a motorcycle engine in the front parlor with oil on the carpeting around it.

Grandma had used the house as a "Doll Hospital" for 50 years. One room was filled with boxes each labeled "Heads, arms, hair, eyes, legs, torsos. . . .) There were dolls in cases everywhere. (They had an auction and sold off the dolls, People came from all over the country, one sold for $20,000).

Ironic they had dolls of such value in the house and yet they sold off some of the light fixtures and the fireplace surround - neighbors said for drug money, but how would they know? It could have been to get veterinary care for the dog that peed all over the place.

The daughter's boyfriend was also running a business from the house. Apparently he was selling heroine and providing space in the back yard and garage for people to inject it and enjoy the high - we found this out much later.

The house had a a lot of antique furniture. When we were finally allowed inside before we made an offer on it (at first they said no one would be allowed inside, we just had to make an offer or not based on the outside, our realtor pointed out to them that if we bought the house, we would be going inside when we moved in and no one would make an offer without seeing the inside), stuff was piled everywhere, some of it was very cool. I wanted to buy the house flat out as is - just leave. I would clean it up and sort the cool stuff to keep. Wife said no. We did negotiate them leaving certain pieces of furniture, a mirror etc. Mostly antiques or vintage. About 20 items. They were to leave the house "broom clean"

Time to move came and they said they ran out of time. Could we let them lease back for a week? OK. Then two weeks. Finally we said look we have to renew our lease or move out of the house we were renting - time to go.

They told us they hauled 6 tons of stuff to the dump (not sure how they weighed it). They left and we moved in. In additional to the items we had agreed they would leave, there were a lot of other things in the house. A 1970s console stereo full of records (we gave that to a neighbor who proceeded to put it on their porch pointed at our house and blare music day and night until we called the police.). A filthy middle eastern rug that turned out to be beautiful and valuable once we had it cleaned. 115 gallons of dog pee (spread over the rug in all the rooms). The entire house was carpeted int he same smelly ugly olive carpeting and matching light green paint. Luckily there were nice hardwood floor underneath.

IN the room that had been filled with boxes of doll parts, we discovered a closet at the back of hte room we did not know was there, we also discovered a really net antique light fixture we had never seen. It probably avoided being sold off by being hidden behind a box of heads.

In the back yard was a pile of trash taller than me. Buried in the middle, were two motorocycles. both ran but needed repair (like missing handlebars). The trash was literally household trash, including plastic bags filled with dog poo, but there were some neat things mixed in (a working miniature piano among other things).

The metal shed full of computer parts was left that way with a lock on it. The garage was also locked - and full of their stuff. Instead of moving their stuff, they shoved it into the garage, locked it and left. Umm - this is our garage you locked. Did you think you could tell us we cannot go into our garage?

We tried to reach them to no avail. We finally reached the Mom and she said "*******s! (Meaning her kids) Just throw it all out." We broke into the garage, found a hack saw and cut the locks off.

There was some cool stuff in the garage. A world war II field radio, lots of tools, an antique bicycle, tons of stuff (literally) including about 100 cans of partially used housepaint and the entire front clip of a car. A large taxidermied snake, lots of car parts and motorcycle parts all kinds of chemicals (including we later discovered some insecticide made with DDT which had been illegal for 25 years). Oh and a dead opossum.

Buried in the yard we later found a plastic tub with about 200 hypodermic needles and some vials of chemicals the police later confirmed were narcotics (we think it was heroine). Some of boyfriends customers also showed up one day. By that time the police knew us and came immediately when we called.

The shed was still completely full of old computer parts with no value whatsoever. There was also a rotten wooden trunk filled with rotting cloth (table linens). When I picked up the trunk, I discovered it had a false bottom and the bottom was filled with very fine china (Which we still have).

Luckily for us, we discovered we could put virtually anything at the curb, and the next day, it would be gone. I put some straps around the front clip of the car and literally drug it to the curb (I was very big and strong then). The next morning it was gone. It must have weighed 400 pounds. I ahve no idea how they took it, the wheels were gone. Piles of computer parts, old cans of paint, a crappy commercial style sink all covered in rust - everything we dragged to the curb disappeared by morning. We never even saw anyone taking it. It was just gone. I tore out the pee saturated carpeting (decent hardwood floor underneath) and left it at the curb - gone by morning.

Some of the brother's friends came by and said they were supposed to pick up the things that were left behind. I told them I had no way of knowing whether that was true or not, but they had been left behind and we owned them now. However I let them take some things, like the broken motorcycles in trade for cleaning up the remainder of the pile of junk in the back yard (we had not yet found the drugs or we would have called the police, but we later learned it was the granddaughter's boyfriend who was the drug dealer. The brother and his friends were apparently just nerds and slobs. Although we also found a bag of what appeared to be pot in the shed of computer parts (we just tossed it into the trash, getting the police involved with the narcotics was a pia and they wanted us to prove it was not ours (would we call you and tell you about finding it if it were ours?). It was a mess, it took nearly a month to get it more or less cleaned up, but we did end up with some terrific antiques and tools, many of which we still have.
Interesting! I would love to buy a house like this. Like buying an episode of American Pickers.

I bet it was a fine family that just degenerated over the course of a few generations. It happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House