Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 02:43 PM

748 posts, read 2,887,208 times

Advertisements

Found out that roots are clogging my sewer pipe from the my home to the main sewer line. The repair person ran a snake and cleared out the roots, but said the problem will come again. He said the permanent solution of replacing this drain pipe is going to be very expensive ( > $5000). But he said its not that uncommon in Nassau county.

He suggested using a chemical to flush down the toilet to kill the roots once a year. Anyone else have this problem. Have you used RootX or some other chemical to deal with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 02:51 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
There's a few different ways to deal with this problem.
First...can you eliminate the source of the roots?

Old 08-24-2010, 02:57 PM

294 posts, read 878,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
Found out that roots are clogging my sewer pipe from the my home to the main sewer line. The repair person ran a snake and cleared out the roots, but said the problem will come again. He said the permanent solution of replacing this drain pipe is going to be very expensive ( > $5000). But he said its not that uncommon in Nassau county.

He suggested using a chemical to flush down the toilet to kill the roots once a year. Anyone else have this problem. Have you used RootX or some other chemical to deal with this?
My dh has used RootX in the past, but never would again. This was about 10 years ago. This is very toxic and harmful to the environment. While it eats away at roots (and yes, it does take them a long time to grow back) it also eats away at the sewer system and water supply and anything in its way.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:55 PM

748 posts, read 2,887,208 times
I think the source of the roots is a tree in the front yard. Not sure if cutting the tree down is going to eliminate the roots from growing.

Do you remember how much he paid for RootX. I found other chemicals similar to RootX, but I am wondering if this is going to work the same. rootX says it is not going to harm the tree, and it is approved for use by NY State ( all states except Florida).

Old 08-24-2010, 10:11 PM

294 posts, read 878,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
I think the source of the roots is a tree in the front yard. Not sure if cutting the tree down is going to eliminate the roots from growing.

Do you remember how much he paid for RootX. I found other chemicals similar to RootX, but I am wondering if this is going to work the same. rootX says it is not going to harm the tree, and it is approved for use by NY State ( all states except Florida).
No, it was quite a long time ago. Sorry. I do remember the company we hired went in to the sewer line from a trap in my front porch to clean out the roots. That has kept the roots away for the last several years.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:47 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
You could do two things. One is have the sewer line cleaned out every few years just to keep the roots that do grow back at bay. The other is to use copper sulfate. You flush it down the toilet at night so it sits in the sewer overnight and gets rid of the roots.
Don't cut a tree down just to save a sewer prpe. The roots continue to grow and cutting the tree down is not a solution.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:37 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Assuming no permits are needed...

I would find out where the root was intruding into the pipe, using a drain cam or even a night security cam taped to a sewer snake. Once I had the distance marked, I'd dig down with a trencher or backhoe, find the root and remove that section of it. Then I would do an outside patch on the pipe where the root had gained access - probably using fiberglass and resin for a watertight seal, then cover that in a bag of quickcrete with some copper sulfate mixed in. The cement will be weak and rot, but it'll hold the copper longer than sand or gravel.

Optionally, to discourage regrowth, I'd put sand and a little copper sulfate around the outside of the pipe if it was PVC or clay tile and not metal. If the root was aggressive, I would do the same at the end of the root. This assumes the pipe is at least two feet down and not in a swampy area of near a watershed. Using the copper sulfate this way instead of constantly flushing more of it is less damaging.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:25 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
We had the same problem with our house in NJ. We looked at it this way- the RotoRooter guy cost around $150 every time he came out, and we had a price of just over $3,000 to replace the sewer line. In the 8 years we lived in the house, we had to have the line cleared 4 times, so that works out to approximately $75/year. At that rate, it'd take 40 years to hit the $3,000 mark, so it was cheaper to just have the line cleaned when it got clogged. Just another cost of home ownership, IMO.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 20,799 times
I took my toilet out and put in the drain snake and it takes out a few roots but it is still clogged.

BTW-I used a 75-footer

Old 02-02-2013, 09:29 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,875,003 times
When I was growing up we had Christmas trees in front of the kitchen and bay windows. They were little when my parents bought the house, but grew, so by the time I was 17, we were having this happen more frequently. With only one bathroom, it was a hassle. Finally had trees removed, as this was the source of the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House