Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 11:26 PM

5,586 posts, read 8,376,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
My sentiments EXACTLY!
I have three cats and one dog.
I keep my motorhome parked beside the house.
I have a car, a pickup, 2 ATV's, a 14 foot box trailer, a flatbed trailer, a boat, and a 1985 Suburban television news truck project.
I am a licensed Ham radio operator. Next summer I will be putting up a 40+ foot antenna tower.
My neighbor has 7 horses on his property, a tractor under restoration in his driveway, several vehicles and boats, ATV's, motorcycles, horse trailers, a fifth wheel RV, and he shoots at geese from his rear deck.
There is no HOA to give us grief over any of the above.
We like it that way.
Good for you and your neighbor. On the other hand, some of us don't want to live next to a yard that looks like Sanford & Son. For those of us who live in condo and townhouse communities, we prefer an exterior appearance that maintains consistency and preserves property values. If you don't like it, don't buy into it; and I won't buy in a place where my neighbor can have a rusty chain-link fence and broken-down cars in his yard. Live and let live.

As for the OP's question -- it sounds to me as if they were trying to impose a limit of two dogs OR two cats, but the "AND" part of "and/or" legally could be interpreted as two dogs and two cats. Very poorly worded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 02:33 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,545,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
As for the OP's question -- it sounds to me as if they were trying to impose a limit of two dogs OR two cats, but the "AND" part of "and/or" legally could be interpreted as two dogs and two cats. Very poorly worded.
(boolean) logically speaking, or assumes and so and/or == or.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:15 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,081,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
(boolean) logically speaking, or assumes and so and/or == or.
Okay now that is just funny.
The wording is not definitive. Someone above stated a leg count in their contract. Pending no amputations, this makes the most sense. ;-)

Old 01-03-2016, 04:40 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,545,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Okay now that is just funny.
The wording is not definitive. Someone above stated a leg count in their contract. Pending no amputations, this makes the most sense. ;-)
Yup. I repped you and grumpy.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:29 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,929,854 times
Poorly written clause reasonably uncertain. Since the HOA is the drafter of the contract ambiguities are to their detriment.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:03 AM

24,241 posts, read 10,546,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
For your information and edification, here are the CCR's for a local housing development about a mile down the road.

Pioneer Road Estates » Master Covenants

I would never live there.
I wonder why they felt it necessary to forbid having an aircraft in the street or on a lot?
LOL - we lived within the HOA from hell (not the covenants but interpretation by the board and selective enforcement). Most board members lived on the rather large lake on the premises. Nothing like landing on it early on Sunday))

Old 01-04-2016, 06:39 AM

4,268 posts, read 6,276,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
YES they can and they DO, do some searching for HOA nightmares and you will see.
I'm sure there are some HOAs out there that go crazy - that's why I said, "for the most part" - I acknowledge that not all HOAs are as decent as mine.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:28 AM

446 posts, read 706,930 times
I've talked to three developers who build in neighborhoods that have the 'two dogs and/or two cats' clause.

Not one of them can tell me definitively if that means you can have two animals or four.

Ri-freaking-diculous.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:58 AM

8,076 posts, read 10,035,259 times
What it says is that you can have two dogs and two cats. Total of four animals.

What they likely "meant" was you may have two dogs OR two cats.

Likely written by an idiot. Judge will interpret it as written: Total of four animals; two dogs and two cats.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:22 PM

446 posts, read 706,930 times
I got the Management Company / HOA to give me a 'you can have any four animals you want' variance.

It was like pulling teeth, but I finally got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House