Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 06:52 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,651,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
We just received the quarterly statement from our utility company stating we are Number 1 in effiecincy out of the 100 closest occupied houses near us. As we should be. Keep that in mind if your utility company sends out something similar; homes not being currently lived in but paying a monthly bill are rated, skewing the results.
I was thinking about this statement and it didn't make sense. The tools used to measure efficiency by your boiler/hvac company are thousands of dollars, not to mention they are not hooked up to your equipment. And this doesnt include how comfortable you feel as this is based on a person by person basis.

And as you stated, some homes are not even occupied, so I have no idea what they are using as a metric to measure efficiency.

Maybe your #1 in fuel usage? Hehe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 08:41 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,757,759 times
FYI, for those on the fence, the Ecobee doesn't use batteries. Nest Thermostats Are Having Battery Problems and There's No Fix Yet*

Old 01-08-2016, 09:06 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
I was thinking about this statement and it didn't make sense. The tools used to measure efficiency by your boiler/hvac company are thousands of dollars, not to mention they are not hooked up to your equipment. And this doesnt include how comfortable you feel as this is based on a person by person basis.

And as you stated, some homes are not even occupied, so I have no idea what they are using as a metric to measure efficiency.

Maybe your #1 in fuel usage? Hehe.
We used the lowest amount of energy, gas and electric, which translates to effieciency in their eyes. Never mind that the inside temp is a bone chilling 52.

The biggest drop in our energy consumption was when we got our first programmable thermostat years ago and set lower temps when we were at work and at night. The thermostat paid for itself quickly.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:18 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,896 times
Quote:
The biggest drop in our energy consumption was when we got our first programmable thermostat years ago and set lower temps when we were at work and at night. The thermostat paid for itself quickly.
Not to dispute that the t-stat paid for itself, but the same results could have been achieved if you lower the temps manually on the way out to work and before bedtime. It does take say 30 mins of discomfort when you raise the temp back up upon returning but then, you're already thick-skinned enough to tolerate 52 deg.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:05 AM

621 posts, read 1,122,970 times
Quote:
I'll disagree again. A boiler would reheat the temp quickly on small modern radiators, that doesn't happen quickly on old, large cast iron ones. I would not use a swing range. We have the temp set at 52 while we are gone and do not want it going lower than that.
A boiler burner has it's own operating control with it's own deadband to cycle based on loop temp rather than a zone control. Minor deadband differences for zone controls have virtually no impact on boiler efficiency. From the standpoint of a gas fired furnace, longer run periods are the most efficient and short run periods are horrible as it takes a few minutes to reach "steady state" operations. Don't be fooled.

Either way a 1° deadband has no practical purpose in comfort control and needlessly wears out whatever it controls.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
FYI, for those on the fence, the Ecobee doesn't use batteries.
Both use internal batteries. Nest made the mistake of promoting the idea that it could be used to operate the stat. A missing "C" wire is why the folks in the article are dissatisfied. The linked article leaves a lot out by implying that the battery is the issue rather than the circuit. Nest vs Ecobee, Ford vs Chevy...you could could be right or wrong by stating one is superior.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:39 AM

The Ecobee 3 doesn't have batteries for the main stat. It is powered by the 24 volts from the system. The sensors have little 2032 cells in them but they are wireless.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:21 AM

https://www.ecobee.com/faq/ecobee3-internal-battery/

Do you want to let ecobee know that they're wrong or should I?

Old 01-09-2016, 06:33 PM

A coin cell that keeps time and lasts years while the stat off the supply from the unit is completely different than batteries as the primary means to run the thermostat at all times that last months and evidently can be run down by a crappy firmware update. Just saying.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:30 PM

906 posts, read 1,765,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgardian View Post
Now here is my dilemma. Went and bought the Honeywell wifi touchscreen.

then found out that the wire is a 2 wire only. Even at the furnace level I see the red and white connect. I mean it's a transformer, there must be a way that there is a 24V somewhere in there that I can tap into to run the C wire to power the thermostat?
Welcome to the major dilemma with smart thermostats. As another poster mention, the majority require a C wire to operate properly. I did not have a C-wire to either of my thermostats and my Nest did funky things like cycle the furnace on and off to charge the battery. You can have an electrician (or HVAC technician) run a new thermostat wire for you with a C-wire to power your Honeywell. Unfortunately, its an additional cost but it means you can continue to run WIFI thermostats as technology changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House