Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 10:09 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
We-l-l-l...if you really are into celebrating the season, you can make a good argument for keeping decorations up through January 17.

Which is Old Twelfth Night, twelve nights after January 5, which is Old Christmas Eve. Animals kneel (and some say, talk) at midnight and the alder and thorn bloom on Old Christmas Eve; you can wassail your fruit trees on Old Twelfth Night (among other traditional rituals).

My tree came down yesterday - time to do it; it was dried out and brittle - but the wreath is still on my front door. I may switch it out with an Old Twelfth Night wreath, which has green, purple, and gold decorations. Too much going on to have an Old Twelfth Night party this year, however, though the fruit trees will still get wassailed.
January 17th, you say??

Love it! Done! Very excited about this plan

I can't fathom taking all these lovely decorations down on December 26th!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 12:19 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Zero exterior lights here, I've just never seen the point. I wouldn't do anything inside either but my spouse wants something. So we have some decorations up for about 10~14 days, everything put away by noon on Dec 26th after her family has been over.

I believe, for most people, it's to celebrate the season - whether the religious origin or the "holiday spirit" of the season. It's too bad that some people have no celebration within, and even rush to eliminate any lingering sign of someone else's celebration. It's a sad way to live.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:22 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
It would have been interesting for everyone who posted about when they dismantle their decorations to have noted when they put them up and lit them. I'd bet that many early starters were also early finishers but that there is also a contingent who love to get them up early and leave them there a long time.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:54 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,718 times
It all revolves around the weather. Somewhere around the middle of November the lights go up, but do not get switched on til a week before Christmas. Then when I get a good day just after the 1st of January weather permitting, they come down. Still plenty of houses still lit up around here tho.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:57 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
It would have been interesting for everyone who posted about when they dismantle their decorations to have noted when they put them up and lit them. I'd bet that many early starters were also early finishers but that there is also a contingent who love to get them up early and leave them there a long time.
Mine go up the weekend after Thanksgiving and go down the weekend after Christmas. One month is enough.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:48 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trespassers W View Post
Orthodox Christmas is Jan. 7
We will be taking ours down this weekend.
Unless you live in Mississippi or Arkansas. Then they're up all year long but they don't get turnt on agin 'till the day after Halloween. We ain't stoopid.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:05 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Unless you live in Mississippi or Arkansas. Then they're up all year long but they don't get turnt on agin 'till the day after Halloween. We ain't stoopid.
What language is "turnt"

Old 01-09-2016, 08:07 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
What language is "turnt"
Murican, duh.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:51 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Forget whenever freakin' Walmart or other businesses start hawking Christmas, our decorations don't go up until the second weekend into December. Indoors and outdoors.

They don't come down until after The Epiphany. Indoors or outdoors.

The Christmas season is now ended and Mardi Gras has started! Party on, until Lent.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:10 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
They're still on in our neighborhood. I only put a battery operated candle in every window that turn themselves on and turn themselves off after 8 hours. It gives the house this spooky Halloween feel which I love. They also go well with my little bats and lightening bolts curtain still hanging in the one leaded window in the dining room. I'm too lazy to make another curtain to protect the furniture from the sun. I'm letting the candles stay in the windows until they either break or the batteries die. I lost two this last week. I think next Halloween I'll use them with the props in the window. They really are kind of neat.

Oh yeah, sorry, I got lost in this whole Halloween thing again. The Christmas lights usually stay on here until the end of February. I did see some people taking theirs down this week, but it's been raining the last couple of days. The polar vortex is about to descend and put us in the realm of the frozen tundra, so I doubt that anyone will be taking their Christmas lights down any time soon.

PS: My big ornaments on the porch came in a couple of days after New Years Eve, and my Halloween decorations are down and being packed away on November 2nd. I still see Christmas trees lit up in peoples houses. Doh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House