Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 06:05 PM

169 posts, read 331,149 times

Advertisements

is having a well and septic system onsite a real inconvenience and lots to manage? we have a choice with a house that is city water and sewer and wondering if thats a big plus, enough for us to leave the house with well/septic?
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 06:44 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
As long as the septic and systems were maintained, you should be fine. Septic systems and the leeching field should be inspected regularly and the tank pumped out when needed. The well pump can and will fail at some point so be prepared to shell out the money to replace it. Keep in mind that well pumps are electric - lose power, lose water.

Given the choice, I'd go municipal.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:48 PM

715 posts, read 1,039,814 times
Default Septic is easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidss77 View Post
is having a well and septic system onsite a real inconvenience and lots to manage? we have a choice with a house that is city water and sewer and wondering if thats a big plus, enough for us to leave the house with well/septic?
thanks
We have septic and as long as we have ours pumped and cleaned once every three years it's out of sight, out of mind. Only maintenance I do is flush a bio tab (a good bacteria booster) down the toilet once a month, and that's it. Grass above the septic drain field gets reeeeeal green and tall in our yard too ;O). All things the same, I'd go septic. No sewer fee either.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:51 PM

715 posts, read 1,039,814 times
Just read the other reply. Yeah, power goes out with rural water, pump/ water does as well. Have to have a transfer switch and geney hookup to the house to run water well Pump during outages. Ours works great.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:07 PM

983 posts, read 1,055,525 times
We were on a private well at our old house. We used a generator part of the time, also we stored buckets of water for flushing. Also, my dh "went for walks".

We have always had septic. Not a problem. We get it pumped every few years.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:11 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I've had both. It's cheaper to have your own well and septic, as long as you maintain them reasonably. Given the choice, I'd choose my own well and septic.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:17 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
The big difference is the cost of water and the cost of getting rid of waste water. If you use a lot of water you might like your own private system. But if you are in a typical household with a small property, the reliability of the public system might be more appealing. Still, you will need to pay to hook up the public system, which could cost a lot more than maintainance on the well and septic. But a lot of people are 'afraid' of well and septic so resale might be better with public systems.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:20 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
I've had my septic pump out once in 36 years. Have a generator for power outages and can run the well pump with it. Had to replace the well pump once in that time too. I'd rather have well and septic than give the town a dime. As mentioned above adding a bottle of Septic Free once a month keeps everything working fine .

Old 01-09-2016, 10:12 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
I am the opposite of one poster. The more usage, the more I would want to be on city water/sewage. The less usage, the more comfortable I would be with well/septic. I have had both and cost aside, I prefer the less worrisome city but that is just me.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:30 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I am the opposite of one poster. The more usage, the more I would want to be on city water/sewage. The less usage, the more comfortable I would be with well/septic. I have had both and cost aside, I prefer the less worrisome city but that is just me.
The cost of water in some areas is pretty high, so more useage gets expensive. Also in many areas you are charged for sewage disposal as if all of the water you buy goes into the public sewer. So if you have big gardens or livestock or wash your vehicles a lot you are being charged twice even when you aren't dumping it all back into the public system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House