Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 04:01 PM

320 posts, read 507,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The sorts of things that you've done, taking outlets / switch out of the wall, messing around with breakers, poking around behind the wiring CAN GET YOU KILLED. WHAT IS THE GOAL?
dude, the three prong outlets should not be there, as is. None of them are grounded, all i've done to know this is plug a standard $10 ckt tester in and it said "no ground". If the wiring is grounded at the box the outlets that are in them are not connected properly.

something similar to this is what i used:

Using that is no more dangerous than plugging in a lamp.

I did not open the panel or do anything else "dangerous." I did flip off the breaker, remove one outlet cover, unscrew that outlet and look at the wiring behind it. With the breaker off, that is also not dangerous.

Quote:
"WHY WOULD YOU THINK A LARGE COMPLEX, REMODELED BY QUALIFIED CONTRACTORS WAS NOT DONE TO CODE?"
Because the outlets are not grounded! Earlier you said they might be ok because maybe a permit wasn't pulled for the rest of the apt when they did the kitchen. Well, if that is true, then the outlets should be 1940s outlets, not 2014 modern, slick, square outlets.

Quote:
The outlets shouldn't have been switched to normal three prong outlets.NO EVIDENCE FOR THIS! They should be grounded if there is a ground in the box (the ground screws in the outlets should be attached to the box) FALSE!!! I and others explains the BX armour itself is a code compliant ground
Again, ^^ that is only true *IF* the outlets are grounded correctly, which they are not. So if it is the wiring your talking about then all they have to due is run a wire from the green screw on the outlet to the metal box right? Why wasn't that done? Its CODE to have grounded outlets grounded (unless they're GFIs, which these ARE NOT).

Quote:
If this was done by the contractors it was not "to code" but it is in a grey area of sorts if someone else did it. NO SUCH THINGS AS GRAY AREA! CODE IS CODE!
Earlier you said if they only pulled permits for the kitchen then the outlets elsewhere wouldn't have been inspected. So now you're saying its not code when earlier you said it wasn't? By "grey area" i meant who is responsible for it. if the contractor was only hired to do the kitchen and someone else (maintenance guy? maybe?) swapped out the outlets later then it wouldn't have been inspected. I used the word "code" in error.

Again, I only took one outlet out of the wall about 1/2 inch, to see if it was 3 wire or 2 wire. The breaker was off. I haven't opened the panel or removed switches or anything else.

I became concerned when I discovered the outlets weren't grounded WHICH IS NOT TO CODE (they need to either be marked ungrounded with GFIs or 2 prong outlets), and is dangerous to my electronics (at least) or to me if something shorts. That's why I'm concerned.

Quote:
Secondly: the breaker is clearly not wired correctly. YOU ARE NOT QUALIFIED TO MAKE THIS JUDGEMENT
Also everyone else seems to think the issue with the two small breakers in slot 9 is an issue. I am not an expert but it is worth an expert looking at it. Which is why I am calling the office about it, tomorrow morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 04:05 PM

320 posts, read 507,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Again, without pulling the panel cover off and tracing wired, it's hard to understand what the case is here.

I'm gonna guess that each breaker is feeding the same circuit through some wiring mistake. But again, without seeing it in person, this is only a guess and you shouldn't act on it.
Thank you for additional clarification. I am not about to dig any deeper than what I have, I'll be calling the office tomorrow to have them send out an electrician to look at it.

Thanks again for everyone for the info. When I started the thread I was basically trying to figure out if there was any way it was "to code" for 3 prong outlets to be ungrounded, then later I discovered the breaker thing. Your collective insight has been helpful, so thank you.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:11 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,553,752 times
Im an electrician. The pictures you showed of the outlets are called "self grounded outlets" that gold piece of metal on the yoke of the outlet bonds the outlet to the,metal box. Most likely they are grounded because you have bx cable that uses the armor jacket as the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House