Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 11:38 AM

3 posts, read 9,879 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

This past October I had some travertine tiling done on my outdoor concrete deck that's located on the 3rd floor of my condo.

The tiles are now showing major cracks in them.

There's been very little human activity on the deck (i.e no one's been on it regularly) and there are no heavy objects sitting on the tile.

I'm new to the world of tiling but this does not seem to be at all normal. I'm not sure what to do -- get a second opinion from another expert, contact the original tiler to complain, etc.

Any recommendations / thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 12:06 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Travertine tiles are not generally recommended for outdoor use -- because of its porosity, if not properly sealed it can pull moisture from even the air. That change in moisture, along with temperature cycles, can cause failure.

Was a mortar base used? What is the climate? Is there solar exposure, where it heats up during the day and cools at night? Seems like a bad idea on many levels...

Old 01-12-2016, 12:10 PM

22,584 posts, read 47,649,975 times
How to Use Travertine Tile Outdoors | Home Guides | SF Gate

"Take care if using travertine tiles in this way not to use tiles measuring 3/8-inch thickness or thinner. Thinner tiles will need a mortar bed for proper installation and may crack outdoors."

How thick are your tiles?

Old 01-12-2016, 03:43 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Travertine is a high maintenance material. Your installer should have put a stone sealant on it and use proper mortar.We had travertine installed in our former home's master bath and the installer told us all of what's involved. Personally, I'm not sure if I want to deal with that again.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:48 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
An experienced, competent tiler would have told you travertine tile is not conducive to exterior use. I'll just leave it at that.

Trying to explain why it happened isn't going to fix it!

Old 01-13-2016, 10:54 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
While travertine TILE is problematic, a properly done full travertine floor is about the most durable floor possible. The Miracle Theatre in Coral Gables FL was made with travertine flooring that extended out into the sidewalk. That stuff was bulletproof. In addition to millions of people over the years, it stood up to supply carts and equipment dollies and metal wheel casters and a host of other insults. Once every few years is got a diamond polishing and a treatment of non-skid, but I never saw any damage or cracking in it.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:03 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Most common travertine tile that is used for residential use (interior) is usually about 10mm in thickness. Exterior, large format or paver tiles (for high traffic areas) are usually 20-30mm in thickness. Exterior building cladding is 30mm thick.

There are two different ways to cut travertine- one makes for a substantially stronger tile; however thickness will be the overall winner in an exterior application.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:14 PM

3 posts, read 9,879 times
Thank you all for your responses.

Some additional info based on questions you all asked:

1) Climate. I'm located in San Francisco, so the climate isn't particularly extreme at all for heat / cold. Also, the tiles were also installed in October, which is a cooler month. We've had pretty consistent temps in the mid 50s-60s for the past few months, with a few cold nights.

The tile is located on a roof deck, though, so it does get sun exposure / light exposure during the day.

2) Tile thickness. I'm not sure precisely, but based on the sample tile I have from the installer, the thickness looks to be about 1/2 inch. The bar code on the back of the sample says "Tavas Travertine - made in Turkey".

3) The installer did lay down a membrane on the deck concrete prior to installing the tiles (I saw it during the process). However, I don't believe he used any sealants on the tiles once they were installed.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:19 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Pretty clearly this was 10mm type interior travertine tile.

While SF is not Buffalo there is certainly more than enough moisture in the air to result in a porous stone being stressed, coupled with the variation from nighttime to daytime temperature that pretty well doomed this product in this installation.

Even if a proper isolation membrane was used, with the correct curing time before grouting and proper bonding / substrate, an experienced tile-setter / stone mason should have told the home owner that the stone supplied was not a good choice for exterior use. Failure to seal it only hastened the failure...

Crack-Isolation System Facts
http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/tds/tds-124.pdf

Old 01-13-2016, 08:29 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
You MUST seal natural stone due to porosity! We have slate and the previous homeowner didn't seal it. Now we have a permanent stain on one tile and chafing with others. Suffice to say we sealed it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House