Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 11:14 AM

356 posts, read 281,709 times

Advertisements

I also buy king comforters for my queen sized bed. They hang better and cover the mattress and box springs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 01:20 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm redoing the guest room. Seems that the comforters come in Queen sizes AND Full/Queen. What is the difference?
The Full is the Double size.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:26 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times
Depends on how you want it to hang. It will be a little wider than a standard Full only but narrower than a Queen only. If you are deciding, look at the measurements and measure where you want it to hang on your bed and buy the one that fits. Same goes when you buy sheets, just because they are labeled Queen sheets they are not all the same size. Look especially at the top sheet dimensions. The wider the measurement the more you can tuck. This is especially true if you have a thicker mattress.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:47 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
I bought a king size comforter for my queen bed. I like the generous look this provides. The downside is that the pillow shams that came with it are also king size and I use standard pillows. I still use them and fold the extra fabric to the back.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:37 PM

727 posts, read 716,088 times
Am I the only one who has given up comforters?! I got tired of taking them to the laundromat because they were so heavy and I didn't want to overload my washer. They took a long time to dry, too. A couple were dry clean only--definitely not good with pets.

Many years ago, I moved on to a blanket and a matelasse coverlet or lightweight quilt if it was cold enough. Changed out to flannel sheets if it was really cold. I gave up bedskirts, too, and now cover the foundation with a fitted sheet that matches the rest. Everything is easily washable once a week.

Oh, and no more pillow shams, either. Pillowcases are just fine.

Simplifying as I get older!

Old 07-22-2018, 08:54 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,498,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSJSAS View Post
Am I the only one who has given up comforters?! I got tired of taking them to the laundromat because they were so heavy and I didn't want to overload my washer. They took a long time to dry, too. A couple were dry clean only--definitely not good with pets.

Many years ago, I moved on to a blanket and a matelasse coverlet or lightweight quilt if it was cold enough. Changed out to flannel sheets if it was really cold. I gave up bedskirts, too, and now cover the foundation with a fitted sheet that matches the rest. Everything is easily washable once a week.

I'm with you on this. I used to have a comforter, and although I know my bed would look better with a bedskirt, I gave up on that too. Never bothered with shams.

We have mild weather here in the Bay Area and I sleep on the warm side, so I always preferred the full/queen comforter to anything bigger. My queen mattress is 10" or 11" deep, and I found the hang to be plenty. I once bought a queen/king comforter and hated it. Put it out on my bed, cursed its massiveness under my breath, and took it right back to the store!

Old 07-22-2018, 09:27 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,914,161 times
I think full/queen means it can fit a full or queen.

As others do, I also really like the king comforter on a queen bed.

I cover my box springs with one fitted sheet with the elastic so it tucks in under the box springs and it looks nice. I can match that to the comforter or the top sheet. (If you're doing that, though, remember it can be hard to change the fitted sheet over the box springs very often. So the match might be a single color, some sort of more neutral version of the top sheets you use so it'll match a few colors.)

I like pillows in nice shams but I don't take the pillows out of the shams...don't use those to sleep on. They stay in the shams and get put to the side for sleeping. That said, that is usually for the guest room. But I do like to have shams for the occasional times I fully make up all the beds.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:02 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSJSAS View Post

I had switched from comforters to duvet covers for the ease of washing, however, I was looking for something fresh for my bedroom when my house was on the market and found a great deal on a neutral king comforter set. I'll keep using it in the new house until I get tired of it. Part of the deal in the new house was that the owners left their washer and dryer, so I now have a bigger washing machine that accommodates a comforter better.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:24 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,914,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I had switched from comforters to duvet covers for the ease of washing, however, I was looking for something fresh for my bedroom when my house was on the market and found a great deal on a neutral king comforter set. I'll keep using it in the new house until I get tired of it. Part of the deal in the new house was that the owners left their washer and dryer, so I now have a bigger washing machine that accommodates a comforter better.
Duvets. Yes. Love them. I used to have a couple. A good duvet and a nice cover looked good and was good in cold weather. I have a cover but not a duvet any longer. But you've got me thinking.

And now I am remembering the lovely thin summer bed covers. I forget what they were called exactly. Haven't looked into them in a while. I think plisse summer blanket/ bed cover? Very thin fabric with satin narrow fabric going down top to bottom about a foot from the edge. I used to be so into bedding.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:22 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
+1 on duvets.

I am going to go completely contrary to everybody on this thread. I have a king, and use two queen duvets. Super luxurious, and nobody fights over blankets. If I had a queen bed, I would go with two single duvets.

Admittedly you cannot get that crisp, perfectly made look. The duvets don’t lend themselves to it, and the oversized bedding hangs over or bunches in the middle. I don’t care, the comfortfactor is worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House