Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 09:25 AM

205 posts, read 279,153 times

Advertisements

hi everyone, just wanted to seek some advice from maybe more well informed people. first time homebuyer moving into a 1950s house (mid century modern is the term I keep hearing). the prior owners renovated the house nicely including French doors in the master bedroom leading to the yard. Am I crazy to want them removed because I don't want additional access points to my house.

How much do you think something like that would run in costs?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 09:34 AM

22,567 posts, read 47,624,621 times
I would LOVE French doors from the master into a yard!

What is your house made of... as that will influence the cost of closing the opening.
I am guessing that is what you want, as windows are also access points.

Also, does removing them still allow egress?

Old 01-29-2016, 09:41 AM

205 posts, read 279,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I would LOVE French doors from the master into a yard!

What is your house made of... as that will influence the cost of closing the opening.
I am guessing that is what you want, as windows are also access points.

Also, does removing them still allow egress?

The outside of that wall is just regular looking siding. Yeah, I would probably put windows but at least for me, feels different than actually having a door there.

What do you mean by allowing egress (again first time home buyer so a lot of terms I coming to learn LOL)

Old 01-29-2016, 10:29 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,071,862 times
Egress...means going out from the bedroom to the yard. In a bedroom there is a fire code issue, I believe, where you need to be able to 'escape' through a window (of a certain minimum size) if the door is blocked.

Cost?

SWAG. Demo, disposal, framing, new windows, sheathing, siding, sheetrock, trim and paint......

Maybe a short $5,000 depending on your area and choice/cost of the windows. I am sure others will say MUCH Less, but I am trying to be realistic for good quality work.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:56 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times
In my mind I was thinking $5K if you are replacing them with windows instead

Toughest issue would be matching whatever material you are using for siding the house. You'll prob need to come up with some.

If you take the doors out nicely, and they can be reused, you can prob sell them on CL for $300-500 or so depending on condition

Old 01-29-2016, 11:43 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,589,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kretsch View Post
hi everyone, just wanted to seek some advice from maybe more well informed people. first time homebuyer moving into a 1950s house (mid century modern is the term I keep hearing). the prior owners renovated the house nicely including French doors in the master bedroom leading to the yard. Am I crazy to want them removed because I don't want additional access points to my house.

How much do you think something like that would run in costs?

Thanks

Crazy... I'd leave em myself but your home...

Old 01-29-2016, 03:20 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
I think it's pretty crazy myself. Pretty expensive, not to mention that you may have a tough time finding matching siding and you could be looking a whole house exterior paint job on top of all the other costs.

Bottom line, if someone wants into your house, they are going to get in. Just take reasonable precautions like keeping the doors locked when they are closed and enjoy the view into your yard.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:39 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Are there other windows in the room?
What is the size(s)?

Are you leaning toward Windows or completely closing off for furniture arrangement?

Ted hit most of the list- forgot one thing; electrical. Have to have at least one recepticle on the wall if there aren't any now.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:47 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times
Crazy...

Put a good lock on it and call it a window.

Embrace it! For future resale value or a fire, the door is a good thing!

Old 01-29-2016, 05:00 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,224,706 times
Don't know where you live and that does make a difference. Is the crime rate really high?

Frankly, I'd rather spend the money on an alarm system and monitoring.

If you remove them I think you'd be spending money and reducing the value of the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House